bet on how much snow.

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Jan 12, 2022.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Ok I figure here in JOCO less then an inch. But Wake, Durham, Orange county schools will all be closed till at least Wednesday. Even if they are doing remote learning that will even be called off. And for JOCO classed cancelled Monday and Tuesday. That's my bet

2. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Clayton, 40/42, Northern JoCo - Probably about an inch of actual snowfall, but it will quickly be washed away by rain. At least that is what the most current model is showing.
    Raleigh and northwest may actually get a couple inches, but most will probably wash away in the afternoon evening as well

upload_2022-1-13_7-3-32.png

3. Rockyv58

yeah but watch how channels like ABC11 will pre-empt everything and do reports from around the entire area. From Roxboro all the way to Fayetteville

4. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

That is their viewing areas.

5. Rockyv58

ABC11 is showing how the DOT is brining the roads. And this will be another winter that Polenta road does not get brined. in the 21+ years that i have lived here and seen explosive growth. I have never seen that road brined .

6. jesse82nc

I wouldn't worry too much here, Sunday morning early will be the only time there may be any slick roads in our area. By lunch time it will already be above freezing, by the mid afternoon it will be in the 40s.

It doesn't get below freezing again until Monday night, at which point this will all be fairly gone and dry.

7. Rockyv58

Oh i'm not worried for where we are. It's just funny how the news makes it like its some huge storm. Wish they had given that much thought when we had the storm back in 2000. I remember Wral taughting their Dopler (now dual dopler) saying we were only going to see 3-4" of snow and got more then 20" of snow.

But I do know that ever since I move out to South Plantation the DOT has NEVER brined or plowed Polenta Road. And on that one curve just before the high school it always gets icy. And it takes longer to melt then other areas (due to being shaded by the trees). You always see one or more cars off in the ditch due to the fact people do not slow down through that section.

Sorry just kind of venting :)

8. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

9. Rockyv58

I did run out to Food Lion, Yes to get Milk and Bread. But i noticed that both Raleigh/Mclemore had been brined as well as Cleveland Road. Bit the side roads between Cleveland and Polenta were not and Polenta was not either. Can anyone tell me Why they still do not include Polenta in the brining? Or can you point me to the NC DOT dept I can contact for the future. Thanks

10. jesse82nc

Most of the models are in some kind of agreement that Friday and Saturday will deliver 1-3 inches right now with possible pockets to 5 in some parts of JoCo. But it's still over 100 hours out, so much will change.

11. BuzzMyMonkey

12. jesse82nc

This morning's latest model runs continue to suggest that JoCo will get at least an inch or two of snow with some areas of the county getting 3-4 inches. All 5 major models show some amount of snow, one is crazy and they think we will get 8-12 inches.

13. BuzzMyMonkey

If that low gets well established it could be a real snowstorm.

14. jesse82nc

5 different models are showing 4-6 inches for most of JoCo now. One model is showing 7-8 inches. Rain Thursday afternoon into the evening, then around midnight it drops below freezing and we get 4+ inches of snow on Friday, mostly in the afternoon. It stays below freezing from Friday morning through Saturday afternoon, only just barely getting above 36F for a couple hours, then back to very cold Saturday night.

There will be a lot more ice on the bridges Friday and Saturday than the last storm.

15. jesse82nc

Most models have brought that down to 2-3 inches for most of JoCo.

16. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

Roads totally dry this morning. I was really surprised. 50 (near 42/50) to 70 to 40 (near RTP). Time in was 40 minutes vs normal 35.

Rockyv58 likes this.
  17. Rockyv58

i was really expecting to wake up and see sleet on the ground and it sleeting

18. jesse82nc

Looks like the roads dried up more than expected after the rain yesterday before they had a chance to freeze. Temperatures are still in the mid to upper 20s today though. So freezing can still happen. Still expected 2-4 inches for most of the area, starting in the early afternoon and lasting late into the night. Everything should stick with the temperatures where they are. No major melting expected tomorrow, however Saturday night will be very cold, so possible ice on the roads Sunday morning.

19. jesse82nc

Looks like we got about 3-4 inches at the homestead just oustide Clayton.

20. jesse82nc

Well don't freak out just yet, this is a week away, and the other models are not showing anything like this. But next Saturday into Sunday one of the models is showing a monster. I highly doubt that will happen. Most likely won't get anything. But if it did happen, that would be insane for the Triangle. That's almost 3 feet in Raleigh.

2022-01-22_18-57-57.jpg