Best and Worst Rollercoasters?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by CakePrincess, Aug 4, 2009.

1. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

:iagree: Last time I rode one, I got off practically in tears, with the little boy in front of me yelling, "Grandpa can we go again?" :lol:

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

:jester:

3. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Hershey Park is supposed to have one wicked coaster, can't remember what its called - but saw it on a show about coasters.

I used to love riding them! The Hulk at Is of Adv was one of my fav's - but as I've gotten older, it does bother me more, esp the ones that really throw your head around - they give me a headache and I worry more about lasting effects....... :?

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I can't remember what that one is called either, but DH rode it a bunch last time. He can have it!! :lol: I get motion sick really easy now as well, so it's best if I don't even go there. Heck, a Ferris Wheel makes me sick now. :?

5. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Stay away from the water beds

6. seabee

seabee Guest

unless they are baffled... :jester:

7. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Ya'll are awful, LOL. :jester: :jester: :jester:

8. rrgreennc

rrgreennc Well-Known Member

That was one wild coaster. I only rode it twice in its existence, and nobody else in my group would ever ride it after the first time. It was not for the faint of heart, and I have several friends that would normally ride anything that did not like this roller coaster. It's probably the roughest steel coaster I've ever ridden, and that was the reason it didn't last long.

I'm sorry to hear that the Big Bad Wolf is going away. Although it is a tame ride as roller coasters go, it is unique and was always a fun ride. Sure hope Busch Gardens is planning to replace with another coaster or at least something on the high end of the thrill scale. I was planning to skip the trip to Busch this year, but may have to go to get one last trip on this ride.

9. englishbullymom

englishbullymom Well-Known Member

I only ever rode drachenfire once as well. My neck and head ached for hours after that one. I was actually glad to see it go! We usually go about every other year during hallow scream in October, but are talking about making a round before big bad wolf retires as well. My aunt said the official date as or right now is Sept. 7th and I do believe we will see a new coaster in its place...

10. CakePrincess

CakePrincess Well-Known Member

I got puzzled about Drachen Fire, as I didn't see it when I was at Busch Gardens VA few weeks ago. So I googled it and I found the article to be very interesting:

Because of complaints of roughness, the first corkscrew (inversion #4), which immediately followed the block brake, was removed after the 1994 season. Drachen Fire continued to operate without incident until it mysteriously closed on July 11, 1998. According to Larry Giles, Head Engineer of the park, Drachen Fire was closed because it continually failed to pass their standards on G-force limits tested by accelerometers placed on the trains, thus leading to the ride's ultimate closure. For the remainder of that season and for the next three seasons, it lay dormant as the park attempted—without success—to sell the coaster. During the coaster's “Standing But Not Operating” status, the park had no signs marking the ride's location. Its entrance was blocked off from the walkways and the coaster itself erased from maps and brochures.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drachen_Fire

11. CakePrincess

CakePrincess Well-Known Member

Any good coasters at Carowinds? We're going there next weekend.

12. englishbullymom

Haven't been to Carowinds probably in 12 years-hubby and I will take a day trip to Kings Dominion since they have the "bigger" coasters. But I used to love the carolina cyclone when I went to Carowinds and the Top Gun coaster was pretty decent. And Carowinds had one of the first "stand up" coasters called the Vortex which I remember was fun. Not sure what they have changed added since I was there...

I think Carowinds has one of the worst wooden coasters ever - the hurler - I think it was?? It was the Bill and Ted's execellent adventures themed one. Roughest ride ever and I could barely walk my knees were so banged up!! But it has a pretty decent drop at the beginning that will turn you stomach:lol:

13. CraigSPL

I also read on one of the coaster fan sites that when Alpengeist was first installed and they were doing the test runs that they had to modify the first drop hill to slow the car down.

14. englishbullymom

Oh and what's the coaster that just goes up and down hills at Carowinds?? They run two identical coasters side by side and you go up and down and then you get to the end and I think come back backwards? Anyone know or did I just dream this one??:lol:

15. englishbullymom

I can believe it! We were there on opening weekend for Alpengeist and that first drop skeered the living you know what out of me. I remember going back after a couple years and it seemed like it had calmed down a bit. See, it's best to not read all that crap because then you have to think about it and if you could have died:lol:

16. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

17. CraigSPL

Only thing like that I remember was Thunder Road...an out and back hill coaster. same as Rebel Yell at King's Dominion.

Carowinds used to have what was called the white lightning coaster which was nothing but a loop out to a raised track end then backwards through the loop again to the station.

18. englishbullymom

Thunder Road-that's it! I used to hate riding that one but all my friends loved it. I prefer the fast steel coasters and for a long time, if it didn't go upside down or corkscrew, I wouldn' t ride it.