Bathrooms in Charlotte

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Ridge, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

No, you will not, but then again actually reading the law instead of the conservative blog review goes a long way toward getting accurate information.

2. Wayne Stollings

http://abcnews.go.com/US/security-g...ng-transgender-woman-womens/story?id=39227006

A security guard at a Giant Food grocery store in Washington, D.C., has been charged with simple assault for allegedly pushing a transgender woman out of the store after trying to use the women's restroom, according to the Metropolitan Police Department.

The incident happened around noon on Wednesday when Ebony Belcher -- who identified herself as a trans woman to ABC affiliate WJLA -- went to use the women's bathroom at a Giant grocery store in the city, according to a statement by Metropolitan Police Officer Tisha Grant filed with the Superior Court for the District of Columbia.

A security guard -- identified to ABC News by a police spokeswoman as 45-year-old Francine Jones -- then approached Belcher and told her "she could not use the [women's] bathroom," the statement said. A verbal altercation ensued, during which Jones used a homophobic slur and told Belcher, "(you) need to get out of here," the statement continued.

Belcher then left the bathroom and proceeded to walk to the main area of the store, but Jones then blocked her and pushed her out the door, according to the statement.

Once outside, Belcher called 911, the statement said. Jones was then "arrested for Simple Assault and transported to the First District Police Station for processing," according to the statement.

3. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

An Open Letter to Bob Morgan and the Charlotte Chamber
    Dear Mr. Morgan,

I don’t know you. I don’t know your politics, your faith, or anything about you other than your position as president of the Charlotte Chamber, and that you seem to have a nice tan. And that you speak for the Charlotte Chamber in your recent letter to the Charlotte Observer. I don’t speak for anyone but me. My opinions are not those of a millionaire CEO, or even a six-figure-earning MBA VP in one of the downtown towers. I’m just a small businessman working out of his spare bedroom trying to make ends meet. As such, I’m probably not terribly important to you and the people you claim to represent.

But here’s what I am, Bob. I’m as staunch an ally to Charlotte LGBTQ community as I know how to be. And I vote, both in the booth and with my dollars. And apparently there are a lot of me around, because when the last City Council failed to pass an anti-discrimination ordinance in Charlotte, we voted in a Council that would. And they did.

And then your buddies in Raleigh, who you are showing more loyalty to than the people you are hired to promote in Charlotte, reached down and yanked away not only the blanket of protection that Charlotte put into place for LGBTQ citizens, but also stripped away rights from every municipality in our state, and from everyone who has ever held a job in North Carolina. And if our City Council “lit the match” by passing a non-discrimination ordinance, our state legislature “went nuclear” by not only removing protections for LGBTQ citizens, but also anyone else that is wrongfully terminated for a reason other than a very narrow set of reasons that follow almost identically the federal EEOC guidelines. And if HB2 was merely a reaction to Charlotte’s “overreach,” why does the majority of this bill address subjects that have nothing to do with Charlotte non-discrimination ordinance?

Charlotte’s ordinance had nothing to do with minimum wage, yet it’s part of HB2. Why is that?

Charlotte’s ordinance had nothing to do with bringing suit against an employer in state court, yet that ability is removed by HB2. Why is that?

If this was really about bathrooms and protecting the innocent women and children of our state, why does only one in three sections of HB2 – 33% of the law for the mathematically challenged – have anything to do with bathrooms?

This is not about bathrooms, Bob. It is about making sure that our people are protected, not just from discrimination in restrooms, but from wrongful termination, and from being paid unfairly for the work they put in.

And you want to compromise on these issues? You want to fly in the face of Bank of America, American Airlines, Wells Fargo, Red Hat, Time Warner Cable, PepsiCo, and Rob Reiner? Come on, Bob, even Archie Bunker’s son-in-law “Meathead” knows this law is wrong!

Negotiation on human rights gets us “separate but equal.” Negotiation on human rights get us “domestic partnerships.” Negotiation on human rights gets us right back to Jim Crow.

I am not calling for “inaction” by my City Council. I am calling for steadfast resistance. I am calling on Mayor Jennifer Roberts and Council Members John Autry, Patsy Kinsey, Julie Eiselt, and LaWana Mayfield to stand firm against these calls to “compromise,” which are really just Raleigh telling Charlotte’s leadership to toe the line they have drawn. I don’t want city leadership that will toe anyone else’s line. I want city leadership that will push that line of equality and progress forward.

And Bob, if you, as president of the Charlotte Chamber, aren’t interested in pushing that line forward, then you should resign. Yesterday would be a good time for that. Because if you aren’t part of the solution, you’re part of the problem, and bowing to Raleigh’s demands and giving a victory to a gerrymandered and corrupted process is no solution.

Make no mistake, Bob, we are in a fight for the soul of our state. Not just about bathrooms, or LGBTQ equality, but about progress versus fear, about acceptance versus ignorance, and about honest concern for the well being of your fellow man versus manipulative, fear-based politics that exist only to line the pockets of the few at the expense of the many.

So pick a side, or stand aside. But there must be no compromise, and history is watching.

http://johnhartness.com/2016/05/23/an-open-letter-to-bob-morgan-and-the-charlotte-chamber/

4. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

5. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

6. Wayne Stollings

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/...ttle-support-from-north-carolinians.html#more

HB2 Continues To Have Little Support From North Carolinians

PPP's newest North Carolina poll continues to find that HB2 is very unpopular, and voters want to see it repealed.

Only 35% of voters in the state support the bill, to 44% who are opposed to it. We continue to find that there are a lot more Republicans (28%) who are opposed to it than there are Democrats (16%) in support of it. 50% of voters in the state would like to see it repealed, compared to only 38% who think it should stay on the books. That includes a 46/39 spread among independents in favor of repealing it.

The reason for voters wanting HB2 repealed are pretty straightforward- they think it's hurting the state both economically and in terms of its national reputation. Overall only 29% of voters believe HB2 is helping North Carolina, t0 56% who think it's hurting. That includes a 29/53 spread with independents. Specifically on the issue of the economy, only 12% think it's having a positive impact on the state to 50% who think it's hurting. Even among Republicans 14% more think it's negatively affecting the state's economy than positively. And just 24% of voters think HB2 is helping the state's national reputation, to 53% who think it's hurting.

One final reason for HB2's unpopularity is that voters don't believe it's achieving its stated purpose of making the state safer. Only 36% think it's made North Carolina safer to 47% who don't think it has. And among women, who the bill purportedly protects from men in their bathrooms, just 28% think it's made the state safer to 53% who think it has not. On the whole 2 months after HB2's passage it's not getting any more popular.

7. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

Put it to a vote and see how it gets voted on.

Romeo likes this.
  8. Wayne Stollings

Why waste more money on it, you cannot vote in discrimination without changing the federal laws first.

Hught likes this.
  9. poppin cork

Ask the Charlotte mayor why she started all this idiocy.

10. Wayne Stollings

She did not start anything. Charlotte has an ordinance in line with federal law, but the NC legislature tried to prevent it from being implemented which in turn put NC in violation of federal law and instead of coming into compliance they waste money to be shown in court they are not in compliance.

Hught likes this.
  11. ROUTER

ROUTER Well-Known Member

Why would you need a city ordinance to support federal law? Just another example of why I think this is all a big joke, no one is going to "check" people before they go into a bathroom, nothing has really changed, and nothing is really going to change due to this law.

Romeo and poppin cork like this.
  12. Wayne Stollings

For the same reason there are other laws prohibiting discrimination on the local level. A federal law must be enforced by a federal agency while a local law can be enforced by the local authorities. It makes it much easier for those who have been discriminated against to seek justice. As for the "checking" it does happen but it is people who believe a person is not in the appropriate facility and take issue with it.

Hught likes this.
  13. ROUTER

ROUTER Well-Known Member

So you are saying that people are now "checking" because of HB2? Nothing has changed, people will always be assholes.

14. Wayne Stollings

No, they were doing so before HB2 and the Charlotte ordinance. There are statistics showing most of the transgender people have experienced everything from verbal to physical assaults in bathrooms because they were claimed to have been in the wrong one. Many do not report it to the authorities because if there is no clear law allowing them access the police may not take the case seriously because they "deserve it" because they went to the "wrong" bathroom. That is why there are laws similar to that enacted in Charlotte in many other locations.

15. Wayne Stollings

Some of the other state's have laws to protect the rights of transgender people ..prior posts:

16. Wayne Stollings

contd

17. poppin cork

My point exactly. It's all for politics in an election year.

Romeo and ROUTER like this.
  18. Wayne Stollings

Except for the whole getting the federal agencies involved with EVERY incident or forgetting it ......

19. ROUTER

ROUTER Well-Known Member

I mean are you supposed to sit silent if a man walks into the bathroom with your daughter? Hey, I get it, live and let live, this really has nothing to do with trans people, and everything to do with people who could use the Charlotte ordinance in a negative way. Are you telling me that if some guy walks into the bathroom with my daughter it is ok? What if it were your little girl? Would you let your daughter go to the bathroom with a man in there? I agree, some people are different, who cares if they go potty, but don't make rules that could be used by a pervert. No one said that they HAVE been used to gain access to women and children, but they could. There is a large amount of rape cases that go unreported every year as well, so it is hard to say that no one has ever been emboldened by laws like these in their attempts to cause harm to others. I don't think that anyone is trying to inflict harm upon the LGBT community with this law, hell, I think this whole thing is stupid, but, you can't tell me that it is unconstitutional to make boys go to the boys room, and girls go to the girls room. It is just common sense. No one is going to question Kaitlyn Jenner when she walks into the girls room, but keep in mind that she is a man, dressed as a girl, who is attracted to women. To say this is a hard to understand situation is an understatement, but the safety of .03 percent is no more important than the feeling of safety for many women. If your wife or daughter were to ever be forced to feel like they were not in a safe situation you would feel the same way, perception is reality for those who perceive things to be that way.

20. Wayne Stollings

If you are sure that it is a man they are most likely not transgender or the HB2 is still in effect. With HB2 anyone whose birth certificate listed them as "F" would be required to go to the women's restroom. Chaz Bono for example would be required to go to the women's restroom by law. If they did not and were caught they would be in the wrong.

No, as any man was not prevented from going to the women's restroom until HB2. That was a huge problem in the past, right?

No, but that would be the requirement for a transgender woman who was becoming a man for all of the time prior to the completion.

As I said, if it were clearly a man, no. If it was a transgender man becoming a woman it would not be clear and I would not have a reason to question them, but that does not mean anyone is safe anywhere.

Anything CAN happen, but it is not likely. The thing everyone is forgetting is there was no law to prevent those preverts from entering the women's restroom before. Any action inside was probably illegal and carried a real punishment.

Lesbian rapists could go to the restroom too.

How do you define a "boy" and a "girl" for all cases? There are many who have been converted to one sex, usually female, at or near birth due to genetic abnormalities or medical errors. This is not a case of "could" happen, but has happened, does happen and will continue to happen.

Possibly, depending on how far into the process she has proceeded. The hormonal therapy was first and at some point the assignment surgery would be considered and at that point she would be a woman in the legal sense, but she would still be required to use the men's room until that point.

'The problem is the "feeling" of safety verses the document lack of safety makes it very difficult to condone discrimination against a minority based on sex. That is in the Constitution and the NC legislature trying to add "biological" to it does not work.

How about if your daughter had been your son and you knew that if she went to the men's room as required she would stand a very real probability of being abused in some manner up to and including sexual assault? Would you feel the perception of safety by another woman was more important than the real safety of your daughter?

Hught likes this.