Breakfast Casserole?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by kdc1970, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Bluewillow

Bluewillow Well-Known Member

Bacon, Tomato and Cheddar Breakfast Bake with Eggs
    Adapted from Food & Wine

1 pound white artisan bread cut into 1" cubes (16 cups)
    1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    1 pound sliced applewood smoked bacon or other good quality smoked bacon, cut into 1/2" pieces
    1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
    One 28 ounce can whole Italian tomatoes-drained, chopped and patted dry
    1/2 pound extra-sharp cheddar, shredded (8 ounces)
    1/2 pound Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (8 ounces)
    2 Tablespoons snipped chives
    1-3/4 cups chicken broth
    6 large eggs

Preheat oven to 350o F. Lightly oil a 9 x 13 glass baking dish. In a large bowl, toss the bread with the olive oil and spread on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake for about 20 minutes, tossing once or twice, until the bread is golden and lightly crispy.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the bacon over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 8 minutes. Transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain: reserve 2 Tablespoons of the fat in the skillet.

Add the onion to the skillet and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook until liquid is evaporated, about 3 minutes.

Return the toasted bread cubes to the bowl. Add the contents of the skillet, along with the bacon, shredded cheeses, chives and broth. Stir until the bread is evenly moistened. Spread the mixture in the baking dish and cover with lightly oiled foil.

Bake the bread mixture in the center of the oven for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake until the top is crispy, about 15 minutes longer. Carefully remove the baking dish from the oven and using a ladle, press 6 indentations into the bread mixture (you can do 8 if you want to). Crack an egg into each indentation. Return the dish to the oven and bake for about 15 minutes, until the egg whites are set but the yolks are still runny. Cook longer if you do not want runny yolks.

Serve right away while it's warm.

I found this on Noblepig.com. I haven't tried it yet, but I am planning to make it for New Years.

2. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

Would you mind sharing what brand/type of granola you like to use for this recipe? I recently tried to make a knock-off version of Ruby Tuesday's yogurt parfait and the granola I chose ruined it so I want to make sure to get it right this time :lol: Thanks--this recipe sounds great!

3. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

Been there done that! Some of them just make it soggy or they taste "chalky" to me.

I always use either Nature Valley Oat & Honey Granola or the Kellogg's brand. They both have been good in this recipe. Enjoy! It's one of my favs

4. SubMom727

SubMom727 Well-Known Member

Here is a "sweet" casserole I fixed last year and have been asked to prepare again this Christmas morning.

Blueberry Breakfast Bonanza

1 12-oz loaf French Bread - cubed
    1 16-oz pkg. frozen blueberries (or 3 cups fresh) - reserve 1 cup
    1 12-oz. cream cheese - softened
    1 cup sour cream
    2/3 cup brown sugar
    3/4 cup milk
    1 tsp.vanilla
    1/2 cup maple syrup
    10 eggs - beaten
    1 tsp. ground cinnamon

Coat 9 x 13 glass baking dish with non-stick spray. Place bread cubes in baking dish, sprinkle berries (2 cups) on top. In a large bowl beat cream cheese until smooth, add sour cream, brown sugar, milk & maple syrup, beat until smooth. Add eggs, cinnamon and vanilla. Mix until well blended. Pour over bread cubes & berries. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake covered in preheated 350 oven for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until there are no signs of visible liquid egg or about 20 - 25 minutes. Sprinkle remaining berries on top and serve with additional syrup if desired.

Enjoy!

5. mom2two

mom2two Well-Known Member

Cleopatra, what school? Someone brought in one to my kids school and everyone wanted receipt and I was just curious if that was you? :)

6. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Yep, that was me. :cool:

7. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

I made your recipe on the morning after Christmas and everyone seemed to like it. My DH whined and complained because he didn't think he would like the combination of flavors and was a big pain in the arse the whole time it was cooking, I wanted to throttle him by the time I got it on the table (or dump it in his lap :lol:) but after everyone tried it...they all decided the recipe was a keeper. Some liked it with the "sauce" and some without. Our family tends to like things with a lot of flavor so I may put a little more cinnamon/vanilla on the french toast or use homemade french toast next time but we all really enjoyed it. It was the first time two of my kids had Canadian bacon and they kept asking "What is it again??" :p I thought it was very good! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

8. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I made this this morning. The hush puppy topping was different for sure. It serves 12 and I was cooking for 2, maybe 3. (second New Year's Day celebration since Mr. Man was on the hunt yesterday) I used 4 eggs instead of 6, ¾lb sausage and 1c milk instead of two. I was afraid of it turning out soggy. lol It turned out better than I thought it would. DS says it needs more cheese. Could have used something more to spice it up... Probably a good recipe to play with. Plenty of it left over. Hope it's good reheated.

9. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

Most welcome.... I've added cinnamon/sugar to the apples before and it definitely made it more tasty (should have told you that :oops:) .... I tried it with homemade french toast before and it turned out soggy. I think the frozen stuff is what makes it not turn out this way. So if you're just looking for more flavor add it to the apples before you layer it on.

10. David

David Well-Known Member

I am making this tomorrow Cleo. BTW the term you are looking for raw scrambled eggs is "Beaten."