40/42 Interchange Construction

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jesse82nc, Apr 22, 2019.

1. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

Thanks Rocky. it's really coming along well in spots. Looks like a road at least in most. Very glad this guy has posted again.

Rockyv58 and jesse82nc like this.
  2. markfnc

And yesterday afternoon all lanes were open from beltline (exit 301) to Exit 309. It was amazing going past white oak exit driving 75.

BuzzMyMonkey and jesse82nc like this.
  3. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

They said they plan to have it from the bypass to 440/beltline completely open in both directions before the end of the month. I think it will be end of the Summer at least before we see it open all the way to 40/42.

They do still have some paving of the wear coat and some final striping to do on the newly opened sections. Probably will do that at night though.

markfnc likes this.
  4. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, it looks like the afternoon backups that happened between exits 301-306 now just happen at exit 309. No matter how much warning people are given that their lanes must exit, there will always be someone that merges in at the last second and makes everyone behind them brake, causing waves of backups.

markfnc likes this.
  5. markfnc

6. markfnc

the 2nd bridge on 42 over 40 looks to be almost done. i wonder if they will start using that as designed soon? Getting the Cleveland road exit at west view will help with traffic, so maybe that will open before they start with the 42 from 40 each way work.

7. jesse82nc

They moved traffic to it last Thursday. Also the exit for 42 on I40 westbound is now before Cleveland road.

8. markfnc

Jesse have you seen any latest's 40/42 intersection plans? now that they are into it i was curious about turn lanes etc.

9. jesse82nc

This is the most current. I added some arrows that hopefully help a little.

4042.jpg

markfnc likes this.
  10. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

That's looks awful scary! :eek:

Rockyv58 likes this.
  11. jesse82nc

It's actually a really simple design even though it doesn't look it on paper. Only two intsection conflict points and free flowing on and off ramps.

markfnc and tassy like this.
  12. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

Simple and common sense doesn’t compute for many people. Certain people are in an uproar about navigating the new roundabout being built at Cornwallis/Josephine/Shiloh. I can only imagine how well this one is going to be accepted..

tassy likes this.
  13. tukasiya

tukasiya Well-Known Member

It will be like a demolition derby. DOT is going to screw the people trying to make a left turn out of South Hills Subd. They will likely have to make a right turn, go to the roundabout, take their chances in the roundabout, and then come back by their subdivision to get up to Hwy. 42. Our government at work.

14. markfnc

15. jesse82nc

Looks like it has been working great at the Jones Sausage Road interchange so far. Haven't seen any major build ups of traffic.

lgb0250 and markfnc like this.
  16. markfnc

I noticed this weekend that the 76-gas station at 40/42 has closed. Store is empty, gas pumps gone, and sign gone. Sign on door said, "gas pumps don't work, store has closed". I am up there often but hadn't noticed until Christmas eve. Anyone heard about what's going on there?

17. markfnc

Breezeway/76 e mailed me back. Closed for good.
    The Garner location is closed for good.
    Julia Eubanks
    Director, Corporate Operations
    8021 Chapel Hill Road, Cary, NC 27513

Rockyv58 likes this.
  18. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I think when i first moved out here almost 24 years ago they had a pizza stand inside of it that was run by the people who own Venero's

19. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

I was thinking it was in the BP station next to it.
    I could be wrong though.

20. markfnc

yes, i think before the BP had the subway, it had a pizza place.