A $3.5 million contract means smoother commutes on the U.S. 70 Bypass in Johnston County.

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Webmaster, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

The contract is for milling and resurfacing 9.6 miles of the bypass in each direction between Sadisco Road and the Wake County line.

And it’s particularly significant as the U.S. 70 corridor between I-40 and Morehead City was recently designated as the future I-42. It’s a label economic developers have repeatedly called a tool in the effort to lure job-creating manufacturers to the region.

Chris Johnson, economic development director for Johnston County, calls the contracted improvements a “welcomed” project.
    https://www.bizjournals.com/triangl...-in-johnston-county-to-get-a-3-5-million.html

Michael smith likes this.
  2. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Way to work on a road that would probably be fine for another 5 years as is.

But still completely neglect the 40/42 area and nc42 from Cleveland to Cornwallis which desperately needs to be widened.

On another note, the pavement on that road is not even 10 years old yet and was very well built when it was done. Didn't it take like 30 years before they repaved 40?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    Auxie and Rockyv58 like this.
  3. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

I know somebody that knows something. He says you can widen 42 around 40 all you want. The bridge below walmart is still not a DOT target.

4. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

After the last few storms, and the age of that bridge, I know the pilings have washed out a bit. I find to hard to believe that they have no plans to replace and widen it.

But to start, a long right turn lane at the North, East, and West sides of the 42 and Cornwallis intersection would be a big help for the area. 600' on the North side to Pisgah, 1000' on the East side to where they are working on 42 now, and 1600' on the West side back to the small shopping center where Kelly's Karz is. As part of that, extend back the left turn lanes an additional 100-300' as well. That wouldn't be extremely difficult, and wouldn't solve all the problems, but it should help quite a bit.

40/42 is a lost cause without major rehab.

Auxie and Rockyv58 like this.
  5. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

The economic development scene is a shady place.

6. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter Well-Known Member

That whole area is a disaster.

Rockyv58 likes this.