Attention: Non-churchgoers

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by pastorg, Jan 7, 2006.

?

Why don't people attend church?

1. Too busy

100.0%
  2. Boring

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Afraid

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Too long

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Don't believe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pastorg

pastorg Well-Known Member

I've heard many reasons why people don't go to church; too busy, afraid, the churches are full of hippocrates, boring, etc. But I'd like to hear your reasons. Thanks for your input.

Glen K. :D

www.calvaryfaith.com

2. mamax3

mamax3 Well-Known Member

I believe, never too busy for God, not afraid, mass is only one hour so the time is fine, and it depends on who is speaking if it is boring or not but it is usually not boring.

My reason is at mass those with young kids are stuck in a small crying room. and it is just that, kids are so noisy, I cannot here anything so what is the point. I find it a lot easier to sit at home and read a bible story to my kids and pray and much more educational for all.

HTH :D

3. Breezy18

Breezy18 Well-Known Member

I would have to agree with mamax3 on this one. I would love to attend church every Sunday. We have a small child and the majority of the time end up in a small room in the back full of kids 'playing' or crying. The older people in church seem to be 'bothered' by kids therefore I just as soon stay at home until my child gets old enough not to 'annoy' anyone. I just don't understand, church of all places should be accepting of kids, but they are not. Mom and Dad miss out b/c they are afraid of stares and glares they get. It is hard to keep a toddler/young child still for an hour at church.

4. elims

elims Well-Known Member

For me, I work 7am-7pm on Sundays. I'm looking for someplace that has a regular service on Weds evenings, not just a 'bible study' as an alternate choice ....

5. lilme

lilme Well-Known Member

Cleveland Community Church has a regular Sunday service on Saturday nights for people who cant make it on Sunday morning. We dont attend there now, but did for three years. We have moved out of that area. The people are great and you wont find a better Pastor then Pastor Matt! Check it out!

6. arogronjomom

arogronjomom Well-Known Member

We don't attend church frequently also because of having three little ones (5 yr old, 2 yr old & 9mo old). Getting my self ready in the morning is a feat, nevermind three others (four, if you include my husband :wink: ). Then, to get there and have to be "on guard" against any disruptive behavior doesn't bode well for being able to absorb a sermon message properly. And I'm raising decent kids, not hooligans. :D

Growing up in church all my life, I fully intend to get my boys involved once they are past the "why can't I talk aloud in church?" stage. I know how good a foundation it will be for them and hope it will be the shelter it was for me during the awkward pre-teen and teenage years.

Barbara

7. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

I don't attend because the service is not like the Lutheran Service in the north. Plus I am broke and I get peod....when you have to fill out a pledge card. Also I do not want to commit to anything other than 1 service a week, do not like the adult groups after the service and all the money and volunteering that goes into being committed, so I just stay home.

8. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

You have that right and there are totally seperate classes for children of all ages, including infants taken care of by loving caring people during all four services so you don't have to worry about children disrupting service. If there is a problem with your child, they put the child's #(of which you have the matching tag) up on the screen so you can take care of it. There are four services every weekend starting on Sat night. Sat night services rock, wish i could get there more often but due to the grandchildren's schedule, i usually have to go to the 11:30 service.

9. ubergeek

ubergeek Well-Known Member

My interest was piqued by C3 because of some of my sweet students and their community outreach. I had no idea they were southern baptist/Liberty affiliates...I absolutely think Jerry Fallwell is one of the most intolerant creatures on this planet, along with Pat Robertson and his crew. I thought C3 was non-denominational. I went to their website and WHOA are they super-conservative in their theology.

I can't do the southern baptist thing....I was raised United Methodist and I still hold strong to their tenets. It may not match all of my understanding, but it matches the best. We have gone to Highland UM and Benson UM in Raleigh, but I want to find something local. I really like Highland, but it is a trek...Lake Boone Trail near Rex. I want a church where there is involvement with the local community.

I just need to overcome my inertia and get my lazy butt out of bed on Sunday morning.

10. pastorg

Thank you all for your input. I just wanted to let everyone get in their 2 cents before I stirred the pot any.

I'm so glad you all took part in my survey and post. I thank each one of you for doing so. I am a pastor as most have probably figured out by now. My purpose in this post and survey was to get an unbiased option of what churches are doing wrong that keeps people away. My hope was that I and other pastors that read this post could gain a greater understanding so we can start meeting the needs that aren't being met.

I don't argue theology. Theology is like noses (everyone has one and it's not a good thing to pick at someone elses) God should be the one that develops theology in your heart.

I would love to first of all apologize to all that have been hurt by "the church" It is a horrible thing to read of anyone being mistreated by people that should be representing God. I don't claim to have all the anwers, but I know that I'm finding new ones everyday as I develop my relationship with God.

Let me just talk to you as one human to another. God is all about meeting our needs. The greatest of which is a relationship with Him. God also wants us to be in a place where we can meet the needs of others. There you have it, my whole theology in a nutshell.

Let me tell you a few things I am not. I am not a "born and raised" Christian. I was not brainwashed by my parents at an early age. I came to God after years of drug and alcohol abuse and found out the He is the One that I had been trying to find to fill the void in my life. I believe what I believe because I have tested it in my own life and have found it to be true. I am not a perfect person. I make mistakes just like the people I pastor. My feeling is we are learning together (with God as our leader) I have never received any money from my church. Even though I started the church a year and a half ago, I have held a full-time job in the world and supported my own family. I am a pastor because it is who I am, not because I can make money doing it. Oh, and speaking of money, we ask first time vistors not to give us any of theirs. I want to give to people, not take from them. The only people that give in our church are the ones that have choose to be members. And most Sundays I don't even take an offering (but God supplies our churches needs) I am not a pastor that is going to preach an hour sermon and have you walk away wondering what I was talking about and how it could help you. In fact, most my messages are about 15-30 mins long and my feeling is, your time is as valuable as mine. If I can't preach a message that is going to help you in your day-to-day life then I am wasting all our time.

As you can see I'm a little disgusted with the way some churches are. I think God intended us to be doing things differently. Not to say, I have it all figured out, I don't. But I am truly working on it. If you have any questions or comments please continue to post. I'm enjoying the input.

Thanks,
    Glen

11. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

:? This is posted on the other side too...but anywho :arrow: I agree with you Mama... Mass is only an hour long but I have gone with my kid since he was very small. My hubby doesn't go b/c of reason I respect and totally understand. So I go by myself or attend at my home church w/ my parents who help me out. But for the most part I have used the Cry room at the back and it has worked well until I attented Mass at a Church where I couldn't find the cry room so I sat outside in the main congregation. To my delightful suprise my little tot at a barely 1 1/2-2 years old did wonderful through church. He knows to purty his hands and to use his Church voice The Church voice also works in movies too :lol: People get a kick outta the little guy walking up to communion with his little hands praying. I guess I got a stroke of luck early on I just hope he stays this good :shock:

Now all this nice-nice work will most likely go right outta the window if #2 kid or #3 comes along. Hey, a girl can dream can't she :lol:

12. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

I have to disagree on the super conservative statement. i have a son who is currently at LU and he is having problems with their super conservative theory compared to the theory he has been raised with at C3. Like i said before, can't knock it till you try it. You can ask anyone on this board that knows me, i am definitely not super conservative :wink

13. toadallyfruity

toadallyfruity Well-Known Member

So pastor ... those who choose to raise their children in the church are "brainwashing" them?

Isn't it true that your church is a start-up with very little expense since you do accept pay and you have no church building to support? At some point do you not intend to have a building which would need to be supportedf by church members through tithes?

14. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

That comment kinda hit me weird too... but I seriously doubt that Pastor intended it to mean the ill intent that Children are brainwashed in the literal sense. I call it raising my child Christain, church going kiddo.

And if he did mean it that way then I am off to brain wash my kid again this Sat night and every Sat night or Sun morning until he turns 18 and can make his own decisions.:twisted:

15. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

I have no found a church that incorporates all my beliefs.
    I am liberal in some ways and conservative in other.
    Too many will judge me and that is not man’s to do, judging belongs to God.
    I talk to Him daily and live my life as a good person.
    I pray and seek help when I need it and give thanks for the gifts I am given.
    what more is there.???

By brainwahing I would like to think that he meant banging the doctrine of the church into the mind of the kids. Any church that preaches - if you don't believe as I do and if you are not born again (in the spritual sense of running around thumping the bible) - you are going to he!! is wrongo!! Judgement is wrong. Judging other religions is wrong. Judging people based on their color and their lifesyle is wrong. WE were not put hear to judge.

16. pastorg

Thank all again for your replies. Let me clarify the "brainwashing" term I used. I have seen so many churchgoing people that go to church and act out the "Christian" life on Sunday mornings and then live however they like the rest of the week. People that don't go to church call these people hippocrities. This makes a bad name for those who really live out their faith everyday. In other words, I don't have a "head" experience, I have a "heart" experience.

I thinks it's great you talk to God and are a good person, but have you ever wondered if God meant you for a bigger purpose? He did, and part of that purpose is giving back through the family of God.

Teach your children the Word of God and how to live as a Christian but kids learn best by example. Live out the Christian life before them and get them involved in a good bible-believing church where they can get a "heart" experience.

Thanks again for your posts. Keep em coming,
    Glen

17. jaloridon

jaloridon Well-Known Member

Hi pastorg. Well, I am in a bi-racial marriage. We both came from Christian homes but have a hard time finding a church that makes both of us comfortable. We are a somewhat young couple (26&29) and have been together for 8 years. We have 3 children, ages 8-6-3. Any suggestions?

We need a place to make both of us feel comfortable and that's usually the reason we don't attend.

18. pastorg

jaloridon this is one of my points. You shouldn't be put in a place in any church that makes you feel uncomfortable. I certainly don't care if you're interracial and neither does God. Our church would be honored to have you. In fact, here is a the very first part of our churches vision statment.

"The vision is of a people who are hungry to see the lost saved at any cost. A people willing to inconvenience themselves to seek after people not like themselves. Welcoming all, regardless of race, gender, or spiritual background."

We don't care who you are, what you are, or where you came from. Just like Jesus, we accept you just the way you are.

Give us a try!

Get more info at our website.

Thanks for your post,
    Glen

19. pastorg

Anyone else had a bad experience with a church? Tell about it.

Thanks,
    Glen

www.calvaryfaith.com