background check

Discussion in 'Jobs Network' started by Rockyv58, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Anyone ever go for a job and they ask you to pay for the background check?

I replied to a CNA job that was posted on 40/42 and they want me to pay for the background check. And when they left me a voice mail they wanted to know if I was responding to their craigslist posting.

2. Palisade

Palisade Well-Known Member

I have heard of such a thing, though it is rare.

Many companies also post on Craigslist. It's not that uncommon at all.

My advice (FWIW) is to check up on the company to make sure they are legal and valid.

3. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Most companies I deal with require a background check, although the company normally picks up the costs. I can see this swinging to the applicants responsibility.

Are you then able to choose the agency?

4. Debyan

Debyan Well-Known Member

I have seen it in medical community lately mostly the CNA's for some reason the nurses they will pay for

5. Rockyv58

The nursing home I am at now they paid for the drug test and the background check. I have had to pay for the background check for the nuc med program. And in the past when I was in the computer field the company always paid for the drug and background check.

From my experience CNA's are some of the hardest working people outside of nurses in the allied health field and CNA's are the least paid. And the agency that wants me to pay for my own background check I would be a traveling CNA

6. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I do a background check on every new employee. Every offer is contingent upon a clean background check.

That being said, we do not charge the prospective employee, we pay for it.

7. Debyan

Debyan Well-Known Member

Trust me i am very aware of how hard CNA's work and I have worked with some very wonderful caring ones. I think it is a shame that they are doing this

8. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

Just a hunch, but if they are that tight on money that they won't even pay for a background check (that they insist on), I'll bet it would be pretty hard to get a raise (or anything else) out of them in the future.

Good luck.

9. 740i Guy

740i Guy Well-Known Member

When it's a small company you're looking at for employment it's very important the background go both ways.

10. Rockyv58

List of items I need to bring

Here is a list of items I have to bring with me:

CPR, Driver’s License,Car Insurance,TB Card,Social Security Card-Passport and $25.00 fee for background check.

Most of them I can understand especially with health care, but passport? Even when I worked doing help desk for the USPS I never needed to show a passport. I'm surprised they don't want to see a birth certificate also.

11. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

The passport, Drivers license and Social Card is likely just for the I-9 form. Thats the one you have to fill out that is supposed to prove you are legally allowed to work here. (US Citizen, green card, etc). It requires a combination of different forms of ID, and all three of those are included in that.

My biggest concern would have been that this is some sort of Pay to Play scheme, but they aren't getting rich $25 at a time so it is probably legit. Slimey and cheep, but probably not a scam.

12. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Is the parent company or partners located in another country? That would definitely make since as a reason, other than the I-9 form as the Big Ape mentioned.

13. ginger1989

ginger1989 Well-Known Member

I have had to pay for almost every background check: CNA, CNAII, my fingerprints for a job, nursing school, nursing license, last job. My current job is the first I have not had to pay for. I have been fingerprinted in 3 counties, too LOL. I understand that when my nursing license is set to expire, I have to pay for another fingerprint background check. I have gotten used to it. I save the receipts, get to write it off.