40/42 Interchange Construction

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jesse82nc, Apr 22, 2019.

1. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

Jesse based on these plans, do you think you will be able to access the Shell & Taco bell/KFC from the old DQ parking lot? it looks to me like they are adding islands so you can't do that.

2. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

3. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

It's hard to tell, but I don't think it will be any different than today. It looks like the curbs are roughly where they are today on the map. The red lines are the new curbs. Yellow and Orange are the new NC42 roadway surface. Green is just an easement, not new structures.

2024-07-30_15-31-50.jpg 2024-07-30_15-32-21.jpg

markfnc likes this.
  4. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member

Exit 312B, Cleveland Rd, is now fully open to get on/off the interstate in all directions.

5. markfnc

in the one picture it almost looks like islands going right where the pass thru would be. ive noticed the traffic at the shell station seems way down.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2024
  6. Smithers

To get through the 40/42 interchange area, I think it's officially quicker to go down to Cleveland Rd exit in almost every situation (well, at least all of MY situations).

If you're coming from NC 50 intending to take I-40 to Raleigh, it's quicker to turn right on Cleveland Rd and left onto I-40.

This morning, the person in front of me was following this route, except they exited back onto NC 42 East toward Wal-Mart. To get across I-40 and stay on NC 42, it's quicker to go down Cleveland Rd and go up to the next exit. You're avoiding at least 3 lights that way. Go figure!

I'm surprised by the number of vehicles that still exit I-40 onto NC-42 West, and then turn left onto Cleveland Rd... instead of having just gone down to the Cleveland Rd exit.

markfnc likes this.
  7. markfnc

i was keeping that one my secret.

8. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

It’s amazing to me how the traffic on 42 has thinned out since 312 was opened fully. Went to Bojangles at noon today and only one car in line! There were about 7 cars waiting to turn onto technology dr at the light but other than that it looked like a ghost town compared to last week. Probably has a lot todo with school being back in also.

9. Smithers

There's like 6 of us on this forum. I think we're good. :D

tassy, NOT WOKE and markfnc like this.
  10. markfnc

well, if they ever shut down this forum, we can all meet at the Bojangles at 40/42 in the morning once a week to give each other updates.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2024
    Rockyv58, tassy, Bucky and 2 others like this.
  11. markfnc

anyone that goes thru nc 42 between Lowes home improvement and old drug store rd. seen any work going on at night? when i go thru at 6 am and 6 pm i cant seen any difference in the past 4 weeks. i know we had Debby take out 3 days, but between 42 and the roundabout at Shiloh rd it seems to me they had pulled off all crews to finish 540. not sure if st Wooten is doing all of those.

12. Smithers

Some small things, yes. They've added more top asphalt layer on both ends of Technology Dr (the NC 42 side and the traffic circle side). I saw they put wheelchair cutouts in the curb at the DDI.

I'm surprised at how many people still exit the interstate onto NC 42, and then go through 3 stop lights to turn left onto Cleveland Rd. Dudes, you could have just taken the next exit and skipped all that mess!

They need to hurry up and make NC 42 have two straight lanes through Cleveland Rd toward Old Drug Store Rd. Even if one of those is a left-only lane onto ODS. That intersection is too much of a backup right now, even outside of rush hours.

markfnc likes this.
  13. markfnc

With the lights at 40/42; at night around 6 pm 42 east will back up from Cleveland / Old Drug Store light back to the pet place, Carolina Ranch. Its always a long line there.