A neighbor is harrassing me

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by CheerBearNc, Jun 18, 2007.

1. openminded

openminded Well-Known Member

I can see both views on this issue. I have a neighbor that runs a yard cleaning service, brings home the yard debri throughout the year and burns in his backyard, black smoke for hours on burning days. Yours sounds to be very small amount of burning/contained and not an everyday event. My neighbors burning stinks up the neighborhood for hours on beautiful spring/summer/fall days when you'd love to have your windows open etc.. We don't complain because it's not that big of an issue with us, we have no respiratory problems that would be bothered by this, it just stinks up the house for a limited time and then it's gone. But, if we did have a big issue I'd approach him in a neighborly manner and suggest that he give me fare warning and create a system that would work for the both of us, such as: times/days that I'd be gone and he could burn etc.. Your new neighbor has approached this in a very hostile manner, she should have given you a chance to work with her on this. Good luck.

2. Grammie

Grammie Guest

Let your mother kick her hind end. (Only kidding people.)

3. CheerBearNc

CheerBearNc Guest

I appreciate the support and advice from all of you. I wish that she did approach us because we would have worked with her and burned while she was working. The fire was always very small and maybe a once a week or every other week event. Now she is going around to neighbors- not that they listen, we have been here 7 years and know almost all of them personally, but it just gets to a point where enough is enough. The burning stopped just as she wanted and now she is complaining that the barrell should not be on our property.

4. openminded

openminded Well-Known Member

So sorry for you. Looks as if this is going to be just one of those nightmare kinda neighbors. After the barrel she'll find something else to complain about and her list will just keep getting bigger. There are those that just have to have something to complain about all the time, she's sounds like one. I hope you can resolve things and live quietly as neighbors.

5. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

You know what? Honestly...people like that thrive on drama and confrontation. Stay within the letter of the law, laugh with your neighbors about her cattiness, and then ignore her.

Don't respond to her or her antics and eventually she will get bored with you and move on to someone else.

6. Melynda

Melynda Well-Known Member

7. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

yes yes...get a PERMIT to do it....that would be AWESOME!!! IN YOUR FACE Mrs. Kravitz......

and blow it up, the permit, in huge 36 FONT and paste it to your front door, so she can see it good through her binoculars......:lol:

8. Angeleyes

Angeleyes Guest

I say get the burning permit.Put up a fence plant trees something so she can't see whats going on in your yard. Also, next time she leaves you a note call the sherif on her charge her with trespassing put a sign up faceing her yard.If she confronts her tell her " this neighbor hood has room for 1 b... and I'm it back off" say it mean enough she will stay away. I've done this before it works . Then go on about your buisness and if she continues to bother you drag her in your yard whip her butt j/k about that last part kinda lol

9. 26.2

26.2 Well-Known Member

I just spoke with an Air Quality Regional Supervisor for our area. He said that the 1000 foot rule was for clearing of land not burning yard waste. He further stated that you could burn yard material thet came from your lot without distance restriction as long as it was continuously attended and adequate fire protection was available, ie. a hose.

He did remind me however not to burn on a code orange day which it is today. I'm beginning to wonder if we'll ever get rain again.

Good luck.

10. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

The permit is for open burning as in a brush pile or clearing land not in a container such as a burn barrel.

11. 26.2

26.2 Well-Known Member

Forgive me, but one further condition was that no public pick up of yard waste was available to qualify.

12. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

That was my reading of the regulations as well, but since the deputy had given the 1000 foot instructions it would be better to get an "official" interpretation to reference.

13. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

In other words, if you live inside the city limits and they will pick up your yard waste from the curb, then you can't burn it? But if that's not available, like throughout the county outside city limits, then you can? That actually makes sense!

14. magnolia

magnolia Well-Known Member

15. Vitameatavegemin

Vitameatavegemin Well-Known Member

Wow. I mean...WOW... I'm not a fan of homeowner associations, but maybe... I am rendered speechless...wow...

16. Tit4Tat

Tit4Tat Well-Known Member

OMG, I thought that lady was being a little to nosy. All up in the mans back yard. I agree with some of the things she is saying about the trash but come on. Go knock on the door and tell him to clean up or something. How about taking a legal route? A website with pics of his house, I smell a lawsuit. FYI< I do not know the laws in Georgia.
    Things were not up to HER standards. Snooty ******.

17. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

Magnolia, that story was so funny, thanks for sharing it! Don't you know his co-workers looked looked forward the seeing him at the water fountain? :lol: I'm guessing the redneck's house eventually sold since it has been years since the author updated the website. Or maybe he finally gave up and moved away.

Tit4tat, what woman are you talking about? :?

18. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

Sammy is leaving... I think the end of July maybe.

19. Tit4Tat

Tit4Tat Well-Known Member

The man, sorry. The redneck neighbor link.

20. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

I can tell you when you move into a nice neighborhood and pay $200+K for a house, you don't want a bunch of trashy crap in the yard, etc.

If you want to live like that, move in the country on a bunch of land and you can do what you want. If you live in a subdivision, respect your neighbors and their land value, even if you don't care about yours.