Best Neighborhood for Trick-or-Treating on Oct. 31st?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by KB2, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

This irks me as well. And I just came up with a fantastic solution!!!

I am going to buy a few jars of baby food. And say "Awe, how cute! I have just the thing for this cute little bunny. Happy Halloween Baby Bunny!!!" Drop a jar in their bag, and shut the door. :cool:

2. Cleopatra

Driving from house to house, how freaking lazy can one be? The goal of Trick or Treating is not to see how much loot you can score (esp when I throw out a handful every night while the the girls sleep, sssh!!). We trick or treat in our own neighborhood, even if it was hilly and houses are spread far apart. I do know alot of the neighbors, and my kids want to show off their costumes - we worked hard on them! I also bring the wagon along for tired children, but really they are so excited it's not used until on the way back home. If your kids are tired and can't go on anymore, it's time to go home. It's just candy, you can go buy it at the store yourself.

I don't put too much emphasis on actual trick or treating, there is so much else to do and other opportunities for your kids to wear their costumes. Church festivals, GCCC event, pumpkin patch, Clayton kids Halloween parade...

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  3. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Well-Known Member

Seriously? Hell, that was always the goal! Were you born 30?

4. Cleopatra

It might be for the kids, but *I* am the parent. See my post where I throw it out when they are not looking....

5. ARodrigues

ARodrigues Well-Known Member

And here I am worried that NO kids will come trick or treating in our neighborhood! I LOVE to see the kids dressed up!

6. Tom Servo

I saw it. Of course you throw out most of the stuff. My point is that eating it wasn't the goal, getting it was. :lol:

You never dumped all your stuff on the floor when the night was over and traded?

7. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

so i can understand new parents especially being excited to show off their babies. i think most are not trying to score actual candy for themselves (although they wouldn't turn it away). so even though said in jest, i think your idea of baby food actually is hitting on something. clip a coupon and grab a box of those gerber baby gummies. and just remember, all babies are cute if you can send them back home with their parents when they poop or cry. :)

8. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

my grandfather lives on a major highway, so the kids have to be driven to his house. and the same families come year after year...probably the grandkids of the initial visitors from years ago by now! their house is known for the baggies of goodies my grandmother used to make for whoever would come whether they knew them or not. he barely makes dinner or goes grocery shopping for himself, but he still makes a point every year to stockpile candy, make the baggies, and wait for the little witches and ghosts and princesses and storm troopers to come to the door. it's a close 2nd to christmas eve with all the grandchildren for him.

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

That is so sweet!!!! :grouphug:

10. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

ok, kdc...i have no idea what your avatar means or even if it has any deeper meaning, but just wanted you to know it makes me laugh. :)

11. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

LOL!! I have no idea either, it just cracked me up. :jester:

12. ferrickhead28

ferrickhead28 Well-Known Member

In our neighborhood, we have a local church right outside of the neighborhood that has a hay ride truck that brings the kids through the neighborhood to trick or treat. I apologize, the name of the church has slipped my mind but I'm sure they would love new people.

Last year at my house, we hosted a haunted house since we get so many kids each year. One family in the neighborhood used to host a haunted house but they have since moved out. Hearing the disappointment in the kids, we decided to host our own haunted house. The church hayride event skipped our house (I'm assuming because of the haunted house although we had someone outside who was strictly to pass out candy only) which is understandable, but we had sooooooo much candy left.

So anyway, I personally would LOVE to have some extra kids at my house in particular. You dont have to go through the haunted house (well garage actually) but there will be someone outside of it to hand out candy to the little ones. I live in a really big neighborhood as well.

If anyone is interested, feel free to PM me and I'll give you the addy. Parental guidance is suggested on whether or not you would like your kid to get "spooked" or not but I would suggest over the age of 8.

I really love Halloween in our neighborhood because it reminds me of the "old fashioned" hallloween where the streets are lined with kids in costume trick or treating. Its how my neighborhood was when I was a child, its not anymore, but I think if you have a few extra bucks to contribute to candy for the kids, then keep your porch light on. :)

13. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I love you :jester:

14. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

LMAO... great one... I have a few jars saved from the grandson visit... I might just do Halloween this year to unload it.

15. FrameMaMa

FrameMaMa Well-Known Member

Maybe we can write Gerber and mention that they make Candy Corn and Tootsie roll flavored baby food...:lol:
    Just for Halloween!

16. Cleopatra

We dumped it and looked for needles and open packages.

17. Cleopatra

The ones I have seen are kids themselves. I totally think it's about the candy. That's why they are getting baby food.

18. Savealot

Savealot Well-Known Member

My brother and I would dump all of our candy and trade it. Of course only after our mom looked for needles etc. Never did meet anyone that ever found needles or whatever our parents looked for. anyone?

19. Tom Servo

I never did either. I think it was an urban legend that swept the country. There were actually some hospitals that would x-ray your candy for free. I'll bet that was good for the kids :roll:

20. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I will say that I went w/ my Godson and his mom last year to trick-or-treat. He was 7 months at the time. It was more of a photo op for us. We only went to a few houses with him receiving candy and then just walked along with my niece so she could do her thing. I scrapbook so there was no way I was going to leave out his first Halloween...little bat costume and all!