Another Hit and Run in Johnston

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by reeteach2, Apr 13, 2008.

1. reeteach2

reeteach2 Well-Known Member

2. Melynda

Melynda Well-Known Member

I'm glad they caught the driver. This is just a horrible story. According to the article "Relatives said the boy's leg is broken and he has brain damage".

3. Melynda

I see that the news article has now been updated to list the drivers name:
    "The driver of the vehicle, Pollo Hernandez Rodriquez, got out of his car and ran away after hitting the child, police said. He was later arrested."

4. Melynda

N&O article concerning locating driver - Good Job Allen Hester

Hit-and-run suspect caught in Johnston

Resident helps officers find driver applications herey

[​IMG] Hester helped authorities catch the suspect.

Sam LaGrone, Staff Writer
    A Four Oaks man helped authorities find a driver suspected of hitting a 7-year-old child with his car and then fleeing into the woods Sunday evening.
    Marcus Lassiter, 7, was struck by a car about 6:15 p.m. on Heath Road near the intersection of N.C. 96. Witnesses told troopers a silver Camaro hit the child and the driver fled on foot.
    Allen Hester, 43, was mowing the lawn outside his Four Oaks home when Johnston County sheriff's deputies joined the investigation and began searching the area for the driver.
    "I was out in the yard cutting grass, and deputies came around the house," Hester said.
    He said the deputies told him the suspect had ditched his car and fled into the woods.
    Abandoning his yardwork, Hester joined the search. A short time later, he spotted a man covered in scratches emerging from the treeline onto a road near the accident scene.
    "I was trying figure out what I should do," Hester said. "I tried to get him into the truck to deliver him to the Johnston County deputies."
    But the man couldn't be talked into going with Hester. So, Hester discreetly dialed the sheriff's office on his mobile phone and gave his location through his wireless headset.
    "In less than 10 seconds, they were on us," he said.
    Lassiter, the injured child, was flown to Duke Hospital, where hospital officials confirmed he was in the intensive care ward Sunday night, but they would not disclose his condition.
    The name of the suspect had not released as of late Sunday.
    Sam.LaGrone@newsobserver.com or (919) 836-4951

5. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

http://wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/2731249/

Four Oaks, N.C. — A driver faced a long list of charges Monday - including felony hit-and-run, DWI, driving without a license and driving a stolen car – after allegedly hitting a 7-year-old boy with his vehicle Sunday evening in Johnston County.
    The driver of the vehicle, Pollo Hernandez Rodriquez, got out of his car and ran away after hitting the child, police said. He was being held on a $1 million bond Monday.
    Witnesses said Marcus Lassiter, 7, was crossing Heath Road with a friend when he was struck at about 6 p.m. He was taken by helicopter to Duke University Hospital for treatment.
    Relatives said Marcus’ leg was broken and he had brain damage. As of Monday, family members said he was not breathing on his own and doctors said he is brain dead. :cry: :evil:

6. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

the charge ought to be murder

7. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

:iagree:

8. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

You betcha!!!

Aaarrrggghhhhhh illegal :evil::evil::evil:?????????? I don't know, just speculating to myself.

9. bandmom

wral.com has posted that the child has died.

Cooley said the family made the decision to remove Marcus from life support. He passed away late Monday night.

10. shar824

Awwww mannnnnn....That sux!!!! (Can I post that word???):cry::cry::cry::cry:

11. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

yeah, if they go with anything less than murder, i'll be ****ed. the state has a precedent for murder in the case of a death during a dwi vehicle accident...

12. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

Oh geez.... I hate that the whole thing happened, but then the family had to make that choice....so heartbreaking. :cry::cry: :grouphug:

I hope this guy gets what he deserves. :twisted:

13. Rostrawberry

Rostrawberry Well-Known Member

Oh my...my thoughts and prayers are with his family. I am sorry.

14. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Hold you kids tight. This could have been any of our children.

My thoughts and prayers go out to this family and the other one dealing
    with last week's accident.

15. shar824

THEY ARE TRYING TO FIGURE OUT THIS A***HOLES REAL NAME!!!

AAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHH:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

(Disclaimer, this story also has a picture of the little boy so don't look if it will affect you badly)

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/2741147/

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  16. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Anyone want to know WHY WE NEED TO CLOSE THE BORDERS??? Anyone, any guesses? :evil::evil::evil:

That's so sad. I feel for the famiy. :cry:

17. bandmom

http://www.newsobserver.com/

The state Highway Patrol has identified a suspected drunken driver accused of striking and killing a 7-year-old in Johnston County as Hipolito Zamora Hernandez, 30, of Parkertown Road in Four Oaks.

18. kimmie

kimmie Well-Known Member

public hanging at town hall I say!

19. sus

sus Well-Known Member

Probably still not his Legal Name

20. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

This kid was the nephew of a girl here at work. And while she seems to be handling it well, her comments were that the parents haven't really come to terms that he is gone.

Craig