A Southern Word of Advice

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by CraigSPL, Dec 29, 2009.

1. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

I have a southern accent but it's not really heavy. I catch myself putting on more of a southern accent when I'm around a group of people with a heavier accent than mine. Do any of you catch yourself doing this sometimes?

I think maybe we all do it from time to time because it's kind of...fun?

I think my main reason for doing it is because if I speak using my normal accent people will think of me as a yankee or someone not from JoCo for example. (I grew up in the big town of Raleigh! My mom was born in N.J. but grew up in the south) I do it to kind of blend in more I guess.
    I know this is some weird complex I've developed but sometimes while I'm speaking to someone with a really heavy southern accent that as soon as I reply with my regular accent the look in their eyes changes somehow!!!!!!! Paranoia will destroy ya????!!!!

DB's wife

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I probably do it to an extent, but I swear, I can tell who DH is talking to by his accent and voice inflections when he is on the phone. LOL

When DH was active duty, we were in Illinois and I used to get so aggravated by the attention my accent got me at times. I hated it!! I actually had someone say to me, "Say that again, that was so CUTE!". :ack: As a result, I worked really hard to tone it down over the years. However, living here in JC has had an impact, LOL.

3. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

I have always followed the ole saying......"know your audience".....when im around a bunch of yanks I can turn off my accent or I can make it thicker if need be......I guess you could say I'm bilingual. 8)

4. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

What's wrong with that?

Sincerely,

[​IMG]

5. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

Maybe because so many have moved here...?

6. dangerboy

@wulf wasn't that chris washburn?

@nsane yes, the influx of outsiders has watered down the colloquial. just ask the hoi toiders...

actual db, not the wife this time

7. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

Nope...Shack

8. dangerboy

10-4. with the stereos and the jacking up a domino's delivery boy, i guess i just mentally added that one to washburn's list...

9. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

Yea....not one of the better representatives of college athletics.

10. I do that a lot! I'm not even aware I'm doing it until someone says something. I'm from Raleigh too so I was around all kinds of accents growing up. Most of my friends were from up north. I used to try to talk more like them, but not anymore. I'm proud of my Southern accent. It is rare these days - even in Johnston County. :lol: