Awesome Mexican Food

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by bissielizzie, Nov 17, 2015.

1. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

We have been meaning to post something for months about Chinellos behind Smithfield BBQ. If you haven't tried them, you should the food is awesome. It's not like Fiesta or Cocina, it's a taqueria. The flavors are soooo good, just the right spice, so it doesn't overwhelm the meat. Any of you who know El Toro in Garner it's like that, only better. Everything is made to order so it's not fast food like Taco Bell. And they offer specials posted on Facebook.

It's next to China King, which we can't figure out how they are staying in business. We ate there years ago and it was OK, but preferred Jumbo China next to Food Lion. Well we eat so frequently at Chinellos and see a steady stream of people going next door, we decided to try them again. We don't often say publicly how bad the food is somewhere, but we were shocked at how bad it was there, wow. It's almost as bad as the Chinese place next to La Piazza.

Just thought we would pass along our opinion on some local places, we are always glad to hear our fellow 4042er's thoughts. Maybe we should start a food forum? Yes, we like to eat good food and our waist lines prove it :)

Romeo, jlc007, bulldawg and 1 other person like this.
  2. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

A local restaurant group/forum would be nice. I don't venture outside my comfort zone of food too much, but I do write a bunch of reviews on Yelp and Google often.

3. lawnboy

lawnboy Well-Known Member

Not to be a smartass, but Chinellos? If I saw this sign (and maybe i have, which might be the problem) I'd think it was an Italian place. You're saying there is an authentic Mexican restaurant in the strip area behind Smithfields and Wendy's/Hess right by 40?

I've been looking for a place ever since Las Margaritas closed down up in Garner. I've been blown away for years by the fact that we don't have a real Mexican place here. La Fiesta is overpriced Casa Gallardo 1985 style Americanized Mexican, and based on the one time I went in there, the main clientele is every single toddler in Johnston County.

Please confirm that we actually have authentic, legit Mexican at this location with an Italian name?

4. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Not 40/42 but in Clayton Festejos is really good. Although if you think la fiesta is overpriced you may feel the same here. Although this in my opinion is much better and worth it.
    There's also that place by Cleveland auto florentine cafe I think. Their tacos are good not sure about the rest of their menu.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  5. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Behind Festejos (facing Highway 70) the same family runs Don Betos Tacos. Most authentic place I've found. It would probably help if you spoke Spanish. Most of the patrons do (last time I was there.)

6. BuzzMyMonkey

Yes. Love their tacos there.

dgsatman likes this.
  7. George

George Member

OK so the wife an I ate at Chinellos today must say by far the best authentic Mexican food we have had since Cancun. Before you go you must know its not a sit down restaurant but not fast food either . They have a counter you order at an a few tables A MUST TRY

8. ImTheNormal0ne

ImTheNormal0ne Well-Known Member

where is this located? i will only eat at a authentic Mexican

9. Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack Well-Known Member

Chinelos. Spelled with one "L". Honest mistake. I liked the food and the employee was helpful and very nice. sorry for the cliche' but you can "taste the freshness"

Hught likes this.
  10. bulldawg

bulldawg Well-Known Member

11. Judge Smails

Judge Smails Well-Known Member

12. bissielizzie

We have been to both of these places and Don Betos Tacos has a location in Smithfield also. The food at these two places is OK, not great.

13. bissielizzie

The Florentine Café is South American, not Mexican.

14. bissielizzie

We like their tacos too. Chinellos is closer for us and they tend to have more dishes from the Yucatan.

15. bissielizzie

Chinello is their name and yes they are legit and delicious.

16. bissielizzie

Just saw this for all of you Groupon people
    Chinelos Mexican Café is on gourpon $12 for $20 of food for two people, they also one for 4 people

Awesome, nice change from the holiday fare. Only open during the week, though :(

17. lawnboy

Dude. Whoever said this place is good has to be smoking the BEST crack ever known to man and I want some, because it must make everything in life seem AMAZING.

To call this "amazing," "awesome" or even "authentic" is to call a 4 year old's finger-paint job on a paper plate a "Picasso."

Dry, wet corn tortillas the size of a coffee-can top. The chicken and peppers inside, matching the corn tortilla, tasted and looked like something I used to buy in college in the frozen foods section at food lion - "food" in the academic sense because it would help kill the alcohol at 2am and put me to sleep by filling my stomach with something solid.

The "chips and queso dip" - again, no flavor to the cheese at all, and the chips tasted like unsalted popcorn.

OMFG, WORST mexican food EVER. DO NOT go here or you will end up $20 poorer and you will wish you had gone to Taco Bell. I am NOT exaggerating. Absolutely the worst Mexican food experience I have ever had.

This place makes me wish Las Margaritas at Timber Driver had never closed down - that place was a 5-star gourmet restaurant compared to this. Jesus christ

I just CANNOT FATHOM ANYONE thinking something that has ZERO FLAVOR and HORRIBLE CONSISTENCY is GOOD FOOD. There is not even any room for error here. The only way I could see someone thinking this was "good" is if they'd lived on prison food or hospital food? The owner was a nice guy, but man, I can't believe they were in business after the 1st week.

D- (didn't give it an F because it looks like mexican food and the owners were Mexican)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  18. BuzzMyMonkey

Lol. I want to know how you really feel.

Romeo and poppin cork like this.
  19. Romeo

Romeo Active Member

I was wondering why their food tasted so weird.

20. lawnboy

I mean......it's one thing to show up to some random place and have a bad experience, but to hear RAVE REVIEWS and have a question confirmed that this is "authentic Mexican," and then you get there and almost have to laugh at the setup, and then you find out the food is akin to the "generic" food lion Lean Cuisine, it makes me wonder if the 400lb woman eating there and talking to her 400lb friend (the only other customers at the time) are the ones who are raving about it, a la "I like seafood, anything I see is good to me."

Romeo likes this.