40/42 Interchange Construction

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jesse82nc, Apr 22, 2019.

1. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Here's the same on an aerial view.

McDs New 2.jpg

markfnc likes this.
  2. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member

I wonder: once the left-turn barriers are in place, if you were going to turn out of Bojangles, for instance, how would you get turned around to go west on 42 again? Hopefully Commerce Parkway will open up again soon to allow you to get back around to Cleveland Rd.

3. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

Flashing light message board says new traffic pattern starting March 28. That should be an exciting, confused day for traffic there. I guess just jersey barriers for now to stop left turns etc.

jesse82nc likes this.
  4. Smithers

5. markfnc

Smithers likes this.
  6. markfnc

And this morning at 6 am, barrels and construction tape are up to keep you from turning left on 42 east heading from old DQ to 40. A few trying to figure out how to turn into McD. Light a McD is off.

Smithers likes this.
  7. Smithers

Since the change, I've seen:
    • Someone turn left out of Bojangles, ride on the wrong side of the road until the barrels are gone, then move back to the correct side.
    • Someone turn left out of McDonalds (ignoring the right arrow) and come out of Glen Rd the wrong way
    • Many people going westbound needing to make a U-turn back toward Bojangles, but instead of pulling up to the light that obviously is for U-turns, they block the left lane with the rear of their cars, wait for opposing traffic to clear, and make a U-turn as soon as the barrels stop.

On another note, I see the lights at Cleveland Rd and I-40 are on flash. Hopefully that means they'll make this interchange active soon!

markfnc likes this.
  8. Smithers

There are signs up at 40/42 saying "42 bridge closed from Friday 4/19 10pm until Monday 4/22 5am".

If they mean COMPLETELY closed, I would imagine that's pretty darn newsworthy. But there's nothing about it on DOT's press release page.

I suspect we'll wake up Monday morning to a diverging diamond interchange!

panthersdude2001, lgb0250 and markfnc like this.
  9. panthersdude2001

panthersdude2001 Well-Known Member

UPDATE: @Smithers is right, there is a VMS sign saying its closed. THIS IS DUE TO TRAFFIC BEING SHIFTED TO THE NEW DDI LANES (AKA Diverging Diamond Interchange, where you go in the left side of road then curve to right side)
    * Philips 76 AND Shell is PERMANENTLY CLOSED and is being demolished. No you cannot turn right onto 42 anymore and even Snoopy's has a right lane only for traffic!
    * Signs are still up at Simple Twist, despite being taped off.
    * Seems to be A LOT of sign updates, with 540 signs being partially peeking due to wind. New I-40 Benson arrow lanes are placed now.
    Also, ANOTHER traffic shift has occurred, with traffic on 40 WB AND EB being moved to the FINALLY completed bridge to the left of the current bridge.
    Lanes are being paved now on right side, and it looks like 540 W/EB bridges are coming along pretty well. Estimated Completion? Fall 2024.
    Also 70WB to 40EB is coming along pretty good, concrete was JUST poured and now the bridge is got one thing left. The dreaded parapets (aka, jersey barriers) and the bricks engraved with the road name.
    540 is NOT being done and open until September, possibly? Cannot be done in June/July unless NCDOT gets a move on .

10. panthersdude2001

Also, why they moved the date of 540 to the fall? They wanted to finish the 40 project by that time so they can get two birds killed with one stone.

11. markfnc

Shell isnt closed. it was open this morning at 6 am.

lgb0250 likes this.
  12. panthersdude2001

Then why is the sign not lit up?

13. markfnc

largest sign was lit up. 5 cars getting gas, it was open this morning. the smaller sign wasn't lit, but that was probably an elect line being hit during const.

panthersdude2001 likes this.
  14. panthersdude2001

oh ok, thanks

15. Smithers

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2024/2024-04-19-new-1-40-interchange-johnston.aspx

DOT finally made a press release about this weekend's changes. It is vague in some areas, such as "While the N.C. 42 bridge is closed, the ramp to enter I-40 West and to exit from I-40 East will remain open." I assume you can't get to I-40 West from the west side of the bridge, but it doesn't really say that.

I'm kind of irked that Cleveland Rd is going to be exit 312B. Yes, it may technically be between mile markers 312 and 313, but there are plenty of other exit numbers that don't quite line up with the mile marker, because it makes more sense. We know there will never be an exit in mile 313, so it would have just been less confusing to make Cleveland Rd exit 313.

The new Cleveland Rd exit will open up this weekend, but it sounds like they will close it again.

Also, the DDI will *not* be implemented this weekend. They're just paving this weekend. The DDI will be "perhaps in late April".

Last edited: Apr 19, 2024
    markfnc and panthersdude2001 like this.
  16. markfnc

DriveNC.gov | North Carolina Traffic, Road Closures & Travel Information

17. jesse82nc

It is all one exit, with one set of exit ramps. That is why there will be a 312A and B. You get off 40 at the same time for both exits.

markfnc likes this.
  18. markfnc

19. Smithers

In my opinion, traffic has gotten worse since they removed the light at Glen Rd. I guess in the overall light cycle, NC 42 now gets more green light time at I-40, so traffic coming off I-40 to take NC 42 West has less time to flow. Afternoon rush hour now backs up onto the interstate, and is heavy for a few miles before the exit.

I really don't see why they couldn't leave Cleveland Rd open on a regular basis now. Or, at least until they start doing more work at that intersection.

markfnc likes this.
  20. jesse82nc

After this weekend, it will remain partially open permanently.

cleveland new.jpg

markfnc likes this.