Beware of Jiffy Lube

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by michelle, Aug 24, 2006.

1. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Good to know! Thanks! Wanna buy a bridge?? :wink:

2. Josey Wales

Josey Wales Well-Known Member

I personally know of three instances where local Jiffy Lubes, Quick Lubes, etc. have blown engines by either putting 12 quarts in a 4-quart engine, or not putting any in at all.

At other places I've had my inspections turned down for minor items that I planned on fixing later. Solution: Go to a Quick Lube or Jiffy Lube. They'll pass anything. Don't go for anything else.

3. Oy Yayoy

Oy Yayoy Well-Known Member

Don't even go there for that! You'll likely drive away with your fluids overfilled, your tire pressures screwed up, vaccuum leaks from the hoses they pulled apart trying to get at the air filter to convince you to buy a new one you don't need, and a possibly a bent or damaged air filter housing that will no longer seal because they didn't put it back together correctly.

4. Oy Yayoy

It's the only place you can still get the special antifreeze for your Corvair!

5. Oy Yayoy

Re: cars...Cars...CARS...!

Many of these places REGULARLY overfill the oil a quart. One of the main reason's I will not go to them.

6. Oy Yayoy

Best one I've seen was at a Montgomery Ward garage in PA. A friend of mine had a used car lot. He sold a car to a customer after having a tie rod end replaced, but before he had a chance to have it aligned. So he told the customer to take it anywhere to get it aligned and that he'd pay for it. The customer went to Montgomery Ward, and they told him he needed.... are you ready.... a new tie rod end!!!

7. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

When only a Jiffy Lube- like place will do, I'd say:

1. Stay away from the locales with pits. Rather go with the ones that have lifts.

2. Buy your own oil and filter (check owners manual specs) from Auto Zone or simliar. I don't trust the quick lubes pumping oil from the backroom. Carry exactly what you need.

3. Mark your new oil filter with a Sharpie.

4. Stand there and watch. Act like you know your car.

5. Tell them you've already replaced the air filter.

Most importantly...pull into a nearby parking lot, look under the hood to make sure the filler cap is tight, the dipstick is secure in the tube, and look under the car's engine for any signs of oil leak. A loose drain plug or one that has been stripped is a very very bad thing.

8. Quincy8Boy

Quincy8Boy Well-Known Member

9. Quincy8Boy

Quincy8Boy Well-Known Member

Buddy of mine went to Jiffy Lube in Wilson when we first moved there, 2000, for an oil change because he was going to be going to the airport to fly to PA.

They left the oil fill cap off and he burned up his engine on the outer beltline. (He's not very knowledgeable about cars).

The gave him some money for it. But...

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I have to give a plug to KW's in Clayton, just picked up my van because the pulley for the power steering pump broke and my serpentine belt came off on me last week, this was just after they had replaced my power steering pump. They picked up my van and fixed it at no charge to me, so they really stand behind their work. I feel most places would have charged me since there was no "proof" that it was their fault and probably would have claimed it was a coincidence. This has been my experience in the past with other repair places. So they now have a long-term customer and I couldn't be happier with them. :D
    Honestly, whether or not I was charged was going to determine whether I ever came back although I was willing to pay for 1/2 the cost because it theoretically could have been a coincidence although I had driven the van less than 60 miles since the original repair.

Yeah KW's Auto & Truck Service Inc. !! Their address is 541 N. O'Neil St, Clayton. Phone # is 359-8900. Ask for the owner, Keith and tell him the Catron's sent ya!

Thanks!!