Big Steve's Bagels

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by sarahmama, Aug 28, 2006.

1. MissyPrissy

MissyPrissy Well-Known Member

I am not sure, but I have heard from a couple other people that Brueggers here just doesn't cut it like the Brueggers up north. We have one in my hometown, and they are really good, but I haven't tried the one here yet.

2. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

NY Bagels in NRaleigh is really good..we get them from there for work...YUMMY!

3. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Ok, they sound great and i really miss good bagels but do they have low carb?

running and ducking

4. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

ummmmm..... NOOOO! It wouldn't be a true bagel if it was low carb... geesh Kaci.. why would you want to ruin a perfectly good bagel???

:evil:

5. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

i know i know, just wishful thinking. Will have to splurge one day and check them out, it has been too long without a good fresh bagel.

6. MissyPrissy

Hey, ANOTHER new lunch place for us girl! LOL

7. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Breakfast maybe (no alcohol :lol: )

8. Oy Yayoy

Oy Yayoy Well-Known Member

The ones I've had from Bruegger's were good. Not quite the same bite to them as you'd get in one that came from a deli in Manhattan, but good.

Haven't tried Steve's, but the only ones I've had in the Triangle that could be mistaken for bagels from NYC came from the place in the Harris Teeter shopping center, in Cary, across the street from WakeMed.

9. sarahmama

sarahmama Well-Known Member

Oh, everyone must try these bagels. The prices were great. I got 2 bagels for the kids, with cream cheese, and then one of the breakfast sandwiches. (sausage, egg, and cheese) It was all under $6. It would definitely cost more than that at Brueggers.

I love Brueggers, but they have nothing on Big Steve's. It was worth the wait.

10. scbuff

scbuff Well-Known Member

damn, you guys love your bagels. This much be a yankee thing right.

It was funny to see people actually import their bagels down here from up north :lol:

11. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Although I was raised by northerners, I was born down here and I have a great appreciation for GOOD bagels. I guess its not a northern thing! :wink:

12. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

I wouldn't eat them everyday but I do like a GOOD bagel now and then and Steve's are pretty good. And I'm a born and bred southern boy from here in NC. (Course I'd rather have biscuits and butter or hushpuppies and butter than dessert)

So no it's not just a Northern thing.

Craig

13. MissyPrissy

Ok, finally got to try the bagles and all I can say is OMG THEY WERE SOOOOO GOOD! I'm thrilled that I no longer have to wait til I fly up north to visit family to get some GOOD bagels! Thanks Steve's!! :D

14. Oy Yayoy

Nice having a place to get Boar's Head without driving all the way to Lowe's!

15. Josey Wales

Josey Wales Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

There's a place for us...

...somewhere ...a place for us!

:roll: :lol: :lol:

16. Oy Yayoy

17. Oy Yayoy

Yeeeeehawwwwww!!!! Yankee Biscuits!!!

18. Tamo245

Tamo245 Active Member

I went 2 weeks ago and it was very good but rolls were a little stale at 6:30 pm. They have completly open storage for bread so I guess by dinnertime this is to be expected.

Tonight went back with new Clipper coupon (buy one sandwich & 2 drinks and get a sandwich free). Sandwiches are $4.99. Rang up $16 something after coupon. :?: :!: :?: :!: I asked "are you sure about that?" Cashier said "yep" And guys standing behind her nods. So I ask for a receipt. She starts ringing it again and it is $8 somthing. ummm Ok, maybe a perfectly honest mistake but even if 2 sandwiches were full price with 2 drinks it wouldn't be $16+ and surely you would realize that the price of ONE sandwich and 2 drinks don't cost that much? Right?? Rolls were a little stale again. Boars head meats are VERY good I have to admit. I guess I will give it one more chance as I really had/have high hopes for the place.

19. ubergeek

ubergeek Well-Known Member

I thought the bagels were awesome - very tasty and chewy. The cream cheese is mixed with the veggies, jalapenos or whatever fresh. The bagels were probably fresh as it was Saturday morning.

My bill was a bit high as well, but dear hubby and son got a "Big Steve" and OmG, it was a huge pile of cholesterol on a plate. Like 3 meats, 2 eggs plus fried potatoes on a bagel. Oy, does it count if the protein and fat have the carbs outnumbered ten to one and cowering in fear?

The cappucino is from a machine...that was a bit of a downer. But overall, I'd recommend the place.

20. Josey Wales

Josey Wales Well-Known Member

Chewy!!? You like chewy bread? You Yankees just ain't right.
    They's wonderful when you ain't got no more corn cobs. :lol: