Parks and Rec

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jesse82nc, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Probably too late, but there is no formal presentation. You can discuss the project with representatives and look at maps.

Rockyv58 likes this.
  2. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

One thing I had suggested was where the location of the 'dog park' they had. It was out in full sun. All the dog parks I have been to have trees. My suggestion was the wooded area between the two storm drain run offs be thinned out a bit and put the dog park there. This way they would have more room for basketball courts or something else. And who the heck plays pickle ball? I'd love to see some horse shoe pits. They could be used for bocce ball

3. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

Dude. You can play horseshoes in the back yard. Not much space needd.. I'm sure the can fit a couple of pits in.

4. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Not sure if this statement is correct. This specific endeavor will mean taxes go up, but specifically for the park. While taxes can go up for a number of reasons (legislation, property revaluation, etc.) this specific tax is tied to the park. If it does not pass, the tax does not get levied.

5. poppin cork

Correct. That seems to be a misleading statement.

6. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

I'm still undecided.

If this passes, it will likely be governed by a parks and rec board, which the county commissioners will appoint. It won't be municipal, meaning that in theory, it has the ability to become run by the "good ole boys" network. That's one of my first concerns.

Secondly, while I'm all for parks and rec, and even not disgusted with paying a little for it, I think we are putting the cart before the horse.

Whether we like it or not, Clayton is creeping in on Cleveland, and if this area doesn't do something to corner itself away, we will likely eventually be annexed into Clayton.

We need to incorporate. It's been a good 12-15 years since there was any real community discussion about it, and I think instead of building an extensive parks and rec department, which is only going to cause more eventual growth and influx of people, we need to define who we are as a community.

Auxie likes this.
  7. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

8. cynadon

as per paragraph

1 yes
    2 probably
    3 maybe
    4 not likely unless you close
    5 No. unless you want to stop future development

"we been dealing with this for more than 15 or 20 years. Why you want to stop it now?"?

9. JenniferK

Future development? Good grief, where else are we going to develop? There are houses going up at an alarming rate already. A family on Cleveland School Rd might lose 2 of their homes to make room for another exit ramp.

I get it, we all, or most of us, moved here from somewhere. But at some point, you have to govern yourself and take the hit on development, or you lose the power to let the community make it's own decisions.

Auxie likes this.
  10. poppin cork

I doubt the commissioners will appoint the board. And, the good ole boys network ran things a lot better and smoother than the present(email me only) CCC directors.

How so. Maybe this a step will bring us closer to incorporating.
    I think you'll see a lot of kicking and screaming before that happens.

we are a bedroom community of Raleigh. the Park is not for future growth but it is for our current citizens. Why don't you feel the citizens of Mclemore fire district deserve this amenity.

cynadon likes this.
  11. JenniferK

Poppin-

At the interest meeting, I specifically asked about how the Parks and Rec board would be appointed or elected, and a chamber member told me they would be appointed by the county commissioners. So take that for whatever you think its worth.

I'm sure the good ole boys have done a fine job, but if you're really interested in preserving the community and embracing the people who've made it home over the last 20 years, you have to give them a chance to play too.

I don't think this will bring us any closer to incorporation, at least not anytime soon.

And it's not that I don't think the citizens of this area shouldn't have an amenity, I am just concerned about the entire process. It's a beautiful layout and an awesome thought. However, I've seen the GCAA fields garner money from this community for years and never really see any "real" improvement. Why not start there? Why not improve those fields, add some walking trails and a playground? I'm sure that the owners of the batting cages would love to unload that land, or at least I hope they would. Currently the only revenue is the rent from the church and Pelicans.

I didn't say I was against it, I just said I was unconvinced. I was also somewhat disappointed that there was not a formal presentation with a Q&A at the interest meeting. It was simply photos of what they wanted to do, with Chamber members available to mingle and meet and greet.

12. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I thought so, but thanks for the clarification. And I agree with your statement. Some people think opposing any community/government action will stop growth. Nope, not at all. Growth will only continue and it will not be controlled with the best interest of the community in mind, just the developers.

DWK likes this.
  13. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 6:00pm County Board Meeting will address this issue.

“Representatives from the Cleveland Community would like to update the Board regarding citizen feedback from recent community meetings concerning a proposed parks and recreation district and request the Board to approve them moving forward with appropriate legislation.”

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  14. ROUTER

ROUTER Well-Known Member

This may have already been discussed here, but is this the same piece of land that was going to be donated to the county before? Also, where is it? Is it central to those who will pay for it? I have no idea where this thing is located, and with it being a 15 year project I would be surprised if we are not incorporated before it is complete. Would we then be paying county property tax, city property tax, and a parks and rec property tax?

15. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

approximate location just south of Cleveland Fire Station

Capture.JPG

16. ROUTER

ROUTER Well-Known Member

Thank you, that is not the same location that was offered to the county before is it. I am thiking that was another location. Maybe further towards Smithfield on Cleveland rd?

17. cynadon

14 acres versus 81 acres? you decide ?

18. ROUTER

ROUTER Well-Known Member

What do you mean? It was real question that I was asking, was one parcel 14 and an parcel 81?

19. ROUTER

ROUTER Well-Known Member

Another question I would ask is this, who is selling the land, and for what price? I am only asking because I don't know, it may be a donation to the community for all I know.

20. cynadon

yes 14 acres was from the goodness of her heart. The tract across the street is business. Its still a great deal/oppurtunity