I have a leak in my roof, I think!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Jocomom, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Jocomom

Jocomom Well-Known Member

The water is in an upstairs closet and under a bathroom sink. I cannot see where it is coming from! No outward sign that the pipes under the sink are leaking. There is a slight water spot in the ceiling over the area, hence me thinking the roof. This is so out of my league. Any suggestions or recommendations on who I can call or what I can do. I really appreciate your comments. Thank you! Good day to all.

2. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

We had a leak in our bathroom over the sink with the last big rain we got. It left a plate size water spot on the ceiling. It was the pipe boot.

3. claytonian

claytonian Well-Known Member

We had the same thing happen a few years back and it turned out to be the boot as well. Hopefully, that's all it is for you - cheap enough repair unlike the leak that has sprung up in the roof of our screened in porch, which unfortunately will not be as cheap. Oh well, good thing DH and his cousin can put the new roof on it as soon as it is dried out.

4. Jocomom

Thanks for a place to start. Did either of you hire someone to check it out/do the repair or did you do it yourself? Thanks again!

5. claytonian

claytonian Well-Known Member

My husband fixed ours.

6. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

DH fixed ours too. Lift off a shingle, lift off the boot, replace the boot, put the shingle back. And somewhere in there use the caulking gun and a handful of nails. I was the go-fer on the ground so I couldn't see very good.

I just googled how to replace a pipe boot and got a few sites and forums discussing the steps in how to replace one.

7. Jocomom

Thank you for the input ladies. I'll investigate this weekend. I hope you both have a happy weekend!