Know Your Sources

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by DWK, Sep 28, 2021.

1. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

2. lawnboy

lawnboy Well-Known Member

The fact that the younger generation, or those who never went to college don't know what it's like to carry twelve hardbound books out of the library, read and highlight them, and then write a 20-page research paper like I did in 1995 tells you why we are where we are. Good information isn't easy to find, and we live in a lazy society where the masses prioritize cheap, easy, low-quality information that requires zero effort to send, receive, and perpetuate. It isn't about finding the true answer, it's about creating conversation and a sense of belonging due to the inability or lack of desire to do the research, and from the right sources.

I hated every minute of that research paper, but my determination and frustration in making it happen is something that more and more people won't do, because they don't value higher education and ASSume taking a trade class or shaking their ass on onlyfans is all they need to thrive in life for the next 60 years.

Qanon is not for me, I do not live in a fantasyland of wild conspiracies like Kyrie or Nicki who believe the vaccine is a computer virus trying to enslave them, or that there is a Satanic cult of democrats eating children in the basement of a pizza restaurant etc, etc. The only difference between me and them is education, being taught critical thinking and the value of proper sources of information.

DWK likes this.
  3. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Back in the day when newscasters had researched news people knew they had the information or they would not have presented it. Now we have news entertainment and the thought that every opinion must carry the same weight even if it is clearly made up or lacking in scientific basis. The old guard news folks left and the new organizations sold their journalistic souls to some extent for money and ratings. Some sold out worse than others but the process tainted them all before the politicians took the page from the rise of Nazi Germany and attacked the journalists that tried to maintain some level of professionalism. Then the under educated masses piled onto whatever story supported their personal beliefs regardless of fact and here we are now. The movie "Idiocracy" was supposed to be a comedy, but it seems more like a documentary than anything else over the past few years.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    DWK likes this.
  4. lawnboy

Idiocracy is a documentary Wayne, and, like you, I have observed what I call a "generational erosion" of traditional standards of decency. Not in the sense of morality, but in the sense that, when one generation grows up with Cronkite, then their offspring - my generation - grows up with Geraldo Rivera as "investigative" (ratings-driven) reporter alongside Tom Brokaw, Peter Jennings and - dare I say Dan Rather (with an asterisk in some cases), the waters get muddied. Then the generation after mine begins growing up with Fox News and Geraldo being seen as a serious correspondent, the Traditional Anchormen retiring or dying in the early 2000s, right when facebook was popping up, then Twitter shortly thereafter, then throw in a heavy dose of Maury and Mayor Springer, a very heavy dose of ADHD, video games and YouTube-star-pop-cuture distractions (aka the rise of Nicki Minaj and what she has morphed into - an apparent cultural North Star) then couple that with the rise of the Tea Party/Freedom caucus working in lockstep with Rabid Righters like Ann Coulter, Tucker, and Hannity, who, along with Rupert and Ailes were all just smarter-enough than the mass populace who tends to get distracted and entranced by things like Nicki Minaj/Facebook memes/marijuana for breakfast, then you see how we elected a future wrestling announcer President as the cherry on top of the country's reality and fact-based decay.

This progression of "source decay" should be like a 5-alarm fire for all of us who can clearly see what happens next - the kids born in the last 10 years will have grown up with the new "norms" of a wannabe Authoritarian president and violent mobs who try to overthrow Democratic government. They will be the ones who support our very own Putin by 2028/2032.

It's really a very simple exercise in connecting the dots.

How do we get kids to scrutinize sources again, and understand how to separate truth from disinformation?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    DWK and Wayne Stollings like this.
  5. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

Yep, Bidenville.

6. lawnboy

Thank Christ! He has popped his cork again. He and Buzz randomly "pop" up together. I have said before, I think they are buddies. You know, "buddies." Not that there's anything wrong with that.

What a reply though! The reply to well-thought out, educated and informed commentary is a 2 word answer with the casual version of "yes," and something about a non-existent town that has t he duly-elected POTUS' last name in it.

Sheer f***ing genius. Please, keep it up!

7. lawnboy

Cork, did you pop off a hot load before you could form the words? Need some help?

Trump, Qanon, Proud Boys, KKK, Putin, Hitler, Fascists/fine people on both sides and all his followers: patently indecent and corrosive, the definition of decay of the traditional standards of decency.

Biden, democrats, and the hundreds of nationally-known Republicans who have left the party to vote against Trump and his lackeys: the only people standing up for democracy and trying to keep alive traditional standards of decency.

Gaslighting: a specific type of manipulation where the manipulator (papa cork) is trying to get someone else (or a group of people) to question their own reality, memory or perceptions. An example would be PoppinCork saying that Joe Biden, Democrats, lifelong Republicans who didn't vote for Trump, and Matthew Dowd, George W. Bush's Chief Strategist who is now running against the fascist, racist Dan Patrick as a Democrat are the reason for the decay of traditional standards of decency in our eroding democracy.

8. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

LOFL @ lawnloser back to his self induced stupid lies again.

9. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

What does “Bidenville” actually mean? You must be delusional if you actually think that any politician can fix this broken system. My life hasn’t changed one whit under Trump or Biden, and all because I’m in control of my life, and unlike you, won’t allow some politician to change reality.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  10. poppin cork

Posting Guidelines for JohnstonCounty.Today Forums

You can voice just about any opinion you want
    here, as long as you can do it without using all those
    well known "cuss words" or making vulgar statements
    you wouldn't make in front of your mother or kids.
    If that's too vague, here's some guidelines:

1. Posts made here that contain "swearing" will be
    deleted. (We used to edit them but that is too
    time consuming. They will simply be removed.)
    That *includes* posts that contain such words
    spelled out with "@" or "$", etc in strategic
    positions. They will be deleted.

Offenders may also have their accounts removed
    without any additional warning.

Update - there are no longer any "second chances" with this. Ignore this posting guideline and your account will be removed. This includes using abbreviations, slang, memes or any other method you think you can use to circumvent this guideline.

2. Express your opinion on any topic you would like
    to - politics, abortion, homosexuality, war, peace,
    the economy...you name it! But do so with some
    sense of civility...any topic can be discussed without
    dipping into the sleaze bucket.

Update - there are no longer any "second chances" with this. Ignore this posting guideline and your account will be removed. This includes making ANY personal derogatory statements to or about any other poster on the forums.

3. Messages posted here in the JCT Discussion Group that
    are "borderline" with our guidelines are much more likely to be
    left on the board when they are posted with a valid
    e-mail address. In fact, if you feel the need to
    REALLY exercise your 1st Amendment Rights and post
    a message here which contains swearing and vulgar,
    outrageous language, please sign it with a real e-mail
    address, your REAL name and phone number.
    After all,
    anyone feeling the need to do that should have
    no problem identifying themselves to the
    community, right? (If not, then such postings
    will be considered as "graffiti" and will be removed promptly.)

Update - there are no longer any "second chances" with this. Ignore this posting guideline and your account will be removed.

4. Those that are obviously "flamers"
    who never add anything of particular value here,
    and are just name callers will probably be removed
    depending on how annoyed the Webmaster happens to be at the
    time.

Update - there are no longer any "second chances" with this. Ignore this posting guideline and your account will be removed. This includes the originator of the post AND anyone who responds. This INCLUDES hijacking original threads and posting off topic as well as posts that are obviously trying to bait others into flaming.

5. To those who ANSWER flamers and perpetuate the
    inane posts...JUST SAY NO!! Don't respond to
    those types of messages. When you do, THEY WIN!
    Annoying, name calling posts of no discussion
    value will be removed....we have other uses for
    the disk space.

REPEATING - there are no longer any "second chances" with this. Ignore this posting guideline and your account will be removed. This includes the originator of the post AND anyone who responds.

6. Postings concerning business "opportunities", advertisements
    for products or services, multi-level marketing, etc. should be
    posted in the JCT FREE Classifieds - not in the Discussion
    Group.

TO BE CLEAR - Post in the forums using the stated guidelines, stop the petty name calling and provide something of value to the discussion or your account will be removed.

11. poppin cork

12. poppin cork

13. poppin cork

14. poppin cork

15. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

PoppinCork, if you hurry, you and Buzz can get back into the facility before lockdown:

936623D9-90E8-4996-A2EB-C4E42F6492FB.jpeg

16. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

What a dirty mind. He was talking about a squirt gun with a bump stock. At least that’s how I interpreted it. Meanwhile, the real vulgarity is ignoring a deadly pandemic and being a toolboy for covid disinformation and death.

17. NJ2NC

NJ2NC Well-Known Member

Boylawn appears to be 'unhinged' to say the least.

18. poppin cork

They both must be. A two word response brings all this out? LOL

19. NJ2NC

NJ2NC Well-Known Member

There seems to be little doubt for sure. Check out the Covid thread, LOL.

poppin cork likes this.
  20. poppin cork

So, you are so ignorant that you think everybody should get a vaccine whether they have had Covid-19 or not. So antibodies don't count if you've had the virus but the vaccine is a must. If you get the vaccine you still need a face covering because the vaccinated may get the virus if you don't mask up? You are just a special kind of stupid. Wear the mask, please. You are TOO stupid to show your face in public anyway.