A place for random thoughts....

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JenniferK, Mar 15, 2006.

1. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

2. elims

elims Well-Known Member

3. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

what a bunch of dumb a s s e s.

:roll:

4. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I still bake my potatoes in the oven, am I the only one?

I still put my eggs on to boil for 20 minutes....starting in cool water then letting it get to a boil, am I the only one?

Sherry

5. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

Nope, I do the same thing; love a real BAKED potato with all the junk. I do the same with hard boiled eggs; trick on that though, put the egg in the cool water, bring to a boil, shut off the heat, cover it and wait 20 minutes and they are perfectly hardboiled.

6. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I still do both this way. I hate microwaves. H A T E. they stink. I do not use one. My kids & hubby do, but not me.

7. Sherry A.

Thanks you two. Everyone at work uses a microwave and I thought to myself that I must be the only one still doing it the way I was taught.

Sherry

8. HidesinOBX

How would you hard boil an egg in the micro anyway? The few times I've tried to make scrambled eggs, they 'spode!

9. Sherry A.

I'll ask these wise women at work. :lol:

Sherry

10. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

11. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

I do my potatoes both ways - just depends on how much time I have. :lol:
    IF I have planned ahead, I also use my crock pot to bake my potatoes - it takes about 6 hrs - but saves on heating up the oven!

12. Sherry A.

I have not used my crock pot in a long time. Think I will dust it off and use it again after your post.

Sherry

13. HidesinOBX

This takes about the same amount of time as it does on the stove, plus I won't have to wear safety glasses to do it. I'll stick with the stovetop method, but this is interesting to know.

14. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

It may take the same amount of time, but it takes less electricity and it doesn't heat up the kitchen (causing the a/c to run longer) as stoves are wont to do.

I remember seeing a device several years ago in which you would crack an egg, put it in the device (which looked like an egg) and then you could safely microwave. I don't know if they didn't work, or if people (the consumer) just didn't get it, or what. Maybe I'll try to see if I can find one.

15. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Found it...
    http://www.solutions.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1010&itemType=PRODUCT

Oh, and my comment above about using less electricity to microwave the egg compared to cooking on a stovetop... One presumes your stove is electric. If you have a gas stove, you won't use less electricity to microwave, you'll use more (obviously).

My comment about heating the kitchen more with a stove than with a microwave still stands, however.

16. Sherry A.

Yep, that's what 2 coworkers use.

17. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

I'd like to say I have used the microwave to cook ears of corn that's listed on another thread. It works amazingly. Good, crisp, and the shucks and silk come right off. Man I love fresh corn!!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  18. hhicshg

hhicshg Well-Known Member

The little thing you can purchase is called an "Eggie". They have them at Walgreen's and other places. You break your egg and put the egg into the eggie. Put the lid on it. Put in in a container in which water can boil. Then pop it into the microwave.

19. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

Ever have one of those days when you're sorry you opened your mouth????:banghead::boxing:

20. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Usually, especially on 4042.