Burger King / Gas Station 40/42

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Hotwire, Dec 24, 2015.

1. lawnboy

lawnboy Well-Known Member

A LIGHT at Tech. dr? Are you kidding? So, they're going to route all that traffic going between the ABC and 42, and between the ABC and Cleveland Rd through via a 2-lane, curvy strip of road that ends with a STOP SIGN?

What a nightmare. It will free up traffic toward the interchange, which is needed desperately, but good luck if you need to go to any of those shops off Glen Rd. It will be twice as bad as it is now.

2. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

You will still be able to turn right on Glen Dr off 42 West, and turn right from Glen onto 42 West. You will just no longer be able to make a left there or go straight across at that intersection. Something like this below. There would be a dedicated lane coming off I-40E onto 42W that turns right onto Glen Dr as well.
    Capture.GIF

Rockyv58 likes this.
  3. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

what about the hill / blindspot at cleveland / glen rd. It's already scary

Rockyv58 and Kelyel like this.
  4. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

I also heard you gonna get on 40 @ Mr. Marvins but you can't get off.

5. PoohBear

PoohBear Well-Known Member

I think this may be OK.

6. Bucky

Bucky Active Member

Thanks jesse. Will be interesting to see it play out. There are a lot of people that use Commerce Pkwy as a shortcut everyday that will have to go to 42/Cleveland Rd to turn, which is already a mess. Looks like at least another 3 years before we really have to worry about it! From the link you posted I can only imagine the mess that the 42 widening project will create. At least there's a good chance I will be long gone before that one gets into full gear!

Rockyv58 likes this.
  7. Romeo

Romeo Active Member

It's longer, but faster usually, to turn off of Cleveland Road and take Cornwallis to 42.

8. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Hey Romeo.....love your Avatar.

Sherry

Romeo likes this.
  9. Bucky

Bucky Active Member

LOL. Depends on where your going! If I'm going to Lowes Foods I will in most cases go Cleveland Rd to 42. If I'm going to Lowes Home Improvement I go Cornwallis to 42!

10. Romeo

Romeo Active Member

When going to 50, you can go the other direction on Cornwallis, make a right turn at the stop sign, go to the next stop sign (Old Drug Store Road), make a left turn and then turn right at the stop light. Lowes will be on your left. ;)

11. Bucky

Bucky Active Member

There are a lot of ways to get to a lot of places. I know all about the back way to most of them. I could also just take Shiloh to Cornwallis to old Drug Store Rd, which I do occasionally. But, I would surely not take Cornwallis to 42 to get to say Food Lion, or any place W of 40 off of 42! E of 40 yes, W nope. I'm sure there are a few that like that potential demolition derby at 40/42 but, I'm not one of them.

My original post was about the increased traffic you are going to see at 42/Cleveland when the light at Commerce Pkwy/Glen Rd is taken out and I don't see how taking Cornwallis to 42 has anything to do with that? Another nightmare in the happening will be the traffic increase on Cornwallis when the new subdivision across from Cleveland middle school is built. Traffic around 7:30am weekdays is already almost backed up to the bridge waiting to get through the 42 interchange! Now throw in the future 42 widening project and it just gets plain ugly. Luckily it will be several years before we have to worry about the widening project.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    Romeo and poppin cork like this.
  12. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

I finally stopped at BK. The gas station & store are gone. Not being renovated, but has closed up.

13. markfnc

Not a fan of some DOT ideas, but this will be one of those everyone will complain about, but once done, it'll work great. Like the new exit from 40 east to cabellas & White Oak. I couldn't picture that in my head working but even at 6 at night, it works great.

14. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Just wait until there is an exit for 540 on Cornwallis/White Oak Road up by the Good Samaritan Baptist Church. The 42/Cornwallis intersection will be even busier. But that will be like 5 years from now at least.

Rockyv58 likes this.
  15. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

But isn't it more like 5 years before they at least start? I figure I will be in my mid to late 70's before they finish the loop. And I am 57 (turning 58 in March) currently.

Romeo likes this.
  16. Bucky

Bucky Active Member

LOL. There are advantages to getting old Rocky and missing this mess will be one of them. I'm pretty sure I won't be around to worry about seeing the outer loop completed or the eventual widening of 42.

Rockyv58 likes this.
  17. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Very true. but public transportation is non existent in this area. so when I am old enough where I can no longer drive I will have no way of getting around :( but that is left for another thread not this one

Romeo likes this.
  18. 05fx4x4

05fx4x4 New Member

Stopped by BK the other day and asked an employee about the closing. She said the owners of the building wanted a $4000.00 a month increase in the rent and they said forget it. So far, no new interested prospects.

19. markfnc

I like the renovated Burger King, the outdoor seating where gas station used to be is nice.

Auxie and poppin cork like this.