4 port wireless router

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by Rockyv58, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Is there away to maybe use a splitter of sorts to get more ports out of it?

Currently the 4 ports are all being used.
    1. ethernet ready blue ray player
    2. laptop
    3. pc
    4. pc

I have two pc's that are not connected to it currently and I am working on getting a motorola cable modem and vonage. Vonage is going to need one of the 4 ports. I know I can disconnect the laptop and let is use the wireless part. But I still want to get all 4 pc's connected.

2. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

PS

Has anyone any information on Arris cable modems?

3. John Carr

John Carr Well-Known Member

Add a network hub or switch-takes 1 port on the router but provides an additional 5 or 8 ports depending on the model you buy. Available at Intrex Computers from $12 to $35 depending on model. My guess is that the $14 one will meet your needs just fine. Make sure that you also get the additional ethernet cables you will need. Both the switch and cables can be purchased at Staples, Office Max, etc. but will be MUCH more expensive.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  4. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

This is my setup (mind you I do this stuff for a living):

Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 --> Cisco ASA 5540 Firewall/VPN --> ASUS RT-AC68U Wireless-AC1900 Dual-Band Gigabit Router --> 2 x Linksys SE2800 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch --> Vonage/PCs/NAS/Laptop etc.

I also have a Cisco Linksys EA6500 SMART WiFi Wireless Router AC1750 connected to the ASA for a guest network.

5. John Carr

John Carr Well-Known Member

I don't think too many folks have one of those Cisco units at home.

6. certdude

certdude Well-Known Member

Notice he said this.

Arris is pretty good. I hate Ubee. Motorola are good but seem to completely die every year or so.