Rated R movies

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jenfield, Aug 7, 2008.

1. jenfield

jenfield Active Member

I saw a sign at White Oak last night about the new policy on Rated R Movies. It stated that a person has to be 18 to buy a Rated R movie ticket or if under 18, he/she has to be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian who is 26 years old or older. Is this just the policy for the cinema at White Oak or is this nationwide?

2. mmciver

mmciver Well-Known Member

When the owner change hands a couple of months ago they instituted a 18 year old policy for R-rated movies, which is unique to their chain. The other policy, I believe, was instituted locally to discourage parents from using the theater as a babysitting service :)

3. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

According to the MPAA Movie ratings website:

Children under 17 are not allowed to attend R-rated motion pictures unaccompanied by a parent or adult guardian.

4. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

I think most have that policy... which I strongly agree with.

5. OmniOne1

OmniOne1 Well-Known Member

I don't really agree with that. I thought 17 was a great age. Remember that 17 year olds are seniors in high school. Why shouldn't they be able to get into a rated R movie? It's nothing worse than what I see in commercials these days. We trust them to drive on our streets but they can't see a scary movie or something? I mean come on. But it is what is. Doesn't affect me any. I'm old.

6. Georgiared

Georgiared Well-Known Member

My 17 yr old son went to White Oak the other day to see Step Brothers and was disappointed when he could not see it. Which I am ok with it, but ...he was not happy since the rules changed on him.. He has waited for the day he was was not Under 17 and then they change it on him...

7. mmciver

mmciver Well-Known Member

Remember that the law is still 17, but this particular chain is 18. Nothing is stopping the 17 year olds from going to Cary, Raleigh, etc... except maybe the price of gas :)

8. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Omni... you are truely your child's friend. :)

9. OmniOne1

OmniOne1 Well-Known Member

We were all young once. :)

10. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

And then I grew up. I have more respect for my "strict" father than I do my "let's be friends" mother.