Anyone been on a flight out of RDU with these storms?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by VolleyGirl, Aug 5, 2009.

1. VolleyGirl

VolleyGirl Guest

I'm leaving for California tomorrow evening for my high school reunion and birthday (wine tasting in wine country :hurray:), but I am TERRIFIED of flying. It's unfortunate my best friend lives in California!! I'm sure there will be some sort of storm tomorrow RIGHT when my flight is. I'm thinking about not even getting on in that event and waiting until it passes. Has anyone flown out in a storm and how bad is the turbulance? I am not scared of actually dying in a crash as much as I am the emotional trauma of thinking I'm going to die. That story of the turbulance recently that sent people flying and thinking that they are going to die scares me, but I know that my chances of having something like that happen are slim to none (hopefully). Honestly, besides getting drunk I'm not sure what to do. I should have taken the train. :lol:

2. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

it'll be fine. If there is a storm, the turbulance will only be till they get above the storm. It's nerve wracking for sure. Have anyone you can get a Xanax or two from? that will take the edge off and keep your heart from racing. That's what I have to do to fly. I love going places, but always hate getting on the plane.

3. biggrw

biggrw Active Member

If the weather conditions are that bad, they will not even allow the plane to depart. Not to say that there will not be some rough air, but there should be no concern. As far as getting beat up in the plane, I think you will find that they were not wearing seat belts. Pretty dang difficult to bang your head on the ceiling of the plane if your strapped in.

4. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

I've flown quite a bit and in turbulance that we thought was going to end in disaster. Everything was always okay. I CAN assure you that they will NOT fly if it even looks like the flight would be in jeopardy. We sat on th e tarmac for quite awhile in Atlanta till they brought us all in saying it just wasn't safe to fly. We were okay w/ the delay. Better safe than sorry.

Now, a few years ago when I flew, I took dramamine and that stuff is wonderful! Very relaxing w/out being addictive or anything like that. Makes you sleepy and not so worried about hte flight. I had a nurse friend from Duke recommend it. Says it's for nausea but many use it to relax on a plane come to find out. Remember, I've flown in aeroflot planes in the heart of Russia that were held together with....wait for it....DUCK TAPE!!!! I'm not exaggerating. Other people I know that fly do ask their doc for a mild tranquilizer. I travelled w/ a family and she was a nurse. She took the tranquilizers as well. It is not as uncommon as you think ...being afraid to fly. If you are do NOT sit by the window. Flight attendants do understand fear of flying and are used to it.

I know it's not much but just wanted to say I know exactly how you feel. I wish you safe travels and do think about the dramamine. Good luck and have fun.

stephanie--mom to 7

5. KellBell

I have used dramamine before, but it just made me too sleepy...but it worked with the anxiety. My doctor will prescribe the lowest dose of xanax for the flight....she'll give me like 5. Like you said, its very common to be anxious and nervous about flying, your doc (VG) will give you something I am sure.

6. VolleyGirl

VolleyGirl Guest

do you think I could call them and ask for it? I just won't be able to get into the office. I should have thought about this. Ugh.

7. VolleyGirl

VolleyGirl Guest

oh yes. Seatbelt all the way. I don't mess around. I don't need to be traumatized and get a head injury!!

8. KellBell

if you have a good relationship with your doc or gyn....I would say yes. Mine (gyn) calls it in for me, I don't have to go in.

9. VolleyGirl

VolleyGirl Guest

okay may go with the dramamine. and the duck tape thing is totally insane!! you are much braver than I will ever be!!

10. VolleyGirl

VolleyGirl Guest

the dramamine actually may be good because I tend to get sick to my stomach with anxiety anyway so if it will help that as well then that's a bonus. tomorrow at 6:49 everyone start saying prayers for me!

11. KellBell

yes! the dramamine will work for you. I would say take one (or half one) tonite before bed and get it in your system. You'll be fine! You'll be back telling us about how much fun you had before you know it!!

12. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

6:49 AM? I'll be sleeping
    6:49 PM? Will do

Have a great time!!!

13. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

Just close your eyes and picture yourself on a long and bumpy dirt road! I flew home in hurricane Ivan and thats what I did, and it helped a lot. I was also on a small commuter plane that only sat about 40 people it that!

14. VolleyGirl

VolleyGirl Guest

PM!

15. VolleyGirl

VolleyGirl Guest

:cry: oh lordy. I also worry about puking. ok. I'm going to stop thinking about it now!

16. VolleyGirl

VolleyGirl Guest

Thank you!!

17. VolleyGirl

VolleyGirl Guest

too bad I can't get on the internet up there and give updates on my status. Not that anyone cares, but it would take my mind off of it. :lol:

18. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Small commuter plane out of RDU, across the isle is the owners wife (previous job, she is very "high society", on the other is another admin I just met for this trip from another office. We are going to Nashville. It's hot, it's sticky, I had a terrible breakfast and I am somewhat claustraphobic. Yep, I yacked, right there. I was SO embarrassed. The hoity toity lady was actually pretty cool about it, we laughed the rest of the trip, she said she didn't know you could yack without making a sound. I can! :lol:

19. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Do you have an ipod you can take, maybe some good music will ease your mind???

20. VolleyGirl

VolleyGirl Guest

so far I have not gotten sick on a flight, but so nauseous that I wished I would have to make myself feel better :ack: