Anyone know of legit work at home companies?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by RHKR, Jan 24, 2007.

1. RHKR

RHKR Guest

I am interested in earning some extra income. I know there are companies out there that are legitimate and do not require a fee for start-up. I am not interested in a Pampered Chef or other home parties because I do not have the time to devote to them to be profitable. I am looking for something I can do from my home computer at times when it is convenient for me. Every advertisement I see turns out to be a scam.

Thank you!

2. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

:shock:

3. Daredevil

Daredevil Well-Known Member

You've got a better chance of hitting the lottery than finding a legit one. The only legit ones are within your field of experience. If you are good at say Sewing, do it outta your home. BTW most people that are successful @ this type of thing will tell you it took far more time and energy than a regular job. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Good luck.

PS I see the Fonz's dad on infomercials all the time pushing some sales thing. DMG or something like that you can do outta your house. :)

4. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

I work from home for a real company.... (they are not hiring.):lol:

But it is a real job, with no set hours.... runs into meal time, family time, bed time.... although it is just a bit here and there, it never ends and with the line of work I do, I can't not answer the phone. (it could be life or death). While I am thrilled I have this type of job, I tell myself I am going to quit all the time because of how it interferes.

I did several other attempts... one was making appointments for insurance sales... I hated cold calling, people yelled at me... but I did get paid for every 'yes' I got and more for every sale they made....

I tried making beaded jewelry.... no good, none passed inspection and they were some TINY beads. I dont think any of the make items at home are real, I have never heard of anyone having any luck....

Good luck!

5. lindenul

lindenul Well-Known Member

6. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

Just remember, if it sounds too good to be true...

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/invest/homewrk.htm

http://www.scambusters.org/work-at-home.html

SMC, lindenul? http://www.better-internet-bureau.org/discus/messages/2/53.html?1148500701

7. concernedperson

concernedperson Well-Known Member

I have been a member with SMC for about 7 years. I only pay a $29.00 membership fee a year. With the wholesale priced gifts that I buy from them, I probably save about $100 a year, so I think the $29 is worth it. I have never used there website and probably never will. To many of those websites out there. Just buy the gifts from them at their wholesale prices and placing them on Ebay, is probably your best bet for a home business.

8. Tit4Tat

Tit4Tat Well-Known Member

Do you sell from e bay. can you post your site. very cool.

9. concernedperson

I don't have a website but I will probably start placing some items on Ebay. the problem with Ebay even with the cheap prices that I get from SMC, there's usually prices that are a little cheaper on there so I know there are cheaper wholesalers out there. Besides Ebay, you can list things on Craigslist, Amazon, and Google.

10. Lester

Lester Well-Known Member

The key to Ebay: Screw them on shipping.

Someone will pay $10 less for something than it costs at Wal-Mart, and pay $50 to have it shipped to them.

It's crazy... but it works.

11. concernedperson

A few years ago, a friend of mine was making about $3000 a month on Ebay, but now that he's a Youth Minister he quit selling some of those items. You would be suprised what people are or will buy on there.

12. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

To be honest, I think it is more of a race on Ebay. I think many people have the "oh no you won't out bid me" mind set.

Then you look behind that enraged typer, hot in a bidding war for the last of the collectible set of glass figurines and see a room full of all different kinds of smurfs or holly hobby dolls. It's an addiction really! :lol:

13. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

What was he selling? I just as much of a Christian as the next guy, but if it could make my mortgage payment and let me stay home with my DD's, I'd be willing to take a gander on it! LOL

14. Beezor

Beezor Well-Known Member

Word.
    I'm with ya on that!!

15. concernedperson

He was making his own tapes and CD's on how to pick up women in diffrent places like bars or grocery stores. He sold them for $25.00 a piece. He sold about 50 of those a month. Most of his money was made off from diet pills he sold in which Ebay made him quit selling those.

16. Beezor

Beezor Well-Known Member

That is hilarious!!

17. Melynda

Melynda Well-Known Member

I remember seeing a newspaper article a while back in the N&O where a couple went yard sale shopping on the weekends and then sold the stuff on ebay for a large profit. It always amazes me what people on ebay will pay. I guess the saying "one man's trash is another man's treaure" and the stuff we've put on ebay always seems to sell for far more than I imagined it would. Just last week I posted a radio that my husband had thrown in the trash on ebay. It was some type of transister radio thing from the late 60's. In any case, the thing sold for $187.50. I was really surprised. When my son decided he had outgrown his Thomas Train set a while back, I had originally planned to sell it at a yardsale for $50. The set sold for over $500 on ebay. I'm sure for those intrested there is lots of money to be made on ebay. Sometimes when my Mom is bored she will sew items to sale on ebay. She once cut a rooster out of tin just as a joke to see if it would sell - Sure enough ... it did. I think there is a buyer for just about anything :)

I lucked out in life. I used to work in the office when we lived in Colorado, but when my husband decided to move to NC - my company said I could keep my job and work from home. It's been great ... but it takes disipline (sometimes more than I have). Also, with many jobs, your day is over when you leave the office. Working from home is sometimes a problem because often others assume that because you are at home you have unlimited free time. They sometimes forget that you are working just like they are. Also, when customers have an issue after office hours or on the weekends ... you are often the 1st person they call because they know everyone else is out of the office ... but you live in yours. The dress code for working from home is awsome though. My drycleaning bill went w-a-y down. These days I look like a bit of a slob. You'd think an individual who didn't have to spend the time to drive into an office could fit in a work-out each day ... but somehow that free time just gets turned into another chore and you just become as busy as you were when you worked in an office. You will also need to find outside outlets to keep in contact with other grown-ups. While working in the office you have lots of interactions ... but I've seen many stay-at-home workers sink into depression due to a lack of social interaction.

Good Luck in your future business ventures :)

18. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Hmm, I bet I could do a CD on how to pick up men........or how to get pregnant in one easy step, or how to lose weight, the possibilities are endless!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  19. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

I believe that the original poster, RHKR, sounded like they were looking for something to supplement their income - which they could do from home - it didn't come across to me as if they are looking for a 'free ride' - daredevil.

As someone mentioned within this thread, occasionally you might be able to find something within your field which you can do from home -

I know of a person who does medical billing from their home pc, but I don't know them well enough to feel comfortable in asking how well they do, or any particulars. . .met them only once.

I know of several EBayers - some do great and others found it was too much trouble packaging items up and waiting for UPS to come and pick up - they said that the profit didn't make it worth their while. . .but I believe this must have a lot to do with the items you sell - the ones I know that quit sold fragile collectables.

A neighbor of mine is very crafty - she makes gift baskets and paints wooden signs, vases and items of the like, which she takes to craft shows on weekends. She makes out well, from what she says and has been at it for about a year, so it must pay her to do it, but she is gone every weekend.

Direct sales, like Mary Kay, Pampered Chef and the like can be very profitable, but to do well, you need to lay out some money for demo items and in some cases inventory - but if you don't like lugging items around and dealing one-on-one with people, it can be brutal. . .the poster mentioned they weren't interested in this.

A cousin of mine tried a few things after her divorce to supplement her income. . .selling soy candle making kits and health insurance off the web. . .for both, she had to build a website and learn alot (the insurance part) and although she is very well educated, I don't think this worked out too well for her.

One of my previous neighbors did an online thing with finding people money they had coming to them through HUD, they had to invest in buying a list, do a lot of research in tracking down the people as they had moved - sometimes several times, and they thought it was a scam when they were first contacted, but they did get a percentage as a finders fee. . .I think they did it for long enough to recoup their costs and quit.

There are some liegit opportunities out there, but I believe they may be few and far between and that people who do find them often keep info close and share it with close friends and family members.

I've seen people at the post office with boxes of similar looking envelopes to mail out - it appears they work from home, but although curious, I've never felt comfortable in striking up a conversation to ask them. While I'm usually a jabber-jaw, I hate to appear nosey when it comes to someone elses livlelyhood.

Good luck to you in your search.

20. concernedperson

How about the guy a few months ago that was going to sell his kidney for $50,000 before Ebay pulled the ad. I was going to place an ad there to write a poem for a loved one, spouse, ect, but a woman on there beat me to the punch where she sales each poem for around $18.00. I may still give it a try. I wander how much an arm and a leg would go for on there.