A place for random thoughts....

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JenniferK, Mar 15, 2006.

1. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

The 2 yo napped on the way to the restaurant, which is why he was well behaved in the restaurant. We tried everything in the mall to make him happy - believe me! He wanted to get out of the stroller, which I wouldn't do because then he'd be running. Then you'd (or someone else) would be complaining about that! We ended up leaving a lot earlier than we wanted to...

2. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

My 8 yo would much rather go to Kobe than McD's. And the 2 yo loved it as well...I do not live the kind of life where every time I want to go somewhere I leave the kids at home. I had kids to enjoy them, and spend time with them. Occassionally we have days like this, it's not the end of the world. I'm sorry I'm not a perfect parent like you, sounds like I have a lot to learn...Maybe you could teach me? And yes, I do go out on date nights with hubby without kids as well. And there's usually another kid crying somewhere and it doesn't drive me crazy like it does some people. I usually feel bad for the parents.

3. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

As I would, too!

4. DAH22

DAH22 Well-Known Member

5. Cleopatra

I agree with this, too. Babies are so portable, anyway. Just pack a bag and go. As they get older, outline the consequences ahead of time and most importantly follow through!

I take my girls out to eat about once a week. Last week we went to Applebee's and on Friday we went to Locked & Loaded. I bring crayons and paper if the restaurant does not have it, snacks if the food takes a while, and other little toys. It's like the boyscouts, Be Prepared!

The only person I had to give the stank eye to last week, was a mom at Applebee's who kept threatening to take her 1 YO to the bathroom while she kept swatting her bottom/leg for being a..... well, a typical 1 YO. THAT makes me just as mad as an out of control child with clueless parents.

6. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

7. Cleopatra

I'm gonna have to disagree with you here, Tassy. I don't eat McDonalds, let alone feed that garbage to my kids. They don't even know what the Golden Arches are! But you know, you and Craig and I have had this discussion quite a few times! I work very had to entertain and train my children, which is why I frequent "sit down" restaurants during the week while Daddy is at work - so when the whole family goes out it is enjoyable for us and the other patrons.

Hey - we should do lunch sometime!

8. Cleopatra

9. ShrtnSwt

ShrtnSwt Well-Known Member

10. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

You know, I know we've had this discussion.. and I love you Cleo! I can appreciate that you have worked with your children and obviously pack for the occasion when you go out so you have all the bases covered. But in the event, none of the packed entertainment worked and little Janie has been screaming and/or whining continually and nothing is making the child happy... what do you do?

It is just, and will always be my opinion that the general public (including people with well behaved children) should not have to be subjected to children that cannot be controlled or entertained by their parents. And maybe that is due to my own upbringing, DH and I were both brought up similarly. His grandmother would send him out back to pick his own switch when he didn't obey. I got spanked good one time at a very young age, and I learned a life long lesson. My sister didn't learn so quickly, and I know there were times when I was taken out and my sister was left with the babysitter because my mother wasn't going to be embarassed by a misbehaving child.

Love ya Cleo...when can you get that babysitter???? :mrgreen:

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  11. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

12. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Have a beautiful Tuesday everyone!!

:jester:

13. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

Morning everyone!!! 8)

14. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Reminds me of several instances that happened when my daughter was young:

1) family, friends, my daughter and I went to Applebees when she was still in a high chair. She kept moving around, making a mess and talking loudly. After a short time I placed my order to go, took her to the car and asked someone at the table to bring my order out to the car for me to eat. The two of us sat in the car, I ate when the food came out and she watched as others she knew had fun in the restaurant. Never happened again.

2) shopping with my daughter at Belks when she was about 4. Great sale on children's clothing and I had an arm full. My daughter decided it was time to play hide and seek. As I found her, with my arms full of clothes, she ran. Stupid me, I ran after her which made her think it was funny. I had to throw the clothes on the floor because she ran into the mall. I caught her, picked her up, held her like a sack of potatoes, walked back into Belks, leaned down and grabbed the clothes and got in line to pay. I put her on the floor, stomach down, with my foot on her back and moved her up each time the line moved. Several people made comments but when I explained what had happened it took all they could do not to laugh. Never happened again.

3) at the same mall as above and about the same age I took my daughter and friend of hers to the toy store one day. They walked around playing with items and when we left I noticed they were laughing and hiding something from me. They had found a gummy worm on the toy store floor and had taken it, thinking they were sneaky. I knew someone had dropped it but it was not the gummy worm it was the way they were acting that made me react the way I did. I marched the two girls back into the toy store with the gummy worm and stand in line to turn it into the cashier along with an apology. Both were crying and a lady in line asked them why they were crying. They explained and the lady told me that she thought I should let it go. I told her it was none of her business and continued to stand in line. When they turned it in to the cashier and apologized the cashier said "That's okay, it is just candy." I let her and the kids know that this was not the point. The point was they thought they had stolen something and that it was funny. I did not care what it was or how much it cost they were to return it and apologize. I let the clerk know that sometimes small lessons are learned early. Never happened again.

Sherry

P.S. Have a great day!

15. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

They would probably be just as "entertained" if Ronald McDonald come by your table at McDonalds blowing up kiddie ballons and painting faces. At that age I would doubt they have any real appreciation for that kind of a meal/show.

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  16. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Durham, Wilson and So. Raleigh.

Today should be a blast. :?

17. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

My daughter and her friends have loved Kanki for many, many years. The cooks are very entertaining and now that my daughter is older she still loves it. We always get enough for several meals. I think I started taking her when she was around five and she just loves those Japanese places. She could eat sushi everyday, I think. Turned her on to P.F. Chang's and I regret it. We flip a coin sometimes to see which one we will go too.

Sherry

18. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

Lunchtime!!! I'm going early today cause i'm starving!!!!!! :mrgreen:

19. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

I'm hungry too but I can't make up my mind what I want.

20. le

le Well-Known Member