A place for random thoughts....

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JenniferK, Mar 15, 2006.

1. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I'm definitely thinking if men had to get their sensitive bits squished flat they would come up with a better way.

That's what we need to do ladies, come up with a kinder, gentler mammogram machine.

2. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I went there for mine about this time last year. Its the digital machine, it didn't seem like things had to be cranked down quite as tight as the older machines to me. I've been having them done since I was 35, and also have had to do extra diagnostic ones at Wake Med. What is nice is that because they are digital the images are automatic and there is no waiting for the films to be developed and looked at before they let you go. Overall I had a good experience over at the new facility on 42 (atleast as good as those things can go).

3. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Just a side note for those that haven't seen this in the news...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20110213/hl_hsn/fdaapprovesfirst3dmammogramdevice

Some men I guess have to have it done. Men can get breast cancer, too...although its obviously more rare. Cases in point are an increase number of cases in med reportedly associated with the water supply in Jacksonville, NC. Not sure what ever came of all that or if its still in litigation.

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I want to know what happened to the tradition of bringing food in when someone passes. Do you know I had to take my Mother out to eat after my step-father's funeral last week in PA. Really???? Maybe it's just a Southern thing to do it, I don't know, but I can tell you that in VA the family would suffer an over abundance of food, not the other way around. :?

5. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I think it's a southern thing. When my FIL passed (fam from NY) they all lined up to receive at the viewing. I've never seen that before in my life. And when people brought food in to the MIL, she was surprised.

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Well, that makes me feel a little better. I was just honestly suprised. Some of our cousins that lived in MD came and brought cakes and what not, but I was just kinda :shock:. The last thing we wanted to do was cook for people and that is what I ended up doing on top of being sick as a dog with bronchitis. My poor mother was about to worry herself sick about it too.

Thank God I'm Southern then, because food is what we do when stuff like that happens. I've always appreciated it, but I certainly will even more now.

7. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Its a southern thing....

Up north we usually will have coffee & pastry after the wake (with a receiving line). It will usually be at the familys home, and usually only family and close friends come back to the house. A friend of the family usually volunteers to leave the wake early and go back to the house and set out the pastries and get the coffee going. It gives the close family and friends a little more time to spend with the family, because in the receiving line there isn't much time to really talk to people.

After the funeral, there is usually a dinner or luncheon with a selected menu at a nice restaurant. Everyone who comes to the funeral is invited and the family of the deceased generally picks up the entire tab.

Maybe this is generally more Italian...but its the way my family has always done them.

8. GarnerGirl2000

GarnerGirl2000 Well-Known Member

We have men that come in all the time that have to have mammo's done!

9. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

This is what I'd heard - and I thought 'good God' who could afford all that, on top of the funeral expenses - seems crazy to me!!! In Dec a friend of ours died and his family came down from 'the north' and could not get over all the food that was being brought in to feed everyone - and they kept saying how is was just the opposite up there.

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

OK, good it wasn't just me then. Holy crap, there is no way I could have paid for all those people a restaurant meal. :?

11. nsanemom22

I'ma tell ya what. When I drop dead, Bring a casserole or at least a take out from Bojangles, cuz my husband is A- going to be too distraught to be concerned to be thinking of feeding someone else's gut and B- well... just get over it. lol I'm sorry but this is just striking a funny chord, though I'm sure it shouldn't. But ... Well dammit. We just do things different 'round here. ... If you want to have a party and carry on while I'm grieving my son, or whom ever, get a room.

LOL really.

I LOVE Noo Yoorwak. It's on my bucket list. (and Noo Joisey, and Philly and Bahstan, Mass.) I wouldn't trade you guys for the world. but there's some things I just can't grasp.

12. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

nsane, I just lurve you, LOL.

I can't tell you how stressful that was on top of everything else that was going on. I was thinking to myself............not even a KFC bucket????? Dern. It was awful!! Who can enjoy a restaurant meal at a time like that? And expect the deceased's family to pay for it?? OMG!!

To each their own, and I am getting that traditions apparently vary, but wow!!

13. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Wife knows what expectations I have for my funeral. I want military rites and at the end to have someone off in the distance playing amazing grace on the pipes.

once it's all said and done and the weeping and crying (should there actually be any) is over I want everyone to enjoy the rest of the event with a kegger and a pig pickin.

14. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

I had mine done in November with the new machine. A lot less "pancaking". :)

15. nsanemom22

Hey?! ZumbaByMarie...Marie, do you have day classes?

16. ZUMBAbyMARIE

The only day class I have is the Zumba in the Circuit class at Curves. It's on Wednesdays at 9:30 and 10:00.

17. hhicshg

hhicshg Well-Known Member

18. ZUMBAbyMARIE

19. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

that was funny - thanks for sharing! I watched a few of her other ones too! :lol:

20. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

i am with you, we always bring food and had food brought to us when it was a death in our family - i just cannot imagine having to worry about cooking at a time like that or feeding a huge crowd in a restaurant but i guess it's the Southern in us too.