Bathrooms in Charlotte

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Ridge, Feb 24, 2016.

1. ROUTER

ROUTER Well-Known Member

Like I said before, I am no fan of any of this, how do you pick a side, why is there a side, why is it not left alone? It is only a politically divisive crock of bs.

2. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

From what I understand the reason it is not left alone is because there are people who are being negatively impacted by the old status quo. It is to give those people a legal right to do what they have generally been doing all along with out most of us knowing or really caring. Those few who did know and took offense are sufficient reason for clear laws especially for the larger employers. From what I have read in some of the management focused publication it is not unknown for a single employee to take issue with another employee's transition and attempt to prevent that transition. The rulings on the federal law coverage have not been clear until recently so the employers have been in a legal limbo in those cases. Whichever employee they supported risked them litigation that the medical treatment of one did not clearly mitigate.

I will use the case of the first transgender of which I ever knew to illustrate how this worked at the time. "Sue" worked in a auto dealership as the parts manager for years. She had always been a tomboy type and many suspected she was a dyke. At one point she decided to act on the feelings and transition into the male she had always felt she was. I have no first hand knowledge but the rumor was that she had been born "Sam" and the circumcision had been botched resulting in her conversion to "Sue" while an infant. A few of the mechanics refused to allow the new "Sam" to use the facilities although by that time he had more of a beard than many of them. The dealership finally added a separate bathroom in the parts area just for her because there was no real legal solution. "Sam" was an excellent member of the management team which would be difficult and expensive to replace. Mechanics were more easily replaced but that was something they did not wish to do. Over time the turnover of the mechanics had all of the original concerned men replaced, which made things much more easy for the management. Even though everyone heard the rumors of "Sam/Sue" the direct connection that caused the initial problem was gone.

According to a psychiatrist friend, for such a transition now "Sue" would be required to live the life of "Sam" for a year before any hormone treatments would be started. This includes dressing as and using the restrooms of a man. This is part of the treatment to determine whether a transition is viable for that person. Once that hurdle is cleared "Sue" would be put on a hormone treatment program that would bring about physical changes. After this the timeline is much more flexible because even with insurance coverage the expenses are significant. Breast reduction surgery may be required for example. The transition may take years as a result or may only progress to a certain point and no farther, but for the entire period of the treatment these people are supposed to live as the gender to which they are transitioning.

There will be people who know of or suspect the process and who will not be supportive and others who will be in clear opposition for their own reasons, which will cause problems for the transgender person thereby affecting their treatment and this is why there needs to be a side at times and why it cannot be left alone.

3. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

I saw on TV yesterday where Wal-Mart will be stopping it's price comparing with rival store adds. I didn't hear the date when they are stopping.
    I wonder how that will effect their stock.
    Do you think that will cause them to start charging for their restrooms? Perhaps 10% more for Transgender?

Hught likes this.
  4. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Evidently even Jesus was confused as to which bathroom to use -

5. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

6. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

I can't say what Jesus Would have done, but I did go outside and tinkle while I waited for yall

Sherry A. and Hught like this.
  7. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

This one made me laugh this morning

upload_2016-6-20_8-31-48.png

Auxie, cynadon, Romeo and 4 others like this.
  8. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

Dang, we ad went 19 days without an update on this thread.

Romeo likes this.
  9. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Mark, you are welcome! :D

Actually I forgot about it until it popped up in yesterdays comics.

10. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

I'm just glad that the Discussion Group is back on line!! :) I was afraid that it was gone forever.:eek:

11. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I am finding more and more every day that growing old sucks, but probably beter than the alternative.

[​IMG]

Sherry A., Auxie and poppin cork like this.
  12. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

13. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Carolina's transgender bathroom law
    [​IMG] The National Basketball Association won't be holding the 2017 All-Star Game in Charlotte, North Carolina, because of a recently passed state law that discriminates against transgender people.
    (more…)

14. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

Good

Auxie and Hught like this.
  15. Wayne Stollings

Who needs income when they have the fine leadership in Raleigh to make sure you do not have unemployment insurance coverage either.

bridgett likes this.
  16. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I agree with you, maybe the GOP will realize they have screwed up and repeal the rest of this stupid law.

17. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

And they should rewrite it.

18. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Sherry A. likes this.
  19. Wayne Stollings

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/09/13/north-carolina-bathroom-bill-hb2-ncaa-tournament

North Carolina has hosted more NCAA tournament games than any other state, but it won’t get a single one this season. On Monday night, the NCAA announced it would remove championship events from the state this academic year. The action was a response to the state’s controversial Public Facilities Privacy & Security Act, more commonly known as the bathroom bill, House Bill 2 or HB2. Most notably, the decision means that the planned Greensboro regional of the NCAA tournament (first and second rounds) will be moved elsewhere. It’s a major blow to a state whose athletic identity at the collegiate level centers on basketball.

<snip>

While Mueller and the North Carolina GOP may view the NCAA’s action as “so absurd it’s almost comical,” it’s unlikely that North Carolinians will find the absent entertainment and lost revenue funny. And if North Carolina voters want to keep their state the king of the NCAA tournament, they’ll need to send a strong message in November.

20. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

a law that is not enforacble shouldn't be written.

Sherry A. and Hught like this.