Angry About Clayton High School Year Book

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Sherry A., May 15, 2010.

1. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Maybe if it causes a hardship for the high school, they can understand the individual hardship it can cause each students family to buy those ads and purchase yearbooks. Then perhaps next year they will take more care and concern to oversee the yearbook project and maybe make it a project for the english dept. to proof-read it before submitting it to the printers.

I agree, anyone who had signed off on an errorless proof and it was submitted with errors should get a refund. Deadlines or not, there is no reason to put out crappy work. I'm sure if you took a poll, most people would probably rather receive a perfect yearbook later on than one that is full of errors and missing submissions.

We used to have a yearbook committee when I was in high school ('86). Kids took pictures, did the picture labeling, sold advertising space, organized the directory of contents, it was overseen by the HomeEc & Business dept. teachers. The deadlines were in the mid-winter so the spring sports teams, drama club productions, prom & graduation pictures were always in a seperate publication that we received first thing in the fall. It had an adhesive strip along the left edge so that it could be pressed into the yearbook.

2. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Good idea, jenna's mom!

3. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Really? I skimmed the book for ten minutes, and found horrendous spelling/grammatical errors on just about every page. It was NOT put together fairly well, I would be EMBARRASSED and ASHAMED of myself if I had been part of that committee.

I think Sherry and any other parent are well within their rights to DEMAND and EXPECT a full refund.

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

It's no wonder we are sliding down a slippery slope in this country. How dare someone expect to get what they paid for? I believe if anyone else had posted this exact complaint (other than myself, LOL), then the reponses would have been different. No accountability whatsoever. I tell you, people disgust me more and more every single day. :cry:

5. Cleopatra

We are heading down a slippery slope, esp with the latest in budget cuts. They are considering taking out AIG, evening classes, and Middle College. Last year, they cut funding for at risk kids' programs. In other words, let's punish the kids that are excelling or given a second chance. Soon, we'll all be stupid - but hey, we have to be stupid so we can blindly follow the govt. lol

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Reminds me of crabs in a bucket, trying to drag the ones about to get out back down in the mire.

7. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Well you gotta remember that we are 48th in education . . .

8. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Why are these yearbooks ($75) and ads ($300) so expensive? Our homeschool group puts out a fabulous, hard-cover, professional looking yearbook each year. We pay $25. 20 word ads are $5. Someone is making some $$ off your yearbook!

9. Jenna's Mom

Jenna's Mom Well-Known Member

Ncmom,

Probably, the size of the year book. I remember my HS yearbook 10+ years ago was around 180 to 200 pages. The 300 dollar ads are NOT for 20 words, they are for a FULL Page in the book. I'm not sure how big the books are nowadays. In most elementary schools, the books are in the 30 dollar range, but are a lot smaller than the high school books.

So, how big is your homeschool yearbook in comparison?

10. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

ok, i know i am older than some of you guys, but dang, advertisements in the yearbooks, seriously???? What happened to the days when we had a yearbook committee that took the pics, did the captions, etc., and the $25 we had to pay each for the yearbook covered it? Now when my boys got their yearbooks, it was still about the same costs but the parents that were involved in publishing did a lot of the work so the kids could afford them. i am totally shocked that school yearbooks have become an advertising venue:cry:

11. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Always have had advertising in them, as long as I can remember. My Dad, who ran an Oil Company and Gas Station ran an ad every year. (the teenages, and Moms and Dads had to buy gas somewhere). I remember yearbooks from the 50's with ads for the local Drive-ins and jewelry stores.

Maybe Kaci was in school so long ago all they had to sell was dirt!!! :confused:

:mrgreen: Kaci, you know I kid!!!!! :mrgreen:

12. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

I think it is un-excusable (is that a real word? lol) that a school yearbook should have mispellings, typos and grammar errors. Its an embarrassment to the school. I know someone asked for a copy of my sons school yearbook the first year the school was opened because they said local school yearbooks are archived. (i dont know if this is true). We teach our children to turn in quality school work or they will get a bad grade. Then their yearbook is full of mistakes. That's so wrong.

I'VE GOT IT!!!! Circle all the errors yous see in the yearbook. Do it with a red sharpie with comments in the margins. Then put a big "F" on the front cover and give it to the principal!

DB's wife

13. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I like it!! :cheers:

14. GarnerGirl2000

GarnerGirl2000 Well-Known Member

Good idea :) I know this is off subject but Iwork in a medical office and teachers are the worst ones for spelling errors or not following directions! I always want to take their papers and circle what they missed in red to make them feel like fools:twisted:

15. Cleopatra

LOVE IT, DB's wife!!!

My HS yearbooks from the early 90's were about the same size and cost 35.00. There were not as many color pages IIRC.

I wonder how Kinko's would have fared? It would be interesting to take it in to them and ask them how much to replicate it without all the errors.