Browser spyware.....

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by clive, Jan 21, 2009.

1. clive

clive Well-Known Member

My browser (IE) keeps getting routed to another website (http://browser-security.microsoft.com/block.php?r=21.0) whenever I try to navigate within a website or link to another. It's blocking everything I try to do and my AVG software cannot clean it from my computer nor did it prevent it from being downloaded.......obviously.
    My self-storage and U-Haul rental software is all web-based so I cannot get any work done until i get this removed.
    Has anyone encountered this and can anyone tell me the steps i need to take to remove it?
    Thanks in advance.

2. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

never use IE

use firefox.....scan AVG in safe mode

3. clive

clive Well-Known Member

Thanks GWP. I'll give that a try.
    Anyone else with any further suggestions?

4. clive

clive Well-Known Member

Tried it but it didn't work.

5. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

Sounds like spyware. I would post some sites to clean it but you say they are getting hijacked so......

First thing I always do to my Windows computer is install a real Operating System.

6. FoxChassis

FoxChassis Well-Known Member

Doesn't sound like a browser hijacker to me. Not if it's trying to send you to microsoft.com. But it could be. Sounds more like browser or firewall setting.

Now would be one of those time I would recommend a HijackThis scan and logfile analysis.

http://majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  7. appcomm

appcomm Well-Known Member

In the past, I have often recommended using the free scan from ewido.net - and still use it as part of a toolkit to remove these types of infections. However, over the past several months I have run into several different malware problems that no program would locate and remove - other than a new one I have started using which is MalwareBytes. You can download the free version from their site at: http://www.malwarebytes.org/ (There is a link on the left hand side of the page where they direct you to CNET for the download.)

Malwarebytes has detected and cleaned some of the worst kind of malware and trojan viruses that I have ever come across - when some of the other programs didn't even "see" them. I would suggest downloading it and giving it a try to see if it will alleviate your issues.

8. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

FYI: I just came on here to see if anyone can help me, I have the same virus Clive does (the computer, not me!). It's called Antivirus 360, or Antivirus 2009, and it's horrible! I've been running AVG and anything else I can find to get rid of it. My computer is much better today, but I think it's still here. This Virus presents itself as something your computer needs to clean up viruses, and that's where it gets you! It's a very strong virus, and can get through just about any kind of virus protection program/adware protection program! You can read all about it online, it's affecting millions across the world, and it got me on Friday...:twisted:

9. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Try the malware bytes software that appcomm posted. It has worked in places that some other stuff hasn't in my experience.

Craig

10. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

do they charge you? it looks like it's a free trial, which usually means they'll scan for you, but not take care of the problem! anyone know before i attempt it?

11. appcomm

appcomm Well-Known Member

The Malwarebytes is a full version that is free, and will remove problems it finds.

12. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Never count on '1' spyware remover to be a catch all. Especially if your're using free versions. Us two, even, three if you want true protection.

Your firewall is the most important defense from destructive spyware. Put more amplitude in it than any other expenditure if you plan on buying software.

I wish someone would develop a software that allowed two or more firewalls to operate in the OS without the current conflicts they experience. A software that would allow all to work with a central control.

13. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Thanks so much everyone, this took care of the problem!! Thank goodness, I don't have the money to pay a professional, I didn't know what to do! I just checked my add/remove programs and it's not listed there anymore, and I've been on the web for about an hour with no issues!