New JoCo Schools?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by mingomama, May 14, 2014.

1. mingomama

mingomama Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what the new proposed schools are for Johnston County?

I heard that there was going to be a new highschool, perhaps on Polenta or Cleveland School road.

I've looked/googled for info, but can't readily find anything.

Thx.

2. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Cleveland Rams

There is a high school on Polenta. It is right across from where Indian Camp Road butts into Polenta. It is about 4 years old. I live two blocks from it.

3. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

I think you are thinking of the new Middle School they will be building. Last I heard they were working on the land purchase and haven't released the exact location yet, but it will be a Middle School

4. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Yes, I heard from someone that works at the Cleveland Middle School a year ago that there were plans to build another middle school around here, and never heard anything again. I was wondering what was happening with that. That's the only new school I've heard of going on around here.

5. Rockyv58

But if they build another middle school on Cleveland school road, I wonder where it would be built.

6. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

There's a huge plot of land across from the elementary school that is pretty vacant. There's also land next to it on Josephine.

There's plenty of pieces of land in that area with no structures on it. I'm sure someone will sell out.

7. Rockyv58

Thanks Jesse. I just realized I meant to say where on Polenta would they put it not Cleveland School Road. I figure there has to be a lot of places on Cleveland School.

8. jesse82nc

Corner of Polenta and Smith, or Polenta and Matthews are both vacant.

9. Rockyv58

Oh Okay. Thank you again.

Tell me if you had heard this. A neighbor had told me (while they were still building the High School) That there were plans on continuing Barber Mill road through to the back of the high school, and to make a street that would connect the Barber Mill Extension to Monroe Road. It was so it would alleviate any traffic that would build up on Polenta.

10. jesse82nc

It doesn't look like any property lines have changed or any property has been purchased for that project. So if there is such a project, it would likely be at least 5+ years out.

11. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

There would have been plans if your resident idiot county commissioner(Cookie Pope) would have listened or pursued it. She had her own deal going tough. So much for smart building

12. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

$17.4 Million Bid Awarded For New North Johnston Middle School
    Bordeaux Construction of Durham, has won the construction bid for the new North Johnston Middle School.

Chief Operations Officer Patrick Jacobs (pictured left) told the Board of Education Tuesday that bids were received May 29th and that negotiations had been taking place with Bordeaux over the past two weeks.

Jacob said Bordeaux’s original $18,319,000 bid was renegotiated and reduced to $17,434,190.

Three other companies bid for the project. The high bidder was HG Reynolds Company, of Aiken, South Carolina at $20,400,000. WIMCO General Contractors, of Washington, NC, submitted a $18,480,000 bid. Goldsboro-based Daniels & Daniels Construction Company submitted a $18,450,000 bid.

Johnston County School had budgeted $18.5 million for construction plus an additional $750,000 for the land purchase for the new middle school, which will be built in Micro.
    http://wtsbradio.com/localnews-wp.php

13. jesse82nc

So this is in addition to the current North Johnston Middle School in Micro? I would never have thought they would have needed two of them there.

http://www.johnston.k12.nc.us/education/components/layout/default.php?sectionid=659

Seems strange to need two when there are less people in the entire town than in the school.

14. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

15. ncmomtothree

ncmomtothree Well-Known Member

Will this new school relieve some of the overcrowding at Archer Lodge? It is currently hundreds of students over capacity.

16. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

Given the master plan that Becky Flowers has, I would say NO, even if the new school does pull a few, which is questionable since it is in the Micro area. Schools in the AL area will be overcrowded as long as the county keeps issuing building permits without making sure that the infrastructure is there.

17. WadeCorbett

WadeCorbett Well-Known Member

Rocky, I had heard from some of the land owners at that junction, that the county had talked to them about the possibility extending Barber Mill at Cleveland School Road. My understand at the time was that it would be in the long-term future but that there were no long-term plans.