Need help cleaning up & protecting

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by WhatNow, Jul 11, 2014.

1. WhatNow

WhatNow Well-Known Member

My laptop's security program ran out and I thought I had it protected but I must not since strange things keep happening.

I need to run a cleanup program and then make sure I get it protected.

So, what are the best FREE programs for me to do this with? Thanks for any help you can give me. I am not too bad in dealing with computers, but I am not anywhere close to being a Teckie. :)

2. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

3. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

CCleaner. It has file system cleaner, registry cleaner, startup review, and a few other tools. Do yourslf a favor, read the help file. (Note: Run the registry cleaner multiple times till it says there are none.)

After that run Malwarebytes (free version) to see what's lingering around from leftover malware. If it finds anything and quarentines it, run CCleaner again.

I don't run the antivirus softwares and I do just fine. The free ones are resource hogs and do just as much data mining as the malware they are looking for. They just do it more kindly.:)

I do use a firewall though. Private Firewall 7.0. Been using that as my sole protection for a long time now and it hasn't failed me.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  4. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Well-Known Member

Definately agree with Dan on Malwarebytes. Excellent program for finding Malware, Spyware and most viruses. They also offer a full protection package for a small fee but I would recommend trying the free trial of the full version first. And thanks for the link to the firewall program, Dan. I'll give it a try.

5. YoGnomo

YoGnomo Member

Last I heard, which was a couple of years ago, you have to be careful with CCleaner and the whole disk clean, or whatever that option is called. On SSD's there is a portion of the drive that CCleaner can wipe that will brick the drive. Maybe things have changed now though.

6. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Crap Cleaner is the best free tool out there. Just make sure you configure it correctly and look at all of the options before you let it loose. I use it often and it is effective. Especially with apps installed and uninstalled. Pesky programs and popups it can remove them from the machine. Just read before you use.

7. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Is Avast any better than AVG? I have been using that for years. Also I use CCleaner, spybot search & Destroy, and malwarbytes

8. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Honestly, I think most of the reputable free antivirus programs are similar. In certain cases one may be better than another, but for most of us there is not that much difference. If you have not had any problems for years I would not switch to an unknown. If you have had problems, switch and see if it helps.

9. ricks99

ricks99 Well-Known Member

10. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

On AV...You get what you pay for. If you feel safe with Free. I can't change your mind, But I can give you peace of mind.

11. siameselover

siameselover Well-Known Member

I use VIPRE. You pay for it but its for the life of your computer. I got one that had about 10 on for 100 bucks on hsn. I have not had any problems