Diverging diamond for 40/42 exit

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by certdude, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I stand corrected, but I was concentrating on the Cleveland Rd. interchange portion of the project. The argument seems to be why there as opposed to further south on Cornwallis. I think the carwash across the street will be affected as well.

Actually, upon further examination the map may not be colored correctly. Yellow is supposed to be new road and brown is existing. Something doesn't look right at Triple Barrel property.

2. bornjoco

bornjoco Member

You let DOT come take your house and land to cause more problems and see how you feel. And don't call BS on something you know nothing about.

3. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

There's a cemetery adjacent to the car wash. I bet they won't "take" much in that area.

4. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Grave relocation workers need some love.

Auxie likes this.
  5. bornjoco

bornjoco Member

If it comes, this land want come easy for them!

6. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

I’m sorry to see anyone lose their property BUT, the Cleveland Rd option just makes so much more sense to me. Cornwallis has too much traffic already. With what, maybe another 1000 homes going in on Cornwallis is over the next couple of years it would be ridiculous to add more fuel to the fire.

At 7:30am every morning Cornwallis is already backed up for a mile or more from 42 back towards Shiloh! Add all the vehicles coming when these homes are built out you will end up with nothing but a parking lot in the near future. Now throw in the eventual 540 having an exit on Cornwallis coming from the other side of 42 is going to be hilarious. Glad I’m old enough where I probably won’t be around to see much of it.

7. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Also, if they plan it right, and build the new Cleveland Rd interchange before shutting down the 42 interchange, it would make traffic a lot better in the 40/42 area. Otherwise, the only way to the area will suck big time.

8. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Well, I guess I know a little something about it since I have been aware of the project since it was first announced back before 2014. I also acknowledge that I did in fact get the postcard, read the articles in the paper, went to the public meeting (despite being sooooo far away), have visited the website, shared the maps here, discussed the pros and cons, actually know the project manager, etc.

I live in a subdivision. To each their own, I guess, but one of the advantages that affords is that this sort of thing is less likely to happen to me. It still can, but it is less likely.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    poppin cork likes this.
  9. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

They still can. It is just a lot more difficult. I believe the process is that they have to notify all living kin and this can be a very difficult process. Then they move the headstone and what amounts to a pile of dirt from the each site and rebuild it somewhere else. Not sure how old the cemetery is, but I am guessing old enough for there not to be many remains left.

One reason to be cremated, I guess.

10. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Good point.

11. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Good luck with that. NCDOT has the power of condemnation and something that is called
    'quick take' condemnation. Hire an attorney so you can get the most for your land, but it won't be much above fair market value. I have seen it first hand though...the more you fight the less likely you are to come out to the 'good' due to legal fees, etc. Actually, the best option may be to work with DOT to see if the plans cn be altered in some way to NOT impact your property (retaining walls, etc.). However, if you succeed you will be living next to a very busy interchange if that is what you want. So good luck.

poppin cork likes this.
  12. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

13. bornjoco

bornjoco Member

So you would like to add all the people from Cornwallis Road to Cleveland Road traffic instead of splitting the traffic. Then Cleveland Road will be just like 42. Doesn't make sense to me. Cleveland Road is just as crowded as Cornwallis in the mornings, we shouldn't add more. Make sense to have at Cornwallis for that area to use and the people on this side will use 42.

14. bornjoco

bornjoco Member

Yea and it was told it was going on Cornwallis Road, then it changes. Guess the subdivisions that are being built on Cornwallis has a few people in their pockets. And so you live in a subdivision, that's great this farm has been in these people's families for generations. They should not get punished for keeping a farm that they all worked hard for. They were told by DOT when I40 was built that an interchange would not go on Cleveland Road because of being to close to the 42 exit. Which they are not closing. But I guess everyone has a price.

I went to the meeting to if you call that a meeting. I'm saying you discuss a county in their county not another county! But you can not say that everyone got the postcard, mail does get delivered to the wrong mailboxes and the card didn't say anything about Cleveland Road interchange on it. Everyone doesn't get the newspaper and the article was done on Thursday before the meeting on Monday. Sounds like they didn't want a lot of people to show up.

15. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Sounds like the government did what the law requires them to do. If you don't like the law, contact your congressman. Don't complain about it for no reason. The government is never going to go above and beyond what is required of them.

16. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

No, those were options under consideration. I still don't have an answer why they chose Cleveland, but I am sure if anyone gets it they will share it.

The families of four who live in $200,000 homes with a $1,300 mortgage payment, a car payment, and a commute to RTP do not have the extra money to bribe anyone. They are busy trying to pay for little Johnny's Christmas list. That's not how this works. If there is anything dirty it'll be from someone who would benefit from having this access to I-40. I dunno...maybe a developer who can't get approval for a subdivision due to high traffic count that this project would free up, perhaps?

Love to hear that, but it is also sad that your property is affected. I took a quick look at some of the names in the chain of title, which are names of longstanding property owners from the area. Just a guess on my part, but I would imagine some of those families sold land for subdivision at some point adding to the density of the area. The location of the two properties being affected are right in the middle of it all. No one wants to sell the family farm, but sometimes the writing is on the wall. This area has been building up for years/decades. I know it is family land, but it is sandwiched between an asphalt plant, and Interstate highway, a half dozen trucker hotels, and a carpool-traffic nightmare elementary school.

Not sure if this is another accusation of bribery or not, but no one would be told one way or another as they are still just in the planning stage. It seems to be progressing and we still don't have the answer about Cleveland vs Cornwallis. I suppose, you hear what you want to hear.

Well a 'meeting' is where people get together to discuss something and there was ample opportunity to discuss. There was a lot of that going on. Intelligent questions, concerns, etc. There was also a lot of borderline nastiness and ugliness from people who don't know how to have a civil discussion (emotions aside). I had more than enough access to DOT representatives and even had a lengthy chat with the ladies at the reception area. And Don't forget that Wake County is affected by this project as well.

How do you know what it says if you didn't get it? Regardless, the postcard is to announce the meeting. It is a postcard. They only have so much room on it.

My property is not even close to being affected by this project and I see stuff on it every 6 months, it seems. If you are affected, and you have had conversations with NCDOT before I would be darn sure to keep a real close eye on it. When they did the US 70 bypass, it affected my commute so I stayed up to speed with road closures, etc. Same with some of the bridges around here.

This project will happen even if 2 or 20,000 people showed up. There is no conspiracy here.

cynadon likes this.
  17. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

'course, nobody up there farms anymore.?

BuzzMyMonkey likes this.
  18. ROUTER

ROUTER Well-Known Member

Why are you guys so mad at bornjoco? He/She is in a bad spot on this, let em gripe about it. It's almost like yall want him to shut up because you all are afraid if he keeps complaining this project is going to be relocated to an area that affects you.

Auxie likes this.
  19. ROUTER

ROUTER Well-Known Member

Saying no matter if 2 or 20,000 people show up it would still happen is correct, but it just shows that no one cares, the plans have already been made, nothing you can do about it. With all that being said, I support the project, it is very much so needed! Just think how many more subdivisions this area can support with that additional infrastructure!

20. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

Cleveland is going to get a lot more traffic from whatever exit was chosen. If it exits onto Cornwallis it brings all this traffic past two schools where many of them will turn left onto Cleveland. With the exit at Cleveland at least there is only one school involved.

At 7:30am every morning Cornwallis is backed up from 42 down to the bridge. I’ve even seen it occasionally backed up past the bridge.

DOT doesn’t have the brightest porch light for sure, I.e., the extra lane they put in at the Clayton bypass that was closed shortly after opening. How many millions wasted? But, putting two major exits (40 & 540) onto a rural road makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Sorry it’s going onto Cleveland but putting it onto Cornwallis makes even less sense.