Complete 540 Project Visualization - from NCDOT Feb 2018

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JustMe, Feb 21, 2018.

1. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

jesse82nc is 540 going over or under NC 50? its hard to tell on the video, but looks like it will go under.

2. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member

It sho' nuff does look that way... On the video, anyway.

upload_2019-12-3_16-6-14.png

jesse82nc likes this.
  3. Smithers

Auxie and markfnc like this.
  4. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how much the toll fee is going to be to use it when everything is finished?

5. Smithers

No, but we can make some educated guesses:

It currently costs $3.37 to travel all 15 miles of the existed tolled portion (I measured it on the map, so I may be a little off on mileage). The section under construction now from Holly Springs to I-40 and the Clayton Bypass is about another 16 miles. So, I would expect tolls on that section to cost about the same as the first section. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $6.70 to go from I-40 in JoCo to I-40 at the Durham County line, while skipping Raleigh.

Of course, by the time the road is finished, toll rates will probably have gone up a little. But that gives you a general idea...

6. Boston Redhead

Boston Redhead Active Member

So for those of us who are map challenged, where would I pick up the extended 540 if I live in clayton, off 42 by the hospital to go towards RTP?

7. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

You have a few options, your best bet would be to get on US70 West and pick up NC540 West at the US70, I40, NC540 mega interchange. Otherwise you could also pick up NC540 at White Oak Road or US70 Business. Then you could take either NC540 East or West to RTP.

Boston Redhead likes this.
  8. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

9. markfnc

its basically just a name change, Havelock and Kinston by pass being about what's left to compete. Remove a few stops lights here and there.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  10. ricks99

ricks99 Well-Known Member

11. markfnc

jesse 82nc have you seen any website to view aerial pictures on 540 under construction. You can see what's going on when you cross it on I 40, NC 50, Saul Rd at the one end and Sunset Lake Rd at the other, but wondered about areas in between to track progress. (Or anyone else).

12. jesse82nc

I haven't, but I have thought of taking my drone out and taking some photos or videos. Maybe with the nice weather I can spend some time doing that next weekend.

markfnc likes this.
  13. markfnc

14. jesse82nc

One thing that has confused me so far. At I-40, just south of the US70 onramps, they have constructed the start to 3 different overpasses. But the comstruction drawings on the NC DOT page only show 2 overpasses.

overpasses.jpg

15. markfnc

yes I've looked at that too. wondered if one was a temp ramp/bridge, but it has the flower logo, and i don't think it would do that for a temp bridge. .

jesse82nc likes this.
  16. Smithers

Actually, there are FOUR. One is immediately south of the current flyover ramp going from I-40 East to US-70 East. Then several hundred feet down the road are three more in quick succession.

panthersdude2001 likes this.
  17. jesse82nc

I spoke with the PE in charge, and he said that the plans for the roadway changed from the most recent drawings posted online. So they are not accurate any more. I asked if the current drawings are available, but he has not responded yet.

Smithers likes this.
  18. markfnc

Jesse82nc I was on the beltline today at wade ave. Lots going on there. Do you have one of those pictures for that intersection? They are far enough along with bridge columns I think i know what the plan is, but id like to see that if you can find it.

19. jesse82nc

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/i-44.../pre-construction-map-4-hillsborough-wade.pdf
    2020-07-20_10-53-45.jpg

That's 12 lanes across on the left side for reference, including the ramps.

markfnc likes this.
  20. markfnc