Ban on shooting firearms in Johnston County on private property?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Webmaster, Aug 29, 2012.

1. ECAVE

ECAVE Well-Known Member

Its people control...

I did not read all the posts but this is just another way to get gun control. They cant get it done at the national level so they are trying to do it at the local level. I always knew this is how it would come about.

I will agree that guns do not need to be fired in certain areas, not just subdivisions. I do not live in a subdivision but houses in my neighborhood are pretty thickly populated so I do not shoot around here.

If you cant shoot your firearms anywhere, then eventually people will just give up and say it is not worth the trouble. Then you will have gun control. Except then it becomes people control which is what our government wants anyway. (Sorry to be political in the non political thread)
    But this is the truth.

2. Josey Wales

Josey Wales Well-Known Member

There's already a law against that.

Article 2, Section 12-32.(6) The following acts, among others, are declared to be loud and disturbing noises in violation of this article:
    The discharge of firearms from two hours after sunset to one hour before sunrise is prohibited but shall not apply to the following exceptions as referenced in subsection 16-3(f) of the Johnston County Code of Ordinances:
    iii. All legal hunting activities are exempt...

So noise can't be the real issue here. The county could just change the allowed times. No need for an outright ban on shooting.

3. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Cry baby. Get over it. You want quiet?? Move to Florida.

4. Wicked

Wicked Member

Go to the meeting! Write the folks making the decision - the info is posted in this thread. Hope to see you there.

5. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

And polentardmafia1 called it correctly..... the noise ordinance had the specific language concerning firearms removed prior to the vote. Here's a link to the text of the ordinance with the section that was removed marked in red.

http://www.4042.com/images/PDF/johnston_county_noise_ordinance.pdf

The meeting was WELL attended with those wishing to voice their opinion on both sides of the issue. It was standing room only with the entire hall outside the Johnston County Commissioners meeting room filled to capacity.

[​IMG]

6. SuperDoug

SuperDoug Guest

Awesome news!!!

This is almost amazing news. The anti gunners have figured a new way to regulate our guns, they will not stop now. This should have never gotten as far as it did. We now have to be diligent and make sure we know who we elect to public office, and make sure they know where we stand on our second amendment rights.

7. momtofive

momtofive Well-Known Member

I don't mean to go off topic or hijack this thread but . . .

While I think it is great that people actually came out to let their voices be heard on this gun issue, I think it is a shame that the masses do not show up to show their support for the education of this county's children.

8. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

:iagree:

9. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

If enough children are hit by stray bullets we won't have to worry about it.

Horrible joke, I know.

Glad to see the noise ordinance passed. So I have a question:

Was section d) 6) taken out of this? http://www.wral.com/asset/news/local/2012/08/29/11485171/Noise_Ordinance_Amendment.pdf

If so, this still allows the firing of excessive guns to be considered a nuisance as the violations listed are not exclusive.

10. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Correct. That was mentioned during the meeting.
    WRAL was there also and here is the link to their story. If you watch the video, you will see the point you made being discussed:
    http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/11504778/

11. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Guns don't kill people....people do.

12. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

13. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Anybody wanna go shooting this weekend? :mrgreen:
    That is ONE thing that de-stresses me.

**not to self ~ buy clay targets **

14. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

when and where? I'll let my daughter fire her first shots.

15. Wicked

Wicked Member

I attended the meeting and stood in the hall. You can even see me in the pic above. heh

The whole discussion took about 20 minutes. The Commissioner made note of the fact that they received an estimated 300 emails against the ban, but griped about the majority of them being "copy & paste" text with no real solutions in them. He said they would discuss a few, but never did. He also indicated that that section of the meeting was for the citizens to express their concerns, but no one was really allowed to speak and the few that did were threatened with removal.

He made no real allowance for how the responses indicated a strong public opinion, but rather seemed to belittle those who wrote for not taking the time to craft a personal letter.

They had their minds made up about what they would do before the meeting. They spent all that time writing up the ordinance, they weren't going to trash it. By removing the verbiage about firearms it placated those concerned. Some of the attendees left making comments as if they were happy, and it WAS a win in that specific language about firearms was removed.

However, it doesn't matter if that verbiage is in there or not, in the end, if it falls under the definition set forth in the document, it can be prosecuted. I understand the need for regulation of noise issues, but I'm very curious to see how this pans out in practice.

For instance, let's say I own 10 or 20 acres of forested land that has some boundaries with residential housing. Let's say I have a legal, semi-auto rifle capable of high rates of fire and I like target practicing with it. One could easily go through 600 rounds in a day. All it takes is one person calling in and then we get deep into the weeds with the sheriff over distance, whether it's unreasonably loud, and whether it's excessive or not. I guess we'll see soon.

There were a LOT of unhappy folks leaving there. I heard several guys mention that they didn't expect the commissioners to get reappointed.

:beathorse:

16. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Sound like typical government SOP.

17. Wicked

Wicked Member

Actually, I'm looking for a good place to run several hundred rounds through my AK. I've not been shooting it because it is so damn noisy and I'm afraid of ****ing off the neighbors. LMAO

I've shot it some where I live but can't really do it enough to get the action working effectively. It still jams sometimes. It's Romanian surplus and you have to run 1000 rounds or more through them before they get broken in. I keep meaning to go to a range but that's a pain in the *** sometimes.

18. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

do you have stationary targets like junk vehicles?? I would like to dial in my

M 203

Thanks

19. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Our plan is to have a shooting range on the property eventually. Putting up blinds today. LOL Good thing about where we moved to, it aint on mapquest and you cant find it on a gps AND it's about 1/2 mile down a path. :hurray::hurray:

I WANT AN AK!!! My FIL brought one up from TX 2 years ago and that thing was AWESOME!!!!

No but my neighbor *might* have a meth lab we can blow up. (seriously) :?

20. tukasiya

tukasiya Well-Known Member

I see that the County Commissioners did the political thing last night. They ran from their own shadows and compromised.

And who is going to determine a violation of the noise ordinance? Well, I guess that I am.

"(b) For the purposes of this section, the following definitions shall apply:

(l) Unreasonably Loud. Noise which is substantially incompatible with the time and location where created to the extent that it creates an actual or imminent interference with peace, order, or calm of the area or which is obnoxious to or unreasonably disturbing to a person whose residence, work or commercial enterprise is within a reasonable proximity to the point, place or person from which such noise is emanating or emanated and the noise is such a kind, nature, duration or extent that a reasonable person would consider the noise to be unreasonably loud or disturbing.
    (2) Disturbing. Noise which is perceived by a person of reasonable and ordinary firmness and sensibilities as interrupting the normal peace, order, or calm of such person or persons or that of the proximal area or tending to annoy, disturb, or frighten such persons in such proximity to the point, place or person from which such noise is emanating or emanated that a person of reasonable and ordinary firmness and sensibilities would reasonably be or reasonably be expected to be disturbed in his or her use, occupation, or pursuits."

"(c) In determining whether a noise is unreasonably loud or disturbing, the following non- exclusive factors incident to such noise are to be considered: Time of day; proximity to residential structures; whether the noise is consistent with the nature of the surrounding area (that is, within a reasonable degree of proximity such that the noise could reasonably be expected to affect the persons or persons who occupy, live or dwell in such proximity); the range or distance from the point of emanation that the sound may be unreasonably loud or disturbing; whether the noise is recurrent, repetitive, intermittent, or constant; the volume or intensity of the noise; whether the noise has been enhanced in volume or range by any type of mechanical, electronic, or other similar means; the nature and zoning of the area; whether the noise is related to the normal operation of a business or other labor activity, whether the noise is subject to being controlled without unreasonable effort or expense to the creator or person or entity causing or allowing the emanation of such noise; and any other factor which reasonably should be considered in determining whether a noise is unreasonably loud or disturbing."

No one is restricting your right to keep and bear arms, only to "regulate" when and where you can disturb the peace. As I posted earlier, this is not about your 2nd amendment rights, but about the noise.

Do you really think that the use of arms some 236 years ago included people blasting away at tin cans and bottles on a regular basis? I expect that ammunition was hard to come by and that only the landed gentry could afford to waste ammunition on target shooting. No one is going to take your guns away.

"In no particular order, early American settlers viewed the right to arms and/or the right to bear arms and/or state militias as important for one or more of these purposes:

deterring tyrannical government;
    repelling invasion;
    suppressing insurrection;
    facilitating a natural right of self-defense;
    participating in law enforcement;
    enabling the people to organize a militia system."

I don't see target practice listed or disturbing the peace.