And the housing market continues to grow

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by lgb0250, Apr 10, 2017.

1. ricks99

ricks99 Well-Known Member

Sorry if I mis-inferred your statement. Your description of "specific types of people" seemed to hint of disdain (at least, that's how I read it). My apologies if that was not the case.

I'm not from JoCo originally... I've only been her for about 6 years. We specifically choose to live here (as opposed to Raleigh or Cary). But make no mistake, there are two completely different JoCos -- the booming 40/42, Cleveland, and Clayton areas.... and the rest of us. The JoCo schools are a perfect indicator of this. Just sayin'...

2. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

As always, if you don't like what's happening, buy the property and do what you like. I would love to spend a day with my kids at the unicorn petting zoo and bring home some snowflakes to hang on the wall.

DWK likes this.
  3. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Please enlighten me about "perfect indicators" relating to local JoCo school test scores. And please do tell about the "completely different" JoCos that we are living in.

4. cynadon

If you think all of JoCo is like Cleveland and Clayton, you need to get out more>

5. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Thanks, I appreciate your comment, but that's not really my point.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  6. ricks99

ricks99 Well-Known Member

Just take a look at the Title I schools (and, by the way, I never said anything about test scores, I was simply making a point that while Cleveland is less than 15 miles from Selma, they're a world apart). When the 7 schools in the Smithfield/Selma area average 83% FRL, and the Cleveland schools average 31%, it is hard for me to say that the district isn't obviously segregated.

Kelyel likes this.
  7. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Well, if you're the type of person to get your shorts all up in a bunch over Free Reduced Lunch ratios, then you are most certainly the kind of parent who obsessively checks school test scores as well. Rest assured, there's plenty of parents like that out there now, with more on the way, by the looks of things.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  8. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Yes, Cary is a bit gentrified and homogenized but that doesn't mean some of the minimal standards and a few best planning practices couldn't be applied here without becoming "Cary II". Let's face it, that's never going to happen in a million years, but could there be a bit more forethought into decisions, impact fees, public space, sidewalks, etc. put into place? Probably.

Michael smith, Tardevil and DWK like this.
  9. cranky

cranky Well-Known Member

You are correct it will only take another 20 years at this rate! I work in engineering and Town of Cary went through this exact same struggle. The major difference is that Cary has the authority to do what they please, right or wrong because they are incorporated. Here in Cleveland we are not incorporated and therefore we must rely on the county to provide development guidance (which they have, and the Cleveland area around the old school is designated as a neighborhood hub to be developed). If we ever want to end this discussion we need to incorporate like Archer Lodge did. Then we can vote to set how, when and where we will allow development.

Michael smith, Auxie and DWK like this.
  10. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

And our property taxes will increase even more. We just can't win!

Michael smith likes this.
  11. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Just a note, Johnston County has the largest unincorporated population in the state. Someone has to have that title, of course, but at somewhere north of 110,000 people that is a lot.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  12. Wayne Stollings

13. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Currently, the unincorporated population of the County is 112,000, which is the third highest unincorporated population in the state.

14. Wayne Stollings

Yes, that also seems to have changed also.

15. Michael smith

Michael smith Active Member

The exceptional children programs at Smithfield and Selma schools SUCK! If you have a child that has IEP NEVER recommend sending your child to Smithfield or Selma schools.

16. jesse82nc

Here's an updated overlay of the satellite photo and their site plan
    Wellesy2.jpg

17. certdude

certdude Well-Known Member

Jesse, now the park shown/marked in your diagram, is that the same one the lady wanted the county to run?

Also dont know that I would want folks walking in my backyard on the trail theyve marked all around the place.

18. cynadon

no the donated park is at the bottom of the picture, across polenta rd, on the left side of matthews

19. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

The Amenity area is that where the pool and such going to be? Also isn't that where D.R.Wells' sons house is?

20. jesse82nc

Yes to both I believe.

Also the area at the top right next to that pink road was part of what the county was rezoning, so the area behind the Cleveland Emporium could be something that was added onto the neighborhood later. Not sure what it would be for.