At least 2 Sam's Club stores closed in NC

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Wayne Stollings, Jan 11, 2018.

1. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter Well-Known Member

Being ready and willing is the opposite of lazy....so no. In that case, one must go where the jobs are located. And because I know you are going to play a sad tune about how that's not realistic.....see immigration from Europe, Mexico and transient people all over the US relocating for jobs. It happens every day and has been since the beginning of time.

2. BobF

BobF Well-Known Member

Nope...I'm going to drop it right here, out of respect for the folks who want us to keep this kind of thing in the Pit.

Have a fine day, sir.

Auxie, Sherry A., Hught and 1 other person like this.
  3. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Sherry A. and Auxie like this.
  4. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

5. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

there are generally 2-3 wal marts within 10 miles of a Sam's Club. Id expect all are offered jobs at local wal mart.

6. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

I do occasionally pick up a few essentials here and there at Walmart when I absolutely need to, I just don't do the bulk of my weekly shopping there anymore by choice. Whereas I used to spend hundreds of dollars per month, I now spent maybe five or ten dollars at most. I think you may have mistaken what I have written as some kind of narrow, political screed, which it is not, since there are many other reasons why I don't like shopping at Walmart, that have nothing to do with their business practices. Walmart's push for improved "efficiency" may be a model that they will follow in the future, with advanced technologies, and so forth, but improved "efficiency" through advanced technologies are things that are not particularly valuable to me as a consumer anyway.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Auxie likes this.
  7. Wayne Stollings

About 2 years ago there was an even larger set of closings in NC:

http://www.wral.com/walmart-closing-17-nc-stores-in-january/15238615/

Walmart is closing 154 locations in the U.S., including 16 Walmart Express stores and one Supercenter in North Carolina.

The closing includes a total of 102 Walmart Express stores throughout the country. The Walmart Express concept has been in place since 2011 but they are instead going to "focus on strengthening Supercenters, optimizing Neighborhood Markets, growing the e-commerce business and expanding Pickup services for customers," according to the press release below.8

Near the Triangle, multiple stores will be closing including locations in Benson, Four Oaks, Princeton, Coats and more. The Supercenter in Durham at 1010 Martin Luther King Pkwy is also closing. All of the stores have a closing date of January 28, 2016

8. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I hate it for the employees. I like Costco and what they do for their employees.

9. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

According to retail industry news, Walmart is currently in the process of developing different types of stores in order to cater to different socio-economic groups, so while they'll be shutting down some of the typical, "big box" type stores, or transforming them into distribution centers, they'll also be experimenting with brand new models. "Project Kepler" is one of their prototype retail store models that if developed will cater to affluent customers and will have all of the latest retail technology and customized shopping services that these customers expect, while Walmart stores serving the less affluent, will be smaller and more competitive with Dollar General type stores. If a location continues to be profitable, then it will stay the same with minor changes made, but not all Walmart stores will get upgraded with the same technology, or will offer the same services, since that will largely be determined by the demographic and socioeconomic status of the customer.

10. siameselover

siameselover Well-Known Member

where is the lidls you shop at? and with all these self pays will the prices be lower? doubt it

11. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

I do my weekly shopping at the Lidl's on Falls of the Neuse in Raleigh now. It's a hike, but my husband and I usually go out to breakfast once a week in Raleigh anyway, so now we just add our shopping trip at Lidl's to that. Lidl's backed out of building on some property on Hwy 70 in Clayton, but they're still looking to build somewhere in the area, at least that's what the corporate office told me. I haven't heard anything about how the new technology at Walmart will result in lower prices for the customer, which would be nice, but I'm happier shopping at Lidl's right now, where the quality is very good, the prices are better, and overall, it's a lot more pleasant.

Auxie likes this.
  12. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Investing in American jobs…

[​IMG]

DWK and Wayne Stollings like this.
  13. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

In just the past year, Walmart paid out 20 BILLION dollars to its shareholders, invested another 17 BILLION dollars in an Indian Flipkart company, and also invested millions in additional retail mechanizations. So, yep, I’d say that picture is right on the money!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  14. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

But all is not lost in the age of retail mechanization. Last year, Walmart began testing an “innovative” concept that allows its employees to deliver customer packages using their own personal vehicles after working their shifts. The last quote is from Marc Lore’s blog, CEO of Walmart’s eCommerce division. A6DB55FE-6FF4-4A6B-9BCE-E292D75CF052.jpeg 78E41D18-5B3E-47BF-B8A6-29DAA794CA43.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Auxie likes this.
  15. Wayne Stollings

They are going to be treated as subcontractors and will have the millions of dollars in insurance in case of accidents on the way too.

16. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

I think that’s about right. I imagine Walmart will try to duplicate the success of “gig economy” businesses like Uber who also uses contractors, which is now the largest growing segment of workers in the country. Walmart won’t publish any information concerning specific employee compensation for these deliveries, but each Walmart employee is limited to delivering 10 packages per day in their personal vehicle. This delivery enterprise is being touted as a way for Walmart employees to “pick up extra cash”, but it’ll probably be just a nominal amount, considering they’re delivering packages on the last leg to their local customers. It also doesn’t appear that Walmart employees will get compensated for their mileage, gas expenditures, or “wear and tear” on their vehicles. The package limit might have something to do with existing liability laws, but the limitation might also prevent excessive road time that might increase the probability of accidents.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  17. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Feelin’ ugly?
    [​IMG]

Sherry A. likes this.
  18. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

It appears that Wal-Mart will possibly be going the same route as Montgomery-Wards, K-Mart, Radio Shack, Etc. When a new company comes out, a lot of times the older companies go under.