School Bond

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by certdude, Feb 8, 2018.

1. certdude

certdude Well-Known Member

2. WadeCorbett

WadeCorbett Well-Known Member

cynadon and jesse82nc like this.
  3. ricks99

ricks99 Well-Known Member

The NC General Assembly explicitly prohibits municipalities from charging impact fees to developers.

jesse82nc likes this.
  4. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

The Town of Clayton must have missed that memo.

Auxie likes this.
  5. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

It means you pay at the door, not 10 years down the road. It also means you pay to play / direct impact tax. It also means your taxes dollars aren't going to interest payments. Start assessing growth NOW instead of mortgaging it.

6. certdude

certdude Well-Known Member

Harvey said it right, You pay really ahead of time (before folks move in). That said I get your counter point of developers stop,but I dont see the growth stopping, I see it turning into a problem of economics. Houses become more expensive. They pass the cost onto the buyer. Which is fine by me, you want to live here, you pay to support the are to support you living here.

I forgot that they cant charge for this, honestly then I would say let the planning boards kick in. Area cant support growth for schools, no new permits. Those same developers which "passed" the law will then demand it be revoked so they can keep building. Less income due to higher cost is better than no income for them.

Auxie likes this.
  7. ROUTER

ROUTER Well-Known Member

We should just build a wall around our area

Sherry A., Rockyv58 and Hught like this.
  8. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Pssstt you may have to explain the reference to some of the folks later.

Sherry A. and Kelyel like this.
  9. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

That's what she said. :D

BuzzMyMonkey likes this.
  10. Wayne Stollings

It was a whisper ... you know speak softly and carry a big stick. As for google, you would have to hope they got the right answer, which is not always the case .....

Sherry A. and Hught like this.
  11. somethingNother

somethingNother Active Member

Update (3/6/18): https://jocoreport.com/schools-asks-commissioners-for-207-million/

On Monday, Dr. Renfrow appeared before Johnston County Commissioners asking for a total of $207 million in “needs not wants” by 2027 as recommended by the Operations Research and Education Laboratory (OREd) at NC State University.
    [...]
    As of February 1st , the County of Johnston still had $249,753,069 in debt to repay for prior school bond referendums.

Pretty scary how overcrowded the existing (and some fairly new) schools already are...

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    Auxie likes this.
  12. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Yep. It doesn't seem like any news to accompany this comes from re-examining the development process/code or attracting new major employers within the County. They chased away the CSX project, which would have meant more jobs inside JoCo.

13. Wayne Stollings

14. ricks99

ricks99 Well-Known Member

I attended the public meeting in which the report was unveiled and discussed. The OREd report was a joke. They used first month attendance when generating their report, even though they acknowledged that for the past 2 years, the second month attendance numbers were 50% higher. So right off the bat, their numbers are low.

Additionally, they did not attempt to factor in the impact of charter schools (current and planned) on the future attendance. Nor did they measure the impact of Smithfield and Selma (which represent ~10% of the county).

Color me unimpressed.

somethingNother likes this.
  15. somethingNother

somethingNother Active Member

Unbelievable. Color me not-surprised too. Sounds like OREd is a bunch of (free) NC State college interns, and their sloppy report (our future) was a meaningless final exam just to pass the semester.

Auxie likes this.