anyone heard anything

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by mom2~1boy, Aug 31, 2006.

1. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

about schools closing early today?

2. blusdrmr

blusdrmr Well-Known Member

nope. Why would they do that?

3. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

Why would they because it's raining? I know Charleston is closed down, but they are getting the brunt of this baby...we are just getting rain today. I think maybe tomorrow if we get 9 inches when it starts heading out way early in the am they might consider it due to back roads flooding....

4. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

someone told me they where closing early incase of roads flooding or some crap, just trying to confirm this...

5. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

919-934-6031 JC Board of Education number if anyone wants to ask them :lol:

6. blusdrmr

OK...I know it's raining but why would the roads flood? It's not coming down that hard or that much. We had a good downpour last night but I don't think that would overflow any rivers, lakes or ponds at this point.

7. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

Blus:

Johnston, NC

Flash Flood Watch:

Issued at: 7:25 AM EDT 8/31/06, expires at: 12:00 PM EDT 8/31/06

Flash Flood Watch remains in effect through Friday morning,
    The flash flood watch continues for
    A portion of central north carolina, Including The Following counties, In Central North carolina, Alamance, Anson, chatham, Cumberland, Davidson, Durham, Edgecombe, forsyth, Franklin, Granville, Guilford, Halifax, harnett, Hoke, Johnston, Lee, Montgomery, Moore, Nash, orange, Person, Randolph, Richmond, Sampson, Scotland, stanly, Vance, Wake, Warren, Wayne And Wilson.
    Through Friday morning
    Rainfall amounts between 3 and 5 inches are expected across central north carolina. Locally higher amounts up to 8 inches are possible. Most of the rain will occur this afternoon and tonight.
    This amount of rainfall in a short period of time will result in flash flooding, Especially Along Creeks and streams that flow through urban areas, Such As Crabtree creek in raleigh, swift creek in southern wake county, Buffalo Creek In greensboro, And Contentnea Creek near wilson.
    A flash flood watch means that weather conditions are favorable for widespread heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding.
    People who live near or drive through areas prone to flooding during heavy rain events should monitor later forecasts and be prepared to take action should flash flood warnings be issued.

8. blusdrmr

Um...OK. Now you know I really don't watch the news. All I know is that my well needs replenishing and this rain is helping.

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Blus, I was just about to post wondering where you've been! We have a huge tropical storm coming that is "supposed" to dump several inches of rain, school closing is definately a concern.

10. Oy Yayoy

Oy Yayoy Well-Known Member

I've heard speculation by meteorologists on the radio that this might be a much worse storm than anticipated. Up to 8 inches of rain, and 40-50 MPH winds, with heavy, wet trees and the ground softened up.

11. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Ernesto's winds are up to 55mph and pressure is dropping.

12. blusdrmr

*ducking as things are flying*

Sorry....I just don't watch the news at all. I stopped watching the weather because they are wrong most of the time anymore.

In my house, it's cartoons. That's about it until football season starts. I only catch a few pre-season games and that's it.

13. blusdrmr

Well....he good thing is my lawn needs the rain, my well needs it, I don't have many trees in the yard and I am on higher ground.

Heck, I might go out and make the fence into a wall and make myself a swimming pool!

14. blusdrmr

Ernesto......sounds like a relative of Speedy Gonzalez.

15. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

16. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Blus, you are not seriously saying you have not heard a thing about Ernesto - man, you really ought to pay attention to the world around ya :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

17. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

As of 10:55am from the Weather Channel

Ernesto regained tropical storm strength quickly over the very warm water of the Atlantic Gulf Stream overnight and continues to plow northward along the Southeast coast towards the Carolinas. It is continuing to get better organized and it now has top-sustained winds of 60 mph. Further strengthening is possible over the warm waters; approaching just under hurricane strength before landfall this evening. It is also not out of the question that hurricane status will be met before landfall. Ernesto is forecast to make another landfall north of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina (along the South and North Carolina border) by this evening.

Heavy rainfall and flooding will be a big concern as well. Already, a stationary front produced anywhere from 2 to over 7 inches of rain across eastern North Carolina to Virginia. Flash flood watches and even some warnings have been posted across the Carolinas up into the Mid-Atlantic today into tonight.

In addition to the flooding rains, Ernesto will kick up the waves along the coasts of South and North Carolina; rising between 15 to 25 feet. Some beach erosion is possible all the way to southeast Virginia by tonight.

Hurricane watches have now been posted along the South and North Carolina coast from South Santee River, S.C. to Cape Lookout, N.C. Tropical storm warnings are posted from Flagler Beach, Florida northward to Cape Lookout, North Carolina.

18. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

Good thing we're going outta town this weekend. Nothing better than to be at the Lake and possibly get stuck up there with the whole family! Wooooowhoooo HURRICANE Party!! :lol:

19. blusdrmr

I heard about a storm that was hitting Florida but nothing serious.

Seriously......I had no idea.

20. MissyPrissy

MissyPrissy Well-Known Member

It's not the hurricane that bothers me so much as the tornadoes it can spawn. Anyone want some company? :D

Oh, just heard that Wayne County schools are closing early.