BCBS of NC

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Tardevil, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

I heard an ad on the radio this morning indicating there was a way in the Healthcare.gov to work from a doctor or group back to the plans they were associated with. This was an ad by Duke, so there must be something to it.

2. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

I liked my stuff, so I kept my stuff. Just like they said.

3. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Same here. But that doesn't mean they can't jack up the premiums.

Anyone have a reference back to the last time BCBS requested a rate hike? I am all for a rate hike if it is a business decision, but how about increments? I am seeing a 31% increase.

4. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

We carried a BCBS group plan for years and never saw less than a double digit increase from one year to the next on the same plan. A couple of time the increase was in the mid-20% range too.

5. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

That is nothing new. While on a private plan (w/ a small company) with BCBS the rates continuously went up between 15%-%30 each year. It will rise more if you are turning 40, 50, or 60. I tried looking through the healthcare.gov site early this morning and it was not helpful. I do not see where we can look doctors up and see who is taking what levels of the insurance. I am willing to change doctors if they are local.

6. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

GMTA!

7. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

they came right out and told me my plan would no longer be available... figures because I had a good one.

8. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I found the doctor look-up page, but it is a bit clunky. It tells you what plans your doctor accepts, however if you have 5 or 6 doctors (OB/Gyn, Dermatology, Pediatrician, etc.) then you have your work cut out for you to find the common denominator and the plan that most, or all, of those doctors accept. Otherwise, you'll have to change some doctors if you're willing to accept that. Also, there is no guarantee that a doctor will continue to accept a plan.

My increase has gotten to the point (with the recent 31% bump) where it is now economically feasible to add my dependents to my work plan. Having the premium deducted before taxes will help. Better coverage too. Although it is still much more expensive.

9. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

10. cynadon

Other than the clunky web site, I'm glad to hear it's working out for you.

11. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

For reference, since my old plan was gone now, the new "comparable" plan was $27 more per month, or about 10% more.

12. cynadon

So it's okay if they put it in easy?

13. cynadon

400$ a year or 30$ a month. about the same. One way, you ain't to to brace yourself as much.

14. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Well, not exactly. I was thinking that if they wanted a 8% increase one year and a 32% increase the next, why not make it two 20% increases. I realize they are having to adjust as well (so they say) to new changes, but my last three hikes have been less than 10% and now POW...30%. Many industries do this.

15. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter Well-Known Member

This is indeed accurate.

16. High Plains Drifter

Thank a Democrat

trident2 likes this.
  17. High Plains Drifter

In Wake Co they tell you whether you go to Rex (UNC) or Dook affiliated practices.

"If you want to keep your doctor...."

18. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

You can take that remark to the Forum where it belongs. Had I or others said this you and others would be all over us.

Sherry

Hught and Wayne Stollings like this.
  19. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Only because the first time you did it you gave at the time a sincere apology but than proceeded to change sincere to insincere and a BS one due to invoking politics on this side several other times. Your fellow lap dog also.
    Just saying.
    If this is a discussion on the problems with health ins costs we can't leave out the root of the problem.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  20. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Double standard much? If the root problem, in your mind, is political then this Thread belongs in that Forum, just like the one for the Pope, which your ilk made political.

Sherry

Hught and Wayne Stollings like this.