Adhd and everything that goes with it

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by misy68, Dec 31, 2009.

1. misy68

misy68 Active Member

Homeschooling and special needs

Anyone have any good advice for me on homeschooling?
    I have just recently been looking at this and it seems very overwhelming. One thing that I really need to know for sure is if I were to homeschool my daughter for a year or so and I put her back in public school, how do they decide what grade to put her in? Does she take a test or something? It's just that she has adhd with odd and the public school just isn't cutting it. She doesn't want to be homeschooled, (because of not being with other kids) but anyone who knows about these kids knows that they "usually" have problems with other kids anyway. So what I decided is to take her out anyway and try to hook her up with other kids in the same situation and maybe she would have better friends that way. I really need input on this one.
    Thanks Misy

2. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Misy, I do promise to call you this week. Been crazy here at Chaos Manor--LOL. I pulled my son out during 1/2 of 6th grade & all of 7th. My daughter was out half of 7th and all of 8th. It was by far the best thing I ever did. I'll talk to you in depth about homeschooling w/ ADHD & ODD. They actually CHANGE once home & get a sense of calm. Their life is not as chaotic and they leanr so much more. I couldn't believe it. A very helpful yahoo group was GiftsNC. Parents w/ all kinds of special needs kids who are homeschooling. And you're right, they don't do well w/ other kids though they want that interaction. So giftsnc usually has parents wanting a small group gathering and such. Works out very well for the homeschoolers. There is so much to keep them busy. You are only required to do testing once a year in the state of NC. And guess what?! You do NOT have to teach the bloody test like they do in JCPS. That's right, they can learn what you want them to learn and it will be very enlightening. I promise to call you later. PM me again for a reminder. Good luck and I have a lot of great sites and information that I learned along the way. I sent them back to public school but we are seriously contemplating pulling some out again. I just don't think kids should be allowed to take the test over and over and over again till they pass it. We went to school, studied, took a test. You got the grade you got and deserved that grade. BTW, I learned extensively from a former teacher w/ JCPS just how the special ed/ resource students are graded. Interesting to say the least. Can't wait to talk w/ you.

Stephanie--mom to 7

3. 3BabyBears

3BabyBears Guest

lawyer

I found this information on a special needs resource page:

Mrs. STACEY BAWTINHIMER (Attorney)
    LAW OFFICE OF STACEY BAWTINHIMER
    P.O. BOX 9
    AYDEN, NC 28513
    Phone: 252-349-3273
    Fax: 252-439-0269
    Email: bawtinhimer@coastalnet.com

CYNTHIA DANIELS-HALL (Advocate)

2054 KILDAIRE FARM ROAD
    CARY, NC 27511
    Phone: 919-389-1469
    Fax: 919-469-2684
    Email: danielshallc@aol.com

I'm not sure how up to date any of it is, and I don't have personal experience with either lawyer. However, my sister is a special education teacher, and she has heard good things about Stacy Bawtinhimer.

Good Luck!

4. gardnerjanelle

gardnerjanelle Well-Known Member

ADHD Group

Wondering if a support group of sorts was started? I am REALLY struggling with my adhd son and would love some advice/comisseration.

5. VivianS

VivianS Well-Known Member

http://www.nami.org/ click on Support and Programs, that will bring you to the discussion groups and there is one for ADHD. :) Hope this helps.