Amazon Distribution Center - Garner

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by markfnc, Aug 8, 2018.

1. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

Its looking more and more that the former conagra site will be the new Amazon Distribution Center. This is not the HQ2 selection that Raleigh/Durham is on short list for. Building permits have been filed and contractor/architect listed have done Amazon work before.

This will a $166 million 4 story bldg. on the former conaga site. 2000 jobs will be available there.

What do you think? This will be a good thing for construction, construction suppliers and for job opportunities down the road.

Article is TBJ today

jesse82nc and Auxie like this.
  2. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

Saw equipment there a week and a half ago when I drove by. I imagine it will take a full year before they open, at minimum.

I just hope the hours of operations are staggered from everything else, like a 5-2 shift and a 2-11 shift

3. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

In the past two weeks they've done a lot of land clearing, you can see it both from Jones Sausage Rd and from I-40.

BuzzMyMonkey likes this.
  4. markfnc

2.3 million sf. 4 stories. 1 year construction (crazy fast, even for warehouse), 1500-2000 permanent job. They announced one in Charlotte yesterday also. This announcement will be at 10 am today for the Garner site.

5. markfnc

6. markfnc

7. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Thanks, it is nice that they worked in a little memorial for the employees that died.

I was visiting the wife at town hall when they were busing all the employees in to Clayton to tell them they were shutting the place down.

8. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member

I'm curious what kind of jobs this will bring and how much they pay. If all the jobs are $10/hr box stuffers, it would be better than nothing but doesn't seem to be a huge boon to the area.

9. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

It will be to many fast food and retail store associates! Warehouse workers start at $13 minimum. Might not seem like much to some but it can create a future for many that are relegated to minimum wage jobs!

10. markfnc

I heard starting $13/hr., but after 6 mo. you get full benefits including insurance. But then again, maybe they get rid of you at 5 1/2 mo.

11. pcroom

pcroom Well-Known Member

$13.00 an hour is good but the possibility of getting benefits is GREAT!! Health insurance is to costly for most. The possibility of young people getting Medicare in the future is not going to happen. I am on Medicare and have a Medicare supplement that pays all my medical bills. If I'm not mistaken if you are able to get on a group plan it will cover preexisting health issues. When I was working it did. So, if these people have the opportunity to work hard and get the benefits, they better take advantage of this. My Medicare supplement is expensive but I could not pay out of pocket what Medicare does not pay. I sacrifice to pay for it.

Auxie, Sherry A. and Hught like this.
  12. markfnc

the place is huge!

Auxie likes this.
  13. Stinger2019

Stinger2019 Well-Known Member

I heard it is going to be built next to the new Six Flags

Hught likes this.
  14. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Compare to Lidl distribution center in Mebane:

https://www.wral.com/lidl-hiring-up...tribution-center-on-thursday-may-23/18403713/

Lidl is hosting a hiring event for their Alamance County Distribution Center on Thursday May 23 and will be hiring up to 100 new employees!

The new logistics associates will be working at the state-of-the-art Lidl Alamance County regional headquarters and distribution center at 3815 Senator Ralph Scott Parkway, Mebane, NC.

The hiring event takes place Thursday, May 23, from 9 a.m. - 7 p.m at the Distribution Center.

Select candidates will actually be given on-the-spot conditional job offers.

According to the Lidl release, "salaries for logistics associates start at $15.50 per hour, plus benefits, which can include health, dental and vision plans, and a 401(k) retirement plan with a generous company match. Accepted candidates will become integral members of the Lidl logistics team and will support new store openings in 2019. The warehouse serves as the backbone of Lidl's regional store network, guaranteeing product availability and the highest levels of freshness and quality."

15. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

I wish that retirement income would also go up to that much and prices remain the same.

Hught, Wayne Stollings and Rockyv58 like this.
  16. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Oh you want $15/hr to pack boxes or flip a burger?

https://www.supplychaindive.com/news/Amazon-packing-robotics/554642/
    • The robotic packing system would replace 24 workers in facilities that average around 2,000 workers, according to the report. Reuters puts the nationwide job cuts that could follow full implementation of robotic packing across Amazon's network at 1,300 jobs.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...lippy-back-serving-300-burgers-day/649370002/
    With automated flipping of burgers, there was no break time, and customers could get their orders consistently

17. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

As if this was not going to happen anyway? Automation has been the goal for most businesses which can implement it for decades.

jesse82nc likes this.
  18. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

Brought to us by Science and Technology. I guess we have to take the good with the bad.