AIG meetings

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Phantom, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Phantom

Phantom Member

I do plan on attending both the Benson and Archer Lodge (Clayton News Star) forums and hope to see many of you there!

I am all for religious freedom. I believe everyone has the right to practice whatever religion they choose. However, our school district does have set policies and a dress code that every student is expected to follow while on school grounds. The dress code is given to parents and students at the beginning of the year, usually orientation before school, and is posted online for anyone to see. If a student or parent believes one of those policies is wrong/unfair, there is a way to express that opinion and work with the system to try and have it changed. Therefore, I believe this young lady and her mother should respect the dress code and follow it.

And this student and her mother can request a waiver of the policy that bans her nose piercing. I haven’t spoken to anyone on the school board concerning this matter but I’m assuming from what has been reported on her chosen religion that because she isn’t required to wear her piercing all the time, perhaps they feel it doesn’t warrant a waiver in this case. That would be the way that I would lean.

This does not mean that I agree with every policy set by the school board and the school administration. I do think that as parents, we have every right to question any policy that we deem unreasonable or simply don’t understand in order to find out why that particular policy was put into place. Students also have this right. Personally, I don’t believe that the school board and administration make these policies at random but have solid reasons for them. Still, the best way to get things changed is to get involved and have your voice heard. Sitting back and complaining about how unfair policies are doesn’t do anyone, especially the students, any good.

2. jumpin4joync

jumpin4joync Well-Known Member

Thank you. I will let folks know that you have confirmed to be participating tonight and next week.

Thanks for the response as well to the student with the nose piercing.

3. Phantom

Phantom Member

I hope some of you were able to make the Benson forum this past Thursday. Will any of you be going to the one at Archer Lodge?

Please feel free to post or PM me any questions you have concerning my campaign for school board.