Are our children really safe? How does this happen?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Jocomom, May 29, 2008.

1. Jocomom

Jocomom Well-Known Member

I will try to keep this short.
    A friend has a child in a local elementary school. This child was dismissed from school early, without a parent’s permission, to a person who had no authorization to take that child. The school was very apologetic, although my friend was told of no further action that would be taken with the staff or the person who removed the child from school grounds.
    This is what we are wondering. What can we do to be certain that this never happens again? Is that even a reasonable goal? All the policies are in place, but obviously they are not adhered to. We are trying to figure out a process or solution that is as close to infallible as possible.
    Any ideas, suggestions or thoughts are appreciated!

2. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

this happened all the time when my kids were in school.

3. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

It doesn't happen at West Johnston. I have to show my driver's license EVERY time I pick DD up from school.

4. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

my kids school is the same way, not only do I have to show my DL, but she pulls out the big book, with the paper in it I filled out at the beginning of the year saying who could pick them up, and verifies. And they KNOW me, as I am up there all the time. rules is rules.

5. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

My son's at West View and they check my license every time as well, and the list of approved people. Even though I'm the only one that ever takes him, and I'm the only one that's ever picked him up, they still check. It's different if he goes home from class, like during a party, I don't think they have a way of checking, you just sign them out.

6. my4kiddies

my4kiddies Well-Known Member

My son goes to Polenta and i must show ID every time myself , picking up , dropping off , even when i come in or go out from volunteering . They know me well up there but i am always glad they still take precautions even with the parents they see on a daily basis . I hate to hear there is a school that will allow children to leave with someone NOT on the list or seeing an ID . I have children in all , elementary , middle & high and they all make me show ID . Thank goodness . This day and age people are crazy i would have gone nut's if they let my child out of school like that ..Hope it don't happen again !

7. Tangerine

I have to say I have never been asked to show an ID when picking my kids up from school. And that includes elementary, middle and high school.

8. my4kiddies

From the comment before im wondering when your kids were in school ? I would have thought that over the years they would be better at checking ID's and such . Seeing as this world is not getting better its only getting worse .

9. momof3grls

momof3grls Well-Known Member

I have only ever been asked to show ID at the highschool. I once had a neighbor who had four children and a restraining order against her husband. I think if there is an issue going on where there is a chance that someone you don't want to pick up your children will try to pick up your children you really have to make sure that everyone at the school is aware of the situation so they WILL ask for ID.

10. Tangerine

hey i'm not that old. lol my girls graduated from HS in 2006 & 2007. maybe living in a small town where everyone knows everybody makes the difference.

11. Moon Stone

Moon Stone Guest

I work at one of the school mentioned and I always check ID, unless I remember or someone else can 'vouch' for ya. Even if I think I may remeber you I check ID. People change hair, clothes, tan, you never know. It would be the one time that I dont check that something would happen. Most are happy that we check, others, well not so much. One dad told me last week that he would not be picking this child up it wasn't his.

12. nevilock

nevilock Well-Known Member

bah. i hate it when people get indignant because you want to see that they are them. Its not a question of their honor, but some people tend to take it personally like you're accusing them of stealing credit cards.. or children.

13. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

What school are you at? Just curious because sometimes i have been asked and other times not at the school i have to pick up from.

14. Moon Stone

Moon Stone Guest

Oh I know really, some get so mad and start to fume and grumble. Yada, yada, yada. There is usually someone in the office that can vouch for Mr. or Mrs. so and so, but man oh man, when we can't and they don't bring ID into the office with them and they have to go all the way back out to thier car, you'd think we asked them to peform some major task for us.
    Kaci~can I tell you the name of my school? I'm reading of a bus incident, which I know is not mine because I drive in the morning. I'm trying to place your online personas with the parents I see at.............WVES :)

15. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Well, they shouldn't get mad, we're told at the beginning of each yr that ID is required and if they can't remember to bring it in, thats their problem and they should realize WHY its required. I have been asked at West, depends on if its the usual person (she knows me cause I had to pick up my DS so much this past yr :neutral:) or someone else. Either way - I always come in prepared and have no problem when asked for my id.

When I worked at the bank folks used to get mad when we asked for id - but hey - just trying to do my job and protect your $$$. go ahead...get mad!

16. my4kiddies

Tangerine , I in no way meant that your old sweetie ....But the small town makes since .. Have a good one i am done with this thread

17. Tangerine

oh I know, I was just joking with you. :lol:

18. my4kiddies

:iagree:

19. Happy Camper

Happy Camper Well-Known Member

Call the school and tell them you have an outstanding restraining order and you by no means want anyone outside of the approved list picking up your child. I guarantee you they will ask for your identification everytime.

20. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Wouldn't that classify as kidnapping?