A place for random thoughts....

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JenniferK, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Codeine is an opiate analog, as is dextromethrophan. The DM component is non narcotic. Another option is a Tessalon Perle, which actually numbs the cough reflex.

Cough is a normal process, by which the body is trying to clear the lungs and respiratory tract of foreign irritants. A ''dry" cough (nonproductive) is where the respiratory tract is trying to clear itself of mucus and suspensed particles in it that are too thick to eject. Usually, guiafenesin is used to thin the thick tenacious mucus. Studies indicate that 1200 to 2400 mg of guiafeneisin is needed to thin the mucus in most adults.

Disclaimer I am not a health provider, nor do I play one on TV. Check with your physician, before you modify any health regimen.

Check with your Health Care Provider and see if this makes sense to them.

2. Thanks for the info - I have been taking guiafeneisin. The only reason I really like the prescription medicine is because it helps me sleep rather than cough all night. Because it can be addictive, doctors hesitate to prescribe it. I've been using it off and on for years and have never been addicted to it. Oh well... I just hope I can get over this soon.

3. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

gosh, I hope we get some rain today. :?

4. GarnerGirl2000

GarnerGirl2000 Well-Known Member

I am loving it bc we just had our yard landscaped with sod flowers bushes the whole works and havent had any rain since! :hurray:

5. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

on a side note: do you have this cough often? I was watching The Doctors the other day and they said chronic coughing is a sign of asthma.

6. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I hope it wasn't one of you who rear ended my DH this morning. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

He's alright. Just really ticked off. I mean REALLY ticked off.

7. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Oh, HG!! So sorry to hear that! Hope the damage wasn't too bad. :grouphug:

8. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

wasn't me. i'm working at home. glad he's ok.

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

It wasn't me either, I was still in bed....................:p

10. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Not me! I'm here waiting for all these wrecks to clear up. Glad he was okay, where is he?

11. harleygirl

401 / beltline :?

What sucks is .... had the whole day booked had to call people to reschedule them, of course some of them take off work. BUT somehow it's my fault. I just about lost it with one person today. :boxing:

12. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Sometimes the prescription stuff is the only thing that helps. I had a terrible bout of bronchitis a couple years ago, coughed til I............ well..............anyway. The doc finally prescribed the codeine for night time and the pearl ones for the day. It still took another week until I stopped. Never slept so well in my life though. :mrgreen:

13. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

me either... I was watching Grays Anatomy!

14. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

not I as I'm stuck here at work.

15. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

i think i inherited twin teenagers this weekend.

16. seabee

seabee Guest

oops... sorry I was checking out 40/42 not really paying attention... all is good though. send me re-schedule bill.

17. harleygirl

Some good news, the tires and rims are in at Twin Specialities, being balanced as we speak! :hurray:

So today we should have tires on, buff the fenders and tank and are *almost* ready to go!!!! <everyone cross your fingers>

18. seabee

seabee Guest

you gonna ride today....:jester::jester:

19. harleygirl

Nah, just getting it ready. We have a deadline. 8)

20. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Tangy, I finally went through all of the stuff I unloaded into my spare room from relay...I think I have a bag that belongs to you! LOL