2014 rabies clinics

Discussion in 'Cat Dog' started by Sdaanimal, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Sdaanimal

Sdaanimal Well-Known Member

Two of my dogs are due for their 3 yr rabies shots (one in February, one in march), and am wondering if anyone knows of an upcoming clinic in the area, or perhaps a month long special at a local vet? I heard that I can call Johnston County Animal services to schedule a time for a shot; how does this work? What is the cost? Yes, I know I could just call, but I don't want to feel like a fool if this is not true and wonder if anyone has done this? We live in Johnston County (Garner - off Cornwallis). Yes, we could just go to the vet but we frankly cannot afford to pay for exam and shot, etc. when the dogs are in good health. One would think it would be as simple as looking online, but apparently that isn't the case...thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  2. JCoRes

JCoRes Well-Known Member

I may be wrong but even though you can go low

cost rabies thru animal control/shelter, I believe they only do the 1-year (which still is cheap). You can get details on their website - it use to be $5.00 but I don't know if it still is.

Clayton Animal Hosp usuallyl does a low cost (6.00) rabies and will do the 3yr upon proof of one year .. they give all proceeds for this to JCAPL :lol::hurray:

Unfortunately I cannot remember the dates (usually twice a year) that CAH does but I'm thinking Feb is the first one (lasts a month)

You can google both JCPAL.org as well as Johnston County Animal Control to find out more info. JCAS you have to go during their operating hours which may have improved some for those who work/have busy daytime schedules.

3. Sdaanimal

Thanks for the information! We did have the opportunity to take three of our dogs to the Clayton Animal hospital last June; we really like them there. That sounds like a plan, if they have the February special. Maybe I'll call to find out, and plan to take them. Our regular vet has been Cleveland School animal Hospital and we go there for health issues when necessary (we just had to say goodbye to Pepper there last month, so I am not keen on going back there yet :cry: ). We usually go to the clinics whenever possible, wait in line with whichever canine children are due (we have 7). Going to Smithfield during business hours would not be a problem for me, as I do not have a job outside the home and am here pretty much 24/7. Am hoping for 3 yr shots, although 1 year could hold us off until we can find a 3 yr. Keeping track of all records is a juggling act, so we try to stay w/3 yr. The same shot, we were told, just a matter of getting a tag to reflect 3 yr instead of one, when we have proof of current immunization.So far, so good, with keeping up; who knows when another rescue will join us? :lol:

4. Sdaanimal

We called our vet and found out that we could take our dogs there for rabies shots only, for $18.50 apiece. We figured it was just easier to do this than to go to smithfield, pay $5/yr for 3 years, spending the gas to go there each time. It would be about the same cost. As for rabies clinics - the last time we did go to one in Benson Park, we waited in line for a very long time, only to find out we were told to get in the wrong line and had to wait in another line, on a very hot day, with 2 restless dogs. So now that we know we can just go to our vet, we're good with that. And yes, the shots ARE the same - 1 year vs 3 yrs shot - just a matter of proving current shots, because if it is the first shot for an animal, subsequent shots being considered boosters. So now we are caught up, until the next two dogs need their shots in September!:)

5. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Agri Supply of Garner will have a rabies clinic on March 29th from 8am to 11am. Shots for dogs and cats are $10 each.

409 US Hwy. 70 East
    Garner, NC 27529
    919-772-0865

6. sdw714

sdw714 Well-Known Member

In addition to the rabies clinic March 29 at Agri Supply - - Johnston County Animal Services will have a rabies clinic on Saturday, April 5, 2014 - - 2 locations
    Johnston County Animal Shelter 9:00 am – 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm
    Benson Singing Grove 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m
    ALL RABIES SHOTS ARE $5.00 EACH. CASH ONLY.

Harnett County Animal Services Rabies Clinic (1yr vaccinations only) Animal Services staff will hold a rabies clinic at the shelter on May 3 & May 4, 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm both days. This is for '1-year' vaccinations only. Cost is $5 per animal. 1100 McKay Place Lillington NC 27546

7. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

Is the Johnston County Animal Shelter at [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, San-serif, Times New Roman, Verdana]115 Shelter Way, Smithfield, NC 27577?

[/FONT]

8. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

Yes - right off of N Brightleaf.