Copperheads

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Cleopatra, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I'm probably the only poster who has not seen that movie. Now I'll have to check it out.

2. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

I have not seen that movie either. I love to fly and am deathly afraid of snakes and do not want to have nightmares everytime I fly! So I didn't see the movie either.

3. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

speaking of snakes......was feeding time at my zoo friday night. 6 mice, 4 fuzzies, and a jumbo rat later and I had 5 full snakes.

4. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Haven't seen the movie either and don't intend to,I'm not afraid of snakes but going by the previews when the movie first came out it didn't look like much :ack:

5. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is true or not, but I heard that if you are bitten by a snake, and can't positively identify the type of snake (or kill it and bring it to the hospital) they won't administer anti-venom. That means dealing with all the painful side effects of the bite I guess and hoping for a good outcome.

6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Ice Chopper http://www.wral.com/news/strange/story/8178032/

7. Cleopatra

Hmmm... Looking back, I can see why these folks have not responded to my email inquiring about their five year old cat they wished to find a new home for.

Either they think I am a total smartass, or I am going to feed their cat to a copperhead. I was being sincere. :neutral:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  8. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Well-Known Member

Nope, it really is Maine alone. I thought Alaska too, but apparently they have a couple of species up there to look out for. Not that I'd move to Maine, but I'd really like to visit there. I want to travel now that the Servolettes have flown the coup.

9. jbny2076

jbny2076 Well-Known Member

My parents retired to the Adirondacks in NY and have had several close calls with some large black bears. My father has had to shoot one trying to get in the porch. Though he uses bird shot to give them a nice sting and scare them off. He won't kill them unless it gets in the house. I for one will take the copperheads over the Bears. I can outrun those.

10. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Cleo,

Be careful. Remember that my daughter was bitten by an Eastern Diamondback a while back and the venom could be seen moving up her arm. We were lucky that JMH had the anti-venom. Careful, careful.

Sherry

11. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Was this in Johnston County? Even though I've seen somewhere that they do not range in Johnston County, I'm pretty sure I killed a baby one a few years ago. It was not in a place where I felt comfortable letting it go and I didn't have anyone to call to retrieve it. It had a triangular shaped head, slit eyes and a diamond pattern...however it was just 10 inches long or so.

12. JCoRes

JCoRes Well-Known Member

Here's to Hoping you are still in search of a

cat to help tend the outside yards. Don't know if you ever heard about this group but its awesome! Rescue/vetted & no fee! You'll see why when you read upon it ..... thought I'd pass this on in case you'd be interested since you have lotsa acreage

Good luck

http://www.alleycatsandangels.org/barn.html

13. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

We have our fair share of snakes....and 6 cats that roam the yard, plus the occasional neighborhood cats that roam through to check the food bowls for leftovers... I'd hate to think how many snakes we'd have without the cats! LOL

14. Cleopatra

Wow, I never heard of that! What a good idea. Taking a feral problem from one area (like a Burger King) and making it a blessing in another area (like a farm).

15. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Yes, it was in Johnston County and the doctors thought it was a mama snake who heard some noise, came out to protect her nest and bit my daughter. It was in some small portion of woods near a golf course. Terrible day for us and they never found the snake but figured out which kind by the bite marks.

Sherry