Bin Laden is DEAD!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by MamaApe, May 1, 2011.

1. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

As great as it is to nab OBL, the euphoria will wear off once everyone has to start pumping $4/gas on the way to the unemployment office. Unfortunately, the military can't fix that for jug head.

2. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

I've hesitated to post on this, as I understand the desire for repayment for deeds done.

What does strike me as unusual is the conversations by those who claim their Christianity first and foremost, yet still rejoice over the death of another human.

From an NPR report out today.

The Roman Catholic Church responded to the news of bin Laden's death with this statement: "Faced with the death of a man, a Christian never rejoices, but reflects on the serious responsibility of everyone before God and man, and hopes and pledges that every event is not an opportunity for a further growth of hatred, but of peace."

"I think that's on the mark," says Mike Hayes, a campus minister at the University at Buffalo. "As a Catholic Christian, I cannot celebrate the death of anyone, especially when it is done violently. Naturally, my human nature fights against that idealism, especially when I think of those who I lost personally that day and all those who lost their life on 11 September."

However, adds Hayes, who runs the Googling God blog for young adults, "I don't think that the celebrations in the streets were our finest moment as Americans, and reminded me much of the anger I felt at seeing Afghans dancing in the streets at the fall of the Towers on that dreaded day."

Hayes says: "We are called to forgiveness. And that is the only way that we can be truly free. Holding onto our hatred keeps us in slavery to bin Laden's madness and gives the terrorists continued power over us."

There is also a sense of false elation, he adds, "because many believe that the world is a safer place because of this death. That relief is probably misguided."

3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

An eye for an eye and that is all I have to say about that.

4. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

I agree with all of this and it makes sense in my head, but forgiveness is possibly the hardest thing we are called to do as Christians and that is hard in every day life, let alone asking people to forgive a man like this. I don't believe in my heart that for most people the celebration was about the taking a life, it was about being released from fear, achieving a sense of closure, etc. even if as the author says those may be misguided feelings. Any American who experienced 9/11, no matter where they were, were changed forever that day. For me, there had to be someone that had to answer for that and I for one will not feel guilty or like less of a Christian because I am glad that he is gone. I'll answer to the Lord for that I guess.

5. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I've been noticing the polarized opinions on this matter, too, Hat. I was most certainly glad to hear they got him, but personally, I didn't feel very celebratory. However, I do not find fault one bit with varying expressions of emotion at the news. I equate it similarly to people who are survivors of cancer and how they handle it quite differently. Some will somberly reflect on the battle they have endured. Others will quietly worry that are not truly free of their infirmity. Still, others will feel like celebrating their victory even while others will lose their battle.

I don't see it as revenge, but the fulfillment of justice as determined by men. Osama certainly knew the consequences and fully accepted the outcome as worthy to his cause. Now, he will ultimately face God's judgement. I can only hope that those who were victimized by his hatred for the US, can now find some sense of closure and that we, as a nation, can remember these past ten years with more vigilance than with pride, because evil did not die yesterday with Osama.

6. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Well said, VG and Jester.

I wasn't sitting in judgement, as I know I fall far short of the state of grace I seek. I'm as guilty as the rest, and posted things on a social media site in the excitement that I regret posting. To those few who ask me for guidance, I apologize. My actions were not in keeping with my goal.

7. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

He's in custody already?? What brains? He not so smart if he captive.

8. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I remember having mixed feelings when they hung Saddam Hussein. There were questions in my mind. With bin Laden I'm just glad he is gone. They gave him a chance to surrender, even though I doubt they would have stopped if he had thrown his arms up. This guys was pure evil and would stop at nothing to kill us. I'm not thrilled with all of the dancing in the streets, but I'm convinced that we did the right thing.

9. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

Lex talionis.

Sometimes a dangerous animal must be destroyed. We shouldn't rejoice in it, but it's something that must be done.

10. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

hey, i was gonna say that first!

db's wife

11. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

If you had posted the phrase "eye for an eye" on Facebook before Bin Laden was killed Bin Laden himself would have clicked "LIKE THIS"

DB's wife

12. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

No apologies necessary, Hat. I think it's an important piece of the situation to keep in mind, for sure.

13. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Pretty much! I take no "joy" in ANY of this, but I am not going to sit back and say a small part of my soul isn't glad a Navy Seal took him out either. 8)

My DH is a bit pessimistic about it all though, the timing is "interesting". Hard to think they haven't known exactly where he was for longer than they are saying. No, not getting my tinfoil hat out, but as more details become available it seems the fox has been in the hen house a danged long time. I'm sure we will never know.

14. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

You do realize this was all timed to interrupt "The Donald's" TV show in the Pacific Time Zone on Sunday evening.

He had to be steamed! :mrgreen:

15. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

yeah, that must have been it. :mrgreen:

16. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

:iagree:

17. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Pacific Time Zone HELL!!!!

I still don't know who he fired!!!! :)

18. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

You and me both!! :twisted::twisted:

19. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

me 3, i'm just sorry it wasn't a slower more painful death for all the lives he took.

:evil:

20. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I was glad to see that his burial was handled the way it was by the CIA/military. For there to have been a grave would have meant additional publicity as mourners made him a martyr and those images splashed across the internet, TV and newspapers for years. There may be some reprisals for his death and the way his burial was handled (already being condemned), but ultimately, it was likely for the best. In the name of peace, I think most people--including most muslims--would likely agree. It is time to move on.