Beta Software??

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by chuck, Apr 27, 2005.

1. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member

What exactly is beta software? There was an article in the paper this weekend about a software called Evernote (www.evernote.com) and one of the columnists was recommending it. He kept calling it "beta software." I'm sure I should know what this means, but I don't.

On a side note, the software is fairly simple but pretty neat. It's described as a never ending roll of paper to make notes on and allows you to make notes in different formats, text, html, graphs, etc. Sure beats post-its wallpapering my desk.

2. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Beta versions of commercial software are work-in-progress test copies released prior to the full version. They're used to put the product through real-world tests and to ferret out bugs before the finished software hits the shelves.

3. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Yup yup. What Webbie said. :wink:

I try to stay away from beta versions, at least for the long run. Just to check something out, usually no problem.

4. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Would you be weary of downloading it? It seems to work pretty well, but I don't want it to crash my computer either.

5. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

If you are running Windows XP, before installing *any* new software it's a good idea to first create a Restore Point. That way if it screws up your PC you have a better chance of recovering by falling back to the Restore Point.

To create a Restore Point:
    click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore. When the System Restore Utility opens, click "Create a Restore Point" then click Next. Enter a name for this Restore Point (for instance, "Before Installing WordPerfect Office"), and click Create. The utility will then take a snapshot of your system so that you can restore to that point sometime in the future.

6. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member

Thanks webbie. It came with an uninstall, so I'll just uninstall it, set up a restore point, then reinstall it. Simple enough. Thanks for the tip on the restore point.

7. David

David Well-Known Member

I rescue Beta software from WalMart and donate it toothless people in Ohio, with Mature Kindergarteners, at Ruby Tuesdays.

8. CrzyForBaseball

CrzyForBaseball Well-Known Member

re:

I will say this... I've beta tested a lot of software of the years. (actually helped beta test the first release of InstallShield, which is a popular industry standard now). While 90% of the time you'll be OK, IF you are not in a position to accept it doing unexpected things to your system, then stay away. I've heard of testers having to reformat and reinstall before. Beta software can be fun, but you just have to know it is a risk. Of course most software today, even gold releases can be extremely buggy and bothersome also. At least with XP it's better than the olds days of 95 and 98, do like the webmaster said and it will cure most problems you may encounter.

9. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    You kill me!

10. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

I agree with Webbie, Crzy and Ken about their points. I also beta test different software and games, the purpose is to find bugs and evaluate programs. If it weren't withoutadoubt at least 95% bug-free it is likely it would no longer be in beta status and would be available for a cost, rather than a trial.

My best advise is do as the others have mentioned and be very wary of installing anything from a company you have never heard of.

11. Entertained

Entertained Guest

More of this please

I hope we'll see more of this kind of posting when the PC Help Desk forum opens.
    Webbie, When will the new forum open?

12. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Should have it open this week!

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Well-Known Member

I wouldn't bother with it Chuck.